BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    I always thought that the worst part of FFXI was the fact that most of the best things a player can get were created too early in the game. Now the development team is stuck spending years properly and in most cases, improperly, trying to balance new content with old. This situation is only more evidence of the theory.
    This has always been the problem. Gear-wise and weapon wise until just recently. Now what you see is SE reaching elbow-deep up their ass to try to pull something out that is between overpowered and better than RoTZ weapons / content.

And it's damn near impossible.

Anyone who disagrees with the posts made by Kadaj, Kirschy, Ayn, Tekki, and myself is honestly too fucking dumb to argue with. I've bounced some rebuttals around in my head, and they sound glorious obviously, but it just isn't worth the time. You don't get it, you won't get it, and you're of the opinion that your self-masturbatory opinion of your own shortcomings in FFXI is worthy of being projected, with disdain, onto others who have succeeded where you have failed time and time again.

That knowledge is enough for me to chuckle through my extraordinary rage at this disproportionate show of jackassery.

So, again, to summarize:

No relic?
    http://www.steamingblog.com/wp-conte...11/30iulae.gif

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Heh, I love that gif, been in my head the past few pages XD

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I have no sympathy at all for the classic relic owners who are already complaining (that's apoc, spharai, mandau, etc.). To get a relic you have to be good at grinding out gil. To upgrade your relic you have to be good at killshotting tiny mobs with your relic WS. How hard is that? You can do each stage solo in about a standard workweek - yet people have alts and lsmates to speed it along
    No one's arguing it's hard. In fact, if you've read a number of the posts carefully, most relic owners posting here wouldn't have an issue of 'challenge' or 'difficulty'. We're arguing that it's needlessly tedious, especially given newer options come to light. Furthermore, while you note a "standard work week". If you've read posts by Kirschy and other relic holders in this thread, we have other obligations in game: Often to the people who helped us in some part obtain the relic in the first place. It's kind of a dick move to, once again, say "Sorry guys, ignoring most LS events to grind out my Apoc/Mandau/Spharai trials".

As people like Tekki and Kirschy noted, there's already a limited amount of time to play XI. In Kirschy's case, it was noted that much of that time would be better spent giving back to the people who stood with us throughout the process of getting a relic in the first place. The same goes for me. At the same time, it's pretty foolish to NOT do it, since it's also not pushing the weapon you (and other who helped) worked so hard for to the limits.

The last point I wanted to touch on is relic owners who complain they now work 50+ hours a week. Not only is the number of waking hours in a week well over 100, but (1) SE didn't touch your existing relic weapon and (2) you can't expect to keep your place at the top of the DPS charts without any effort, while others are working their butts off.
    On two, once again, you are completely missing the point. None of us are saying "SE should just hand us a free upgrade" (in fact, the one person who mentioned that wasn't a relic holder). No one here has an issue with working to upgrade their relic further (and in fact are GLAD for the opportunity to do so). If you're going to make the argument that there are over 100 waking hours of the week, do you work a 50 hour a week job? Come home from said job, if there's the opportunity to come in game and 1 - Grind out mind numbing trials or 2 - Go help out some people with events/new contents/whatever, 2 is going to sound pretty damn appealing.

There are final-upgrade magian weapons that, as far as I know, all fall short of final-upgrade relics, while being competitive with or surpassing plain relics. These max-DPS magian weapons are less desirable than the relics because the former can't be upgraded further. But people are saying the former are MUCH easier to get
    Because they -are- easier to get. To get to the point where you can even start to upgrade a relic, you have to start and finish the relic in the first place. To get to the point where you can start to upgrade a Magian weapon you have to. . what? Zone into Ru'Lude, walk through the palace, walk up to a moogle and say "I'd like to start a Masamune trial!" and be asked "Would you like a side of Redemption with that, Kupo!?"

