1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 17 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 42 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -4 hours, -43 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 13 hours, 42 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    Sounds like the Mission Impossible theme to me.
    Omg. Now I can't get that out of my head. The first like 30 seconds does sound like that. ><;;

I have the links saved at home for the videos. Just search youtube and gametrailers.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike View Post
    Yeah, and wasn't weapon choice supposed to be a big deal? So like you could have a Puglist that uses h2h weapons and plays like a monk, or one that equips daggers and plays like a thief, getting slightly different abilities based on weapon choice. Or was that idea scrapped?

WoW only launched with 8 classes per faction. Starting with 7 isn't so bad, especially because people are going to expect more classes as the game goes on and starting low allows you to do this a bit easier.
    Also keep in mind that when WoW launched half of the talent trees were essentially worthless.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    I just hope it doesn't turn out too much like WoW when the mages run out of mana "ok guys thats a wipe."

Archer info has me excited. Thanks for the translation Elmer. :D
    That hasn't happened since... vanilla, has it?

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    That hasn't happened since... vanilla, has it?
    Nah man it still does, as sad as it sounds. Everything is essentially a DPS-race before your healers run out of mana. lol I played WoW's end game all the way to TotGC Anub-arak but somehow I preferred the battles in FFXI more for some reason.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

music seems interesting..
    intro almost feels too long for a battle track tho.. then again, that depends on how long battles in XIV are. Probably evens out if its a party vs party battle..

Old Merits
    BG Level

I sure hope with the elemental affinity thing that it's easy to change. I can just see it now, I spend thousands of hours on my character and give them an Ice affinity, and then one of the most important HNMs requires Fire affinity not to be raped. Therefore negating all my work and making me useless to everyone for that fight making it impossible to get whatever it is you get from it.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike View Post
    How so? Look at FFT, you started with two classes and eventually you had classes that required like 4 jobs leveled to unlock it. But the new ones weren't really any more OP (ok, Calculator was situationally OP, but exceptions exist). Monk wasn't more OP than Knight. Oracle wasn't more OP than White Mage, etc.

I don't think there's any precedence in the FF series for "advanced" jobs being more powerful either. It's not like you go from Squire to Knight to White Knight to Holy Knight, FF just gives you extra options, not clearcut upgrades. Other series work with straight upgrades (and I suppose FF1 had clear cut upgrades, but you also didn't have choices) but that's not an FF thing.
    Sam was more OP than Knight, fosho. Drg was more OP than Knight, fosho. Monk was the shining example of a base job being incredibly strong - all the others were good, but were outclassed later.

They shouldn't call them advanced jobs if they aren't going to have some nuance that either makes them stronger, or at least more varied/complicated than the initial jobs.

I know I wouldn't want to play a MMO that had an established lore behind it without getting new jobs at least every other expansion, simply because I'd know that the franchise has so many classes that they could put in the game.

With 14 renaming its jobs, there's a chance they're going to be merging quite a few jobs into one, or pulling a ff12 and allowing certain abilities to be spread out into other areas. I could absolutely see green magic making a resurgence as its own school.

Whatever, though. Just give me my lancer and make it so the gladiator can eventually learn white magic for my paladin build and I'll be happy. Gotta have my Cecil and Kain in every FF or I get pissed.

Edit: They are absolutely moving to a more solo-friendly game, and one where we'll be swamped by mobs at times. Just about every job has a way to regain health. We'll have to see how potent those abilities are, but for now, I am loving the change.

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Lancer4lyfe. Sounds like Sam (TP manipulation) Drk (Consume HP for damage) and Drg all rolled up into one. Needs to put some Jumps up in thurr.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I'm with you, commander. Lead us into the golden age of lances!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Meko View Post
    I think it means that you'll have to balance or manage your MP use while doing a specific quest or encounter (boss fight or king fight etc). Other classes/abilities can replenish this (maybe more food based or potion based too) along with the crystal what-have-you that can replenish this as well.
    I'm thinking that MP, HP, and TP are linked and you manage all three together. You build TP using magic, when you use the TP, you regain HP or MP depending upon how you use it, sort of like DNC uses flourishes (don't know much about DNC, so I could be wrong on that point.) Recovery won't be 100%, but apparently you won't consume all of your TP if you choose the right move.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Garona

Quote Originally Posted by McGoonagle View Post
    I'm thinking that MP, HP, and TP are linked and you manage all three together. You build TP using magic, when you use the TP, you regain HP or MP depending upon how you use it, sort of like DNC uses flourishes (don't know much about DNC, so I could be wrong on that point.) Recovery won't be 100%, but apparently you won't consume all of your TP if you choose the right move.
    That would be pretty awesome if that were the case. I didn't think of it like that at first but I could totally see that being the way it's handled. Interesting idea nonetheless.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Some great info in there, thanks again Elmer

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Ghostlands

umm..

You could not log in because the service account in question is not registered.
    If you would like to log in to the service, please log in to the Square Enix Account Management System and register the service account.

how to fix this??

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rionel View Post
    Waitin' for my Great Katana weapon. ;o
    Ever consider you might have to wait until an Expansion?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shuichi Shadowstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

This new onslaught of info has me excited. Looking forward to XIV. Also, this battle music on the JPN site is quite nice.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

18:55 GMT EU English site and NA site still haven't been updated god damn it SE get some working staff!

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer the Pointy View Post
    For example, a Blacksmith may get an ability that enfeebles a gold-based enemy or one that increases the chances of having treasure drop.
    This interests me, in that it indicates that there might be serious attempts at making a "slayer" type ability that actually has reasonable effects- and that not just elemental strengths/weaknesses will matter to a party.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I'd like to see what type of "gold-based" enemies there are, and more importantly, what loot they drop, and what you can steal off of them.

FFT-A2 had some interesting descriptions of their gold armors: one in particular described a retired thief scraping enough gilt-edge off of a Knight's gold armor to retire right then and there.

Just something else that could be interesting. I do so enjoy speculation (and the hope that comes with it) of a newly-hyped game.

Quote Originally Posted by Max™ View Post
    Blood Bath = Blood Weapon for Warrior...

Fuck yeah, Marauder for life, motherfuckers.
    http://gameavatar.org/wordpress/wp-c...re-247x300.jpg

Blood for the Blood God, skulls for his throne!

I expect to see that one show up in no time in macros...

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin View Post
    A lot of the things said so far about FFXIV could apply to FFXI, too. There's no telling just how much elemental resistances, positioning, etc. will affect gameplay.

FFXI mobs have resistances, and positioning matters for various skills, traits, and tasks. It's hard to say how much of the developer's comments are embellishments of something that will not affect gameplay as much as it seems, and how much are core fundamentals of combat.
    A lot of the abilities listed do seem to indicate positioning is important. Skewer is a straightline multiple-target attack, Pugilists get bonus damage for smacking opponents from behind, so can Lancers, Gladiators have an ability that deals more damage if they're not the one with aggro.

Focusing all the attacks on one meleer doesn't always seem good- Pugilist seems to have a "counter" ability that works off of the enemy attacking them and/or missing. Feint and Haymaker work off of missed enemy attacks (though if they work off of any missed attack, even better), Marauders can stop TP use if they parry and then Fracture the opponent.

I like the idea that fighting will be more mobile and that immobility is actually a tradeoff with some dangers- like the Conjurer's Spirit Bind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast