+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast
    Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Bitcoin mining isn't even profitable anymore.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    What do you do with all these video cards anyway?
    Anytime I buy a card I'll use it for some period of time. Then if the getting is good I'll sell it or use it for a build to sell. Sometimes I get stuck with cards like this Sapphire HD 7870 I've had for over a year. Can't even get $40 for it even tho it's a decent 1080p card. I've had the Vega 56 for quite awhile now but it's unable to do 1440p/144hz maxed. As an example, Far Cry New Dawn averages 67 fps on the Ultra preset.

I'm also looking for a card for my living room PC. That one I'm not too concerned with having maxed out stuff, but it would be nice to get a deal on something like a 980 TI. I'm even considering holding onto the Vega because I don't think I'd get a great return on it. Just not sure what I want to do yet.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Well the good news is that if you put a Vega 56 into your living room PC it will double as a space heater during the winter.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Extra 20% off select Amazon Warehouse deals items. Link below is for electronics. I grabbed a Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 for $211 out the door. PC parts are few and far between currently, but they add stuff so keep an eye on it.

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=electroni...9676011_nr_i_1

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Extra 20% off select Amazon Warehouse deals items. Link below is for electronics. I grabbed a Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 for $211 out the door. PC parts are few and far between currently, but they add stuff so keep an eye on it.

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=electroni...9676011_nr_i_1
    So are you basically satisfied with the Vega 56 as a chip just unsatisfied with the MSI blower reference cooler?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    So are you basically satisfied with the Vega 56 as a chip just unsatisfied with the MSI blower reference cooler?
    Hit the nail on the head. I decided to do a RMA on the MSI card on Monday because it's starting to get some coil whine and also it was stuttering a bit in The Outer Worlds, as in abnormal stuttering. Saw the same in Ark. In the past it also had a few random crashes so decided screw it why not RMA while it's under warranty. If I was sticking to 60hz then Vega 56 is incredible for 1440P. I should've tested more games while I had it but Far Cry 5 & New Dawn aren't necessarily pushovers and to do 65+ on Ultra preset is really good considering you can do better once playing with other settings.

I've used a couple blower cards in the past for builds I sold but that was years ago and never did I test them for long periods of gaming. The noise level at least on the MSI Vega 56 Air Boost is unacceptable in my opinion. And if you don't have the fan cranked, there is a chance you could run into the card not reaching it's potential because of throttling. Let's say MSI sends me back my card or a refurb Vega 56 blower. I can still sell it for close to what I paid for the Sapphire. Fair trade in my book while waiting for prices to dip on the 5700 XT. When I do decide to pony up money for a higher end card I'm not going to mess around this time. I'm going for highest rated in noise level while still maintaining performance.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Possible to swap the cooler or just not worth it on an interim card?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    Possible to swap the cooler or just not worth it on an interim card?
    You could swap out the blower cooler, but after cost on doing so are you close to a RX 5700? I actually considered slapping on a Kraken G10 and a Corsair H50 I have laying around, but once I had a few crashes I decided to not touch it because I didn't want MSI to be able to come back with a denial for warranty stating I'm at fault because I modded the card.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yeah for sure there's no point buying a card to do that, but if it's already a sunk cost and your have a cooler that fits...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Another Wednesday at 3 AM, another strike out on scoring an EVGA B-stock deal. Site took a minute to load but when it finally did the only things worthwhile were Titan cards. I double checked the Titan X is the Pascal version, AKA the good one that doesn't cost more than your car, and at 3:06 AM that ($150) everything worth a damn was sold out. I hate sounding like a tin foil hat wearing pessimist but are there actual bots doing the buying so fast?

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Another Wednesday at 3 AM, another strike out on scoring an EVGA B-stock deal. Site took a minute to load but when it finally did the only things worthwhile were Titan cards. I double checked the Titan X is the Pascal version, AKA the good one that doesn't cost more than your car, and at 3:06 AM that ($150) everything worth a damn was sold out. I hate sounding like a tin foil hat wearing pessimist but are there actual bots doing the buying so fast?
    Definitely lol

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Dumb question but excluding the holidays is there ever a good time in the year to buy monitors since they'll normally be on sale then?

Was thinking of getting a dual monitor set up once I save up a bit and wondering if there is a good time to buy.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I personally have never bought a monitor during a specific sale. However, I guess this years BF/CM was stronger than usual. The last two I bought were both open box. One from Monoprice and one from a trusted seller on Ebay. Both during extra $$ off during purchase. Keep an eye on slickdeals and /r/buildapcsales for when a good deal pops for a monitor. Oh, and sometimes Staples will have very good deals. The only question with any Staples deal is will it actually ship or will they claim it's a price mistake and cancel.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Excluding holiday sales there's no real regularity to sales. Certain monitors will regularly go on sale, figure out what you want stat wise (144/165 Hz vs. 240, 24" vs 27", 1080p or 1440p or 4k, IPS or TN, etc.) and then look up good popular monitors with those features then watch for a price drop.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Will do. Thanks.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Since I don't think this is worth its own thread, I thought I'd ask here.

I've been using a old audio extension cable for a very long time to plug the audio part of my headphones to the speakers (came from Radio Shack!) I have a feeling it is going out; been getting static in the left ear of my headset lately. I think it's just OLD cable. Yes, I redid the drivers to be safe but when I have that cable in and I get static and no cable, no static, there's your problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on female-to-male audio cables/deals on such? I'll proly go with shorter than I have been using anyway...Just want to be sure I can get a good one. Can't be mad at the Radio Shack cable, it's had a real good run, like 10+ years.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I have several Dominator Plats 8GB 2666MHz sticks and need to get rid of them. What's a good asking price since they are used and without box.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DrClout View Post
    I have several Dominator Plats 8GB 2666MHz sticks and need to get rid of them. What's a good asking price since they are used and without box.

Looks like 2x8GB is $93 brand new. I don't think $35-$40 per stick would be bad.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Thanks, I was going to give them up for $30 so glad I wasnt far off

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Alright my dudes and dudettes I just robbed someone of their GPU and now I want to pass on a good deal on my card to a BG Good Brother/Sister. If no one is interested I'll have to brave the depths of Reddit or worse case FB Marketplace. Yes I know we have a for sale section but most people that are looking for a deal look, well, in the deals thread and I want to get attention.

The video card I will be selling is a MSI Vega 56 Air Boost OC. This card has Samsung HBM memory. I tried flashing to a Vega 64 BIOS using ATI Flash, but it wouldn't take. I didn't bother trying with cmd so I don't know if this card can be flashed. It has dual BIOS so if someone wants to brave it they can. Once undervolted and the fan curve tinkered to your preference you get a cooler running quieter card than what a normal stock reference gives. I gave the memory a slight overclock but have not pushed things. Samsung memory is supposed to be able to do more than a card with Hynix.

I am not settled on a price yet. I can tell you Reddit has ranged between $200-$230 because of the Samsung memory. If you are in the market for a card and were looking at this price point roughly we can work up some numbers. Eventually I'll put a thread in For Sale. PM of course. I'll be in and out the remainder of the day so if I don't get back right away that is why.