You say you have no sympathy for a set of relic owners. That's great, you're entitled to viewpoint. However, you also sorely lack perspective, and judging by the content of your posts, basic reading comprehension skills.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Im a relic user, have been since 2006, dominated from 2006 all the way now in 2010
    Oh no, SE actually putting equal weapons that can rival relic weapons or better?
    wait a minute, oh shit, at least SE cared and gave us an opportunity to still make our relic weapons still superior with alot time and effort put to do so

to be honest, when i heard SE was planning on raising the lvl cap to 99, first thing that came to mind was that relic/mythic and w/e current gear that resides in our game will finally be crap and everyone would have to begin anew on gaining new gear to be the "best"

now, Im not gonna disagree that the time and effort is just plain not worth it in most cases but you know what, Im still going to do, maybe complete the trial in 2+ months but gonna do it
    like many ppl, I work 40-70 hrs a week, spend maybe an hr or two a day if lucky
    after reading this thread i find it funny who how many ppl are bitching
    those same people Im thinking are those ungeared individuals I see with relic, like I saw a mnk with spharai wearing AF1 gear for goodness sake in an exp pt and like drk with apoc wearing NQ gear like haub and +4 str rings
    want everything handed down on a silver platter

wait til lv 85-90 when some even more superior gear sets will make a huge stat difference compared to salv sets and the people be crying and whining how their 2008 salv set is not good anymore in the year 2011, can already foresee it

Nut Steamer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Kadaj View Post
    (In fact I've yet to see Clausturm.. or maybe I have)
    Well just to refresh your memory, HERE is some of that delicious pie you are talking about!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by bzs View Post
    Im a relic user, have been since 2006, dominated from 2006 all the way now in 2010
    Oh no, SE actually putting equal weapons that can rival relic weapons or better?
    wait a minute, oh shit, at least SE cared and gave us an opportunity to still make our relic weapons still superior with alot time and effort put to do so

to be honest, when i heard SE was planning on raising the lvl cap to 99, first thing that came to mind was that relic/mythic and w/e current gear that resides in our game will finally be crap and everyone would have to begin anew on gaining new gear to be the "best"

now, Im not gonna disagree that the time and effort is just plain not worth it in most cases but you know what, Im still going to do, maybe complete the trial in 2+ months but gonna do it
    like many ppl, I work 40-70 hrs a week, spend maybe an hr or two a day if lucky
    after reading this thread i find it funny who how many ppl are bitching
    those same people Im thinking are those ungeared individuals I see with relic, like I saw a mnk with spharai wearing AF1 gear for goodness sake in an exp pt and like drk with apoc wearing NQ gear like haub and +4 str rings
    want everything handed down on a silver platter

wait til lv 85-90 when some even more superior gear sets will make a huge stat difference compared to salv sets and the people be crying and whining how their 2008 salv set is not good anymore in the year 2011, can already foresee it
    Dumb.

Fuck.

Dumbfuck.

Fuckdumb.

Any way you put it, it's still you.

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Blasta View Post
    Well just to refresh your memory, HERE is some of that delicious pie you are talking about!
    Oh, well, look at that lol.

I meant actually in Campaign, an NPC with it, I haven't seen with my own eyes yet. But indeed I haven't actually seen a PC with it either, come to think of it.

Pie is delicious.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

i feel they should've scaled up automatically until lv. 90. and been more dominant, then the investment should've been made potentially obselete(or wtf quests as now to upgrade)

relics should've been tied in with more standard magian trials.

if going OA2x->OA3x:

costs 10 pixie eyes, one of yilbs toe nails
    and doing 100 kills in day/weather
    & 10 w/e abyssea drop

and this makes them competetive 75->80 then same should be for relics.

i realise all the above has been said before, s r y.

i feel for you relic ppl atm i'm doing shield (i'm aware of it's lesser use) and i'm glad i don't have any catch up to play.

Nut Steamer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Well obviously it's more important to add content for the larger group, to make them play more. Creating more story and cutscenes behind each relic would have been awesome, since it is long and tedious journey for the most people.

I guess SE just saves that extra dollar and on top of that, they get to read this awesome drama live from BG :q.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrish View Post
    I have no sympathy at all for the classic relic owners who are already complaining (that's apoc, spharai, mandau, etc.).
    That line is all it took for me to know your A. Troll B. Dumbshit. Didn't bother to read the rest but i will take a guess that it was someone that is hating because people have stuff they will never have.

Quote Originally Posted by bzs View Post
    I've never seen someone try and troll so hard before, stop forcing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    i feel they should've scaled up automatically until lv. 90. and been more dominant, then the investment should've been made potentially obselete(or wtf quests as now to upgrade)

relics should've been tied in with more standard magian trials.

if going OA2x->OA3x:

costs 10 pixie eyes, one of yilbs toe nails
    and doing 100 kills in day/weather
    & 10 w/e abyssea drop

and this makes them competetive 75->80 then same should be for relics.

i realise all the above has been said before, s r y.

i feel for you relic ppl atm i'm doing shield (i'm aware of it's lesser use) and i'm glad i don't have any catch up to play.
    you shouldnt say that last part outloud. when se gets around to shield and G horn you're going to eat those words.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmarelord View Post
    you shouldnt say that last part outloud. when se gets around to shield and G horn you're going to eat those words.
    like shield bash kill shot 2000 dragon mobs

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post

Maybe another relic hold coming in will only echo the point? I spent 14months on lolexcbeforeshield and 6 months on shield. I work full time now, nearly 50 hrs a week. I might be able to invest 3-10hrs a week in this game. I won't ask how I would go about doing this quest, its damn near out of the question... Instead I"ll ask; Is it better for me to simply quest out a mag weapon and figuritively throw away my Excalibur?
    That's only 20 months, and you probably had support from an LS. I spent 4 years gardening wildgrass on 3 accounts and fishing+cooking to get Mandau with no help at all from my LS (the whole time they kept nagging me to get horn and level BRD, they refused to help with "loldagger"). So after that killing 6500 mobs seems like nothing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Only comparing effort v. reward of upgrading via magian as relic vs. upgrading an entirely comparable weapon and having 150m gil on hand with a weapon of extremely comparable versatility.
    Except I can dual wield both of them. To me it's more like getting a really awesome replacement for Blau.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Ya know... most conversations are like a lovely game of ping pong where each player bats the plastic ball back and forth. As one player makes the point to another they each blissfully pat the toy to the other, enjoying the conversation/game at hand. I feel like the only thing happening in this thread is one side is trying to serve and as the ball comes across the table, player 2 is simpling swiping it out of the air with their hand, rubbing the ball in their crotch and shoving it in their mouth as the other player face palms in frustration.

Well I'm going to let everyone know this. Epecially those trying take a giant shit on the ping pong table, if you keep it up, I'm simply going to deem it at trolling and treat your posts as such.

To everyone who gets it, especially the relic holders, lets keep this on topic. The topic is about the augmentations itself, the progress made, and the rewards at hand.

Talking about the effort/reward compared to what SE owes us and what SE is putting out for everyone else, is going no where else.

Leave it to the trolls to rub the ball on their crotch first then put it in their mouths.

Edit: All i can say is if you do, like myself, think this is just bullshit send in a complaint and pray that enough people do it that SE will do something about it.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Well, back on topic:

Where have people been going for Apoc trial #2? I have a feeling Kuftal, VoS, and Terrigan are going to be way too packed, so Uleguerand's my only real solid bet.

From what i've seen, even with kuftal being overpack, the amount of mobs that uleguerand doesn't give much more, even less.

Edit: Because of the downtime looking for mobs.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Been doing trial number 3 for Excalibur in Kuftal however it is not going fast because Kuftal is always being overrun with RDM, THF, DNC, or BST doing whatever quest they are on clearing out all the lizards. Its like SE made all these regular weapons take lizards so mobs of people come running through killing everything.

So SE has successfully made an annoying quest even more annoying.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Ayn View Post
    Well, back on topic:

Where have people been going for Apoc trial #2? I have a feeling Kuftal, VoS, and Terrigan are going to be way too packed, so Uleguerand's my only real solid bet.
    Beasts? I helped someone do it in Uleguerand Range, seemed like the best option to us at the time. We did this in a group of 3 though, SAM WHM BRD. BRD pulling stuff to camp as we slaughtered stuff made this flow well.

Related question: Where are people going for 1500 killshots on Arcana? You'd think Ro'Maeve would be great for this, and it normally would... However, the place is always so damn packed when I check.