+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PS3 Audio question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

House Azazael
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

PS3 Audio question

I was messing around with my settings on my PS3 last night and I noticed I had the audio set to auto select. By doing auto select it just set Linear PCM 2ch.

I have a 7.2 ch receiver, so obviously I am missing out on a few speakers worth of audio. My question is if Linear PCM is better than something like DTS and if that is what I should be setting my choice to.

For reference sake my receiver is the Onkyo HT-RC160, and I am using HDMI to connect my PS3 to it.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Just do a manual select for Linear PCM, unless your receiver can't decode that format. Otherwise the Bitstream selection will allow you to get your DTS / Dolby Digital sound that you want, just in a lesser quality.

Linear PCM is a lossless audio format that is employed by many Blu-ray movies, Bitstream is a little lower quality, but still gets the job done.

Both Bitstream and Linear PCM should give you DTS / Dolby Digital sound.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

The PS3 does two modes for audio, the Linear PCM and Bitstreaming. Those are methods of outputting the audio, not formats like DTS.

Linear PCM does internal decoding of audio. It's actually necessary on the fat PS3s if you want to get HD audio from Blu-Ray discs. The PS3 will take, say, the DTS-HD stream, decode it, and output it as PCM audio to your receiver. The little DTS-HD light won't come on (you'll probably see something like Multi-Channel In), but you'll get the right audio.

Bitstreaming passes the audio stream as-is to your receiver for decoding. If you have a Slim, then this is the way to go. The end result is the same, but the little DTS-HD symbol on the receiver will light up and so on.

With my HDMI receiver, auto-detect actually came back with all the right modes. Did you rerun the detection or anything, or was the PS3 initially not set up through your receiver? At any rate, you can go back in and add the additional modes manually.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Also, Linear PCM only works if you have an HDMI audio connection, it only outputs 2 channel with optical.

House Azazael
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

okay so I should keep Linear PCM, just need to change the number of channels it auto selected. Thanks all.