1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 9 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 51 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 11 hours, 9 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 22 hours, 51 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Alpha System Requirements - Let the Upgrades Begin?

CPU :

Intel Core 2 Duo (2.4 GHz)
    AMD Athlon X2 (2.4 GHz)

RAM :

Windows XP: 1.5GB
    Windows Vista / Windows 7: 2GB

Hard Disk Space :

Installing: 10 GB
    Downloading: 10GB on the drive containing the My Documents folder

Graphics :

NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 or higher VRAM 512 MB
    Radeon™ HD 2900 or higher VRAM 512 MB

Sound :

DirectSound® compatible (DirectX® 9.0)

Images from SE Alpha Forum

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/9931/67710937.png
    http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8593/25798083.png

Does not sound too bad. My 3 year old laptop has almost those exact specs, though not sure about the video card since I am not sure how my 512 MB laptop card stands up against the desktop ones listed. In any case I will be buying a new desktop for this game since it is not as fun for me playing on a laptop.

I am curious if anyone will begin upgrading based off these specs of if we should wait for something official that is released to everyone. So what are your plans?

*Edit - Added picture from FFXIV Forums (Thanks Cautery)

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

my current system meets then requirement and then some. might wanna upgrade GPU though when nvidia gonna unveil gtx 470/480 later this month

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I hope by the thread title you are insinuating those specs are high, even if this was retail and that was min spec only the gpu would seem slightly high but hell you could probably build a system like that for $300 these days.

If these specs don't go down by much i can see a lot of QQing happening as we get closer to release but people should remember that as much as people like to think so not everyone is running on 4 year old hardware. Also even if you do have old hardware and can't afford to upgrade do you really think SE should hold back on ffxivs full potential because of your monetary issues? No.

Apocalypse
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata
    WoW Realm
    Shadowmoon

Actually I'm a little upset the specs arent a little bit higher, Lets just hope that means that SE has this game verywell optimized.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Anyone know how a nvidia GT240 compares to those specs? I have a low profile PC so it's hard finding video cards... -.- Got this one, recently released and it has 1gb VRAM.

Internet Haet Machine
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Daveys View Post

Hard Disk Space :

Installing: 10 GB
    Downloading: 10GB on the drive containing the My Documents folder

Can someone explain me the red sentence? Does that means that it redirects every patch you download (games update) to a folder in MyDocuments even if I install the game somewhere else?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post
    Actually I'm a little upset the specs arent a little bit higher, Lets just hope that means that SE has this game verywell optimized.
    Yah man i totally argree.

I plan on building a PC in a few months, and honestly those requirements are complete shit compared to the machine ill build. I think anyone who plans on complaining about those specs might as well build a new machine...no new games will run on anything less than that.

the graphics card seems to be the only medium level requirement, and thats a good sign...we want this game too look as badass and possible...if that means everyone needs to upgrade their pcs then so be it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Cautery View Post
    Can someone explain me the red sentence? Does that means that it redirects every patch you download (games update) to a folder in MyDocuments even if I install the game somewhere else?
    I would say that's where it throws the temp/install files maybe... Dunno why though...

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

It means that it stores some information in that folder and that by default it will search that folder for information. We may or may not have to edit some registry entries. Or maybe I'm just reading into it too much and its unnecessary info that adds confusion.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Maybe they ment that as minimum requirement to run the game

Core2duo? is like 2004-2005 "topend PC" ;/

A. Body
    BG Level

It could also strictly be for the alpha/beta, and the retail game'll let you dump it wherever. At any rate, it seems like a minor detail to worry about editing reg files for.

"Required" is ALWAYS low. And then you usually double the "Recommended" to play the game at a decent level on the PC. Considering stuff like vista and 7 take anywhere from 1-2GB's just being on you better have something closer to 6GB of memory.

Certified Enhancement Shaman
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meph Taru
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos

pff...dualcore is for suckers

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

i'm good on everything except that CPU

running 2.26 ghz dual core, 4 GB ram, nvidia 9800 w/ 512MB of VRAM.

hoping i'm still ok having double the required ram but just a little shy on cpu speed.

Kirb

Much lower than expected for required. At least this means I'll be able to crank all the settings up to max and beyond for the final release.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by vrumpt View Post
    i'm good on everything except that CPU

running 2.26 ghz dual core, 4 GB ram, nvidia 9800 w/ 512MB of VRAM.

hoping i'm still ok having double the required ram but just a little shy on cpu speed.
    Overclock it.

A. Body
    BG Level

Just realized my CPU is also .2 Gigs short. Everything else is greater than these specs though.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    Overclock it.
    good idea, i'll prolly wait to see what the game runs like naturally before i do that, not gonna change what my app anyway says if i do it before i even get an invite.

besides they might change for the beta when it starts.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

This just means you need to have that much free space on the root drive of your OS installation. A lot of applications use the root drive as temporary/swap space for handling installations, regardless of the target drive the application is to be installed on.
    eg. Let's say you have 2 drives (let's call them C:\ and D:\). your OS is installed on C:, but you install all your games on D:, you need to have enough free space on C: to allow the extraction to complete, then the game will install onto D:. After this, the temporary files are removed from C:. It's nothing to worry about unless you are really strapped for space.

Some of you may have seen this in action, when you try to unrar a large archive and you're low on root drive space, you start getting Low Disk Space warnings popping in and out. That's what's happening. Since they use the header "downloading" perhaps they are using some multi-connection Downloader or P2P app to help distribute the alpha/beta, and they're restricting the path it downloads to...

Anyways, just finished building a new machine that smashes the crap outta these reqs.
    Can't wait. Frothing anticipation. etc. etc.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

i wonder how this baby will run on a ps3 i have a brand new ps3 250GB slim so i know i'm golden but what about the 40's and 80's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast