+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Hands free devices are highly encouraged here, so I doubt they are being made illegal.

BEHEMOR IS COME
    TAKE ALL HIGH QUALITY

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dont Kare
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Uther

I think a lot of you are missing a big point. If it's such a huge safety concern then it should go on your record if you get pulled over for it. Drunk driving goes on your record, speeding goes on your record, if they want to make something a primary offense it should go on your record, raise insurance etc... Otherwise people aren't really going to learn. Not to point out a stereotype but for people in Bellevue they'll get a little ticket, pay it off and not care. (I know not everyone in Bellevue is crazy rich but you guys get it)

Banned.

BG Level

As a WA resident, I'm very pleased with this change. Speakerphone or bust. It's not that difficult.

I agree with that, they are trying to milk money just like with the traffic lights.

BEHEMOR IS COME
    TAKE ALL HIGH QUALITY

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dont Kare
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Uther

Quote Originally Posted by Fistandantilus View Post
    Oh my god I fucking hate these, they are absolute bullshit. They have them almost everywhere around where I live now, everytime I go through a major stop light I see a flash or two, EVERY TIME. They are way too overzealous also, I see cars going in yellow and they will go off if the car is in the intersection when it switches to red. I've never been hit by one but I feel bad for any people who do.
    If you get hit by one, contest it and say you weren't the one driving the car. I don't know about where you live but in Bremerton they don't really take a pic of the driver. If it wasn't you driving the car they can't give you the ticket for it. It's worked for my grandpa twice haha.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

You know this is the same law that was passed in CA last year right?
    This law is for your own safety so you won't talk/text while driving. Go buy yourself a bluetooth headset and stop bitching about it.

BEHEMOR IS COME
    TAKE ALL HIGH QUALITY

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dont Kare
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Uther

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko View Post
    You know this is the same law that was passed in CA last year right?
    This law is for your own safety so you won't talk/text while driving. Go buy yourself a bluetooth headset and stop bitching about it.
    Yet again you guys don't seem to be reading it all. It's hard to believe it's really about our safety when there isn't ANY form of punishment at all, other than a small ticket. Anything else deemed a safety risk will be put on your driving record and your insurance will go up. Neither of those will happen if this law gets passed. I'm not complaining that I have to get a bluetooth or anything. I'm complaining that the way this is being handled is stupid.

Seat belt tickets.

BEHEMOR IS COME
    TAKE ALL HIGH QUALITY

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dont Kare
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Uther

Quote Originally Posted by chazzyphizzle View Post
    Seat belt tickets.
    I know, it's the same thing but seatbelts has been something pounded into our heads forever so that's become something I don't even think about. This law hasn't been passed yet so it's something new.

BEHEMOR IS COME
    TAKE ALL HIGH QUALITY

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dont Kare
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Uther

Quote Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
    i hate stupid fucks like you... i hope some dumbass on their cellphone headons and kills you
    Not to quote the retard down there but, that's the stupidest thing you could have said. I'M NOT CONTESTING THE LAW I THINK IT SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTED BETTER. Holy shit.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Fistandantilus View Post
    I agree with that, they are trying to milk money just like with the traffic lights.
    yes, yes they are. there are people trying to change this.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...3_danny25.html

In 2005, the Washington State legislature legalized the cameras with a few caveats. State Senator Mary Margaret Haugen was the prime sponsor of the law. That legislation says that a camera generated ticket (red-light and speeding cameras) shall not cost more than what cities typically charge for a parking ticket. "I know that some people would perceive that a local government would use this as a cash cow," she said. "That is not our intention at all ... What this amendment does is it restricts them, so that they cannot have a fine higher than their parking violations. Which is about - the state recommends $20. The idea is to change behavior, not collect a lot of money." In the city of Seattle, the typical parking ticket is $38.

Once the law was enacted, communities quickly found a loophole. Even though the typical parking ticket is around $20, there are a few egregious infractions that are much more costly. Parking in a handicapped spot without proper credentials is $250 in many places. The bill does not specifically mention "typical", "median" or "average". It simply states that it will be treated as a parking violation, and subject to those applicable rules (e.g. the vehicle cannot renew its registration with unpaid fines). Those cities that are opting to use cameras operate under the letter of the law, not the spirit of the law, and contend that they can charge up to $250 per infraction. In most places, however, the fine for running a light with an RLC is the same as if you were caught in-person by a police officer: typically $124.

there was also a interview done a while back on KISW 99.9. I forgot who but an advocate to change these laws. even tho the state gets $ for each violation, alot of these cameras are not state-owned or operated. Instead a outside private company does and of course is making bank from all these violations since they get a % of the fines.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Theraven View Post
    Then you (and people like you) should have the self control to not talk on your cell phone while driving... Not all of us suffer the same problem.
    Yes because its just me and not the other 5000 people that attempt to pull out in front of me while talking on their cell phone and driving. Fuck off.

