1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 45 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 14 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 14 hours, 45 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 19 hours, 14 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Thanks for the tip about the cache, I finally got to hear this battle music. (*'-')/

I'm just trying to say I don't think it will always be 7 jobs. I know full well that its still in the alpha stages, I just (mis)understood some people saying there will ONLY be 7 classes, which I don't think is true.

Also: I want a special Boss Battle BGM to play when you engage World Spawn NMs. Fighting Leaping Lizzy should be more intense than a regular Rock Lizard! And fighting Fafnir should be have an even more intense track to compliment it. Sucks to hear the same BGM I'm used to hearing EXPing in Boyahda/Quicksands when fighting a big, vicious Dragon.

Fuck Antica

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    Thanks for the tip about the cache, I finally got to hear this battle music. (*'-')/

I'm just trying to say I don't think it will always be 7 jobs. I know full well that its still in the alpha stages, I just (mis)understood some people saying there will ONLY be 7 classes, which I don't think is true.

Also: I want a special Boss Battle BGM to play when you engage World Spawn NMs. Fighting Leaping Lizzy should be more intense than a regular Rock Lizard! And fighting Fafnir should be have an even more intense track to compliment it. Sucks to hear the same BGM I'm used to hearing EXPing in Boyahda/Quicksands when fighting a big, vicious Dragon.

Fuck Antica
    There's just so much in this post I don't know

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    FFXI launched with 6 jobs, so 7 in FFXIV would already be an improvement. Besides, at a certain point adding more classes just becomes fan service. At least half of the jobs in FFXI are redundent.
    I posted that earlier but removed it. There was also 4 advanced jobs unlocked, no? Well, they werent avaible immediatly I guess, but they still existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinfire View Post
    I hope there are different specs and not only different specs but Personal Character customization (sounds that way with the different elements and affinities they mentioned) but for now yeah 7 is enough besides this is just an ALPHA.
    That's one of the idea that sound cool in theory, but rarely work well in a mmo environment.

If your customization is useful, it means someone else is useless. In the end, everyone will take the most useful alternative (making the customization option useless), or someone will be left out (LF FireMage for Shiva, Ice mage= no thanks).

It's like FFXI synergy system. The only items people bothered with is "vs bird"....you can specialize for everything, yet, everyone will be identical.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post

Fuck Antica
    And Eye of the Tiger should start playing when I fight collibri. Maybe time would pass faster.

Xavier

Hey.

I don't think it'll be 7 forever either but I wouldn't be surprised if this was it for now. Fewer classes equals fewer classes for Square to completely neglect.

Fairly confident it was just 6 at launch, and that Pld, Drk, Rng, Brd, Bst and Smn (whose only avatar was Carbuncle) were released before Zilart came out, and then Zilart added Sam, Nin and Drg. NA players were spoiled by having 15 jobs at their start.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    I posted that earlier but removed it. There was also 4 advanced jobs unlocked, no? Well, they werent avaible immediatly I guess, but they still existed.

That's one of the idea that sound cool in theory, but rarely work well in a mmo environment.

If your customization is useful, it means someone else is useless. In the end, everyone will take the most useful alternative (making the customization option useless), or someone will be left out (LF FireMage for Shiva, Ice mage= no thanks).

It's like FFXI synergy system. The only items people bothered with is "vs bird"....you can specialize for everything, yet, everyone will be identical.
    Well they should allow all customizations to be useful and help with different playstyle, Also the customization whatever it is should be able to respec it, maybe not easily but you should be able to. And its just a thought. at the very least there should be some form of talent tree's or specializations. If the conjurer can heal / dps / buff the customization should allow people to have better heals dps or buffs but not make them obsolete (I.E. Dps spec should still be able to heal efficently unless there is another conjurer that specializes in heals then he would naturally be better.)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

@xavier
    I have no choice but to agree since I made the same statement a few posts ago, I was just nitpicking the "6 jobs" part (unless drg/brd/pld/bst were added later and I'm just wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinfire View Post
    Well they should allow all customizations to be useful and help with different playstyle, Also the customization whatever it is should be able to respec it, maybe not easily but you should be able to. And its just a thought. at the very least there should be some form of talent tree's or specializations. If the conjurer can heal / dps / buff the customization should allow people to have better heals dps or buffs but not make them obsolete (I.E. Dps spec should still be able to heal efficently unless there is another conjurer that specializes in heals then he would naturally be better.)
    There is always a way to do thing right, I'm just pointing out the double edge sword that is "customization" in an environment where everyone try to be optimal.

I'm hoping you will carry a large amount of gears/weapon, and you will be able to change your style on the fly ( between battle) by changing your equipment, kinda like BLU in FFXI. Something like this could works. However, trying to make everyone "unique" and powerful on different thing will end up creating huge balance issue.

Xavier

I edited my post above with the job history of FFXI. I could be wrong but I'm fairly confident what I posted is accurate.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I stand corrected. My bad.

[edit]

Looking back at it, it's weird that advanced job aren't more advanced than normal job in any way. You would expect them to be an upgrade.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    I stand corrected. My bad.

[edit]

Looking back at it, it's weird that advanced job aren't more advanced than normal job in any way. You would expect them to be an upgrade.
    How so? Look at FFT, you started with two classes and eventually you had classes that required like 4 jobs leveled to unlock it. But the new ones weren't really any more OP (ok, Calculator was situationally OP, but exceptions exist). Monk wasn't more OP than Knight. Oracle wasn't more OP than White Mage, etc.

I don't think there's any precedence in the FF series for "advanced" jobs being more powerful either. It's not like you go from Squire to Knight to White Knight to Holy Knight, FF just gives you extra options, not clearcut upgrades. Other series work with straight upgrades (and I suppose FF1 had clear cut upgrades, but you also didn't have choices) but that's not an FF thing.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Wow this battle music is really good. It's pretty long compared to the battle themes in FFXI but its still very entertaining.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Garona

Kuro did you get in? If so, I hate you. If not, please disregard! (where are you hearing the music)

A. Body
    BG Level

I get the impression that these are simply base classes; starting templates with multiple outcomes. They said that using certain abilities would develop...something in that vein, I can't remember the actual text. Point being, Glad, Pug, & Mar (NEW SHORTHAND >:O) all have defensive stances; using these and their associated abilities could make each class a tank as time goes on. It does sound a lot like WoW's talent system, but in WoW you can fight like one tree and still choose to spec another. Unlikely, I know, but how many hybrids off-spec'd healer? I didn't, but I'm an asshole. Anyway, this system seems like it'll take note of your playstyle and adjust your growth accordingly.

I really don't see how there 'only' being 7 classes is a problem, since I expected 4 or less. If the customization was as great as they were suggesting, you'd theoretically only need 1 or 2 classes to start with. In Ragnarok Online, for example, you always start as a Novice. You build it to a certain point, then change it into one of the starting classes. After that, it eventually can change into one of two other classes. I can sorta understand why they went this way though: building towards a play style you already know you want, even if it's a relatively short amount of time, could be very tedious. Going from Battle Aco to Monk in RO was a pain in the ass even on a private server (exp boost). Better to have a few templates and grow from there.

So I think there always WILL be only the 7 classes, but in name only.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by Meko View Post
    Kuro did you get in? If so, I hate you. If not, please disregard! (where are you hearing the music)
    Nah I didn't get in. Still hoping for a slot in the second wave of invites. Go to finalfantasyxiv.com and click on JP site for new music.

Banned.

BG Level

Seems like TP won't empty out when you use a "weapon skill." I really love how creative some of these "weapon skills" are. Sounds like TP will live up to its name.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

In the videos from Gamescom you can tell that TP isn't fully depleted when using a move. Instead each move seems to have a set amount of TP that it consumes. Seems pretty cool imo. ;o

I'VE CHOSEN A TITLE FOR THE LIKES OF YOU!
    BG Level

Waitin' for my Great Katana weapon. ;o

Classes are sounding really interesting... in terms of tanking, I feel like all the classes have a good "defense" ability, even the heavy attackers like Marauder.

Can't wait till everyone gets to play!

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Garona

If the TP is used like in FF13, it'll be neat. It provides more balance and more options in my opinion. Obviously different abilities/spells will carry different TP weight but I totally dig that idea. I'm really interested to see the skills and trees/expansion of abilities.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    Wow this battle music is really good. It's pretty long compared to the battle themes in FFXI but its still very entertaining.
    Sounds like the Mission Impossible theme to me.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

kuro do you have a link to the video? i'd like to see some real 14 fighting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast