+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ATB guage refil     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

ATB guage refil

Does the ATB gauge refill when you switch paradigms or is it just refilling during the animation? I seem to reach stagger exponentially faster when I swap between 2 offensive paradigms every time my ATB gauge is empty.... but it means I swap every attack "round" its a little intense. Curious if this is actually happening or a placebo effect taking place

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I'm also curious. I've pointed this out in a few threads but, as I said elsewhere, I haven't experimented with it yet. It's not just your imagination, but the only way I've pulled it off consistently is with allies. It goes like this: Right after a teammate finishes their set of actions, switch paradigms. They'll act immediately afterwards, even though you should have to wait for their next turn.

I haven't noticed it happening to your own ATB bar, but like I said, I haven't messed around with it much.

New Merits
    BG Level

It automatically fills every other time, not every time or only after a full ATB charge has been completed at least form what i have noticed.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Uubu View Post
    It automatically fills every other time, not every time or only after a full ATB charge has been completed at least form what i have noticed.
    This is my experience as well.

♥ Neliel ♥
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Suzunomia Hymnos
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

It's called ATB cancel. When you switch Paradigms after using the last attack from the previous Paradigm, your ATB gauge will automatically be full without having to wait for it to recharge.

Ex: Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire after the last fire lands, switch to another Paradigm and the gauge will be instantly filled. But after you do it once, you'll have to manually wait for gauge to fill before can do again

Ex: Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Switch(Instantly filled without waiting), Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Wait for gauge to fill this time > Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Switch(Instantly filled without waiting) > Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Wait for gauge to fill this time.

And that's pretty much it for ATB cancelling, it's very useful when don't have access to Haste and even then it still has it's uses.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It's all about paradigm switching at opportune moments. Like: when everyone has just started the animation of their very last attack of a full queue of attacks, when all your characters are launched from getting hit, or just finishing some mid-air pummeling. Makes the sometimes annoying Paradigm Shift animation not waste even a second of your precious time.

At least your ATB gauge keeps going during it regardless.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    It's called ATB cancel. When you switch Paradigms after using the last attack from the previous Paradigm, your ATB gauge will automatically be full without having to wait for it to recharge.
    Was wondering what it was, just about to make a new thread.

I've been noticing that if you go to the Paradigm menu with a full ATB and switch, you maintain the full bar regardless of how long you wait at the menu. So if you queue up 4 attacks, execute, then immediately go to the Paradigm menu and watch the attacks/damage before switching... you STILL switch with a full bar. I've been switching back and forth between similar Paradigms just to eliminate the ~5 second wait for the ATB to build.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well that explains why I almost always end up with full ATB when I switch to heal.

Great going from four attacks to back-2-back Cures when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    Ex: Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Switch(Instantly filled without waiting), Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Wait for gauge to fill this time > Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Switch(Instantly filled without waiting) > Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Fire > Wait for gauge to fill this time.
    I tend to switch even after the 'wait' step. I like to believe that your allies' ATB Cancel takes effect on different rounds. Especially since a lot of times they get off their rounds quicker than you cause they don't have to select their actions.

But yeah, because of this trick, I make 2 COMx1 RAVx2 and 2 RAVx3 Paradigms when dealing with normal mobs(and some bosses) and it allows for some really fast Chaining and easy 5-star'ing.