I use bluetooth now it helps but I still see it as a distraction. You should be focusing on the road not on a conversation. If this is outlawed so should eating in the car since that also takes one hand to do and requires you to focus on where the fuck your fries are etc etc etc.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Darus Grey View Post
    Yeah, drinking makes me a better driver too.
    Are you really that stupid or just trolling? Drinking obviously doesn't make you a better driver and you obviously shouldn't be driving while intoxicated. If you're trying to imply that talking on your cellphone equates to being intoxicated then YOU obviously shouldn't be talking on your cell phone while driving. If you are capable of talking on your cell phone and not be impaired then I don't think they should punish you just because there are a bunch of stupid people who don't have the self control to not talk when they're driving if they can't do it without being distracted. Next thing you'll be advocating a law that makes listening to and singing along with the radio/mp3 player in your car a primary offense because hey, some people get distracted while doing that too right?

edit to post above:

Quote Originally Posted by Ikith View Post
    Yes because its just me and not the other 5000 people that attempt to pull out in front of me while talking on their cell phone and driving. Fuck off.
    Notice I said and people like you? If those other 5000 idiots are driving dangerously they should be pulled over for driving dangerously, regardless of the cause. If you get distracted and pull out in front of people when talking on your cellphone then you shouldn't talk on your cell phone and drive, whether there's a law against it or not. Have some common sense please.

BEHEMOR IS COME
    TAKE ALL HIGH QUALITY

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dont Kare
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Uther

Next thing you'll be advocating a law that makes listening to and singing along with the radio/mp3 player in your car a primary offense because hey, some people get distracted while doing that too right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikith View Post
    If this is outlawed so should eating in the car since that also takes one hand to do and requires you to focus on where the fuck your fries are etc etc etc.
    These are good points that I didn't even think of. Pretty much ANYTHING you do in your car should be made illegal. As I said before, I'm not one to support laws to restrict basic freedoms but it doesn't make sense to only really enforce a couple things when there are so many other things to distract people. On my way to work today I saw a guy with his laptop open in his car. I don't get it.

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

If you are capable of talking on your cell phone and not be impaired then I don't think they should punish you just because there are a bunch of stupid people who don't have the self control to not talk when they're driving if they can't do it without being distracted.
    Hi, im capable of talking on my cell phone without being distracted in the least.

Now pretend your a cop who is told this 5000 times. Obviously not all of those 5000 people are perfect drivers while on the phone, but i am damn sure that 90% of them think they are.

Just because YOU think you aren't impaired doesn't actually mean you aren't. I have friends who think they are better drivers when stoned out of their minds because they drive slow as shit and are extra paranoid about cops, however when im in the car with them i notice that they are almost on the god damn sidewalk.

Just because you think you can do it doesn't mean you can, and it's better to go with what is safer for the vast majority of the people as opposed to how one fucking person feels about being unable to get his free reading from a jamaican hotline while driving to work.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

next up : girls driving, a bannable offense.

BEHEMOR IS COME
    TAKE ALL HIGH QUALITY

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dont Kare
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Uther

If you think about it, the majority of people drive with only one hand on the wheel regardless of whether they are on the phone or not. So if you are one of those people you shouldn't be able to drive with a passenger in the car.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    Just because you think you can do it doesn't mean you can, and it's better to go with what is safer for the vast majority of the people as opposed to how one fucking person feels about being unable to get his free reading from a jamaican hotline while driving to work.
    I understand why the law is the way it is, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it. Well, I accept that they do it for a reason, but I think it's sad that I have to suffer because there are a bunch of idiots out there. That applies to a lot more than driving though.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Dontkare View Post
    Yet again you guys don't seem to be reading it all. It's hard to believe it's really about our safety when there isn't ANY form of punishment at all, other than a small ticket.
    Are you suggesting fines aren't a deterrent?
    Are you also suggesting that states that hand out infractions for breaking speeding laws, red light laws and seatbelt laws (sup, all of them) don't depend on the income that comes in from driving infractions to support your state's social/economic/community programs? Protip: They do.

Yes, your state is probably milking its citizens when they hand you these infractions. Shut the fuck up and don't fucking do it.

Also, what's to stop insurance companies from hiking up costs on people who get caught talking/texting on their phone while driving, exactly?

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I understand why the law is the way it is, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it. Well, I accept that they do it for a reason, but I think it's a sad day when I have to suffer because there are a bunch of idiots out there. That applies to a lot more than driving though.
    I hate wearing my seatbelt and i usually don't, i acknowledge that its stupid and illegal but i don't care. The difference between this and the phone however though is that not wearing a seatbelt harms only me physically, where as being distracted by a phone for most people can lead to the death of the innocent with no harm whatsoever to the actual idiot. As long as you accept that it is done for a reason that's fine but being opposed to it just because you feel it inconveniences your comfort and godlike skills behind the wheel is ludicrous.