+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Nesingwary

I just got back from a free early showing of SPvTW. The movie was fucking awesome.

The good:
    The movie was funny as hell. There were so many one-liners and funny bits, it was entertaining for the full 2 hours. Also, Kieran Culkin steals pretty much every scene he's in without being over the top at any point. Really, all of the characters were interesting, the movie was paced very well, and the ending was extremely satisfying.

The bad:
    There's a few (minor) gripes I had with the film.

First off - Michael Cera. He wasn't bad by any means, but I still feel someone else could have played the character better. You know the scenes from the trailer where he tries talking to Ramona at the party, and asks her out when she delivers the package? You know how awkward he is? He's like that throughout most of the movie. Those are the worst cases of it, but his acting range still hasn't improved much since Arrested Development. Honestly, Culkin probably could have played the character a bit better.

The whole deal with Ramona using subspace to travel was mentioned/shown in the movie, but it wasn't explained at all. I understood it because I'd read the plot of the books, but if you are totally unfamiliar with it, you won't know wtf she's talking about in the few bits it's mentioned/shown in the movie, and she was only in his dream for like 5 seconds.

Lastly, they cut a pretty large amount of stuff out from the books (mostly in the interest of time, I'd assume). That being said, if they tried to jam even more characters/events into the film it probably would have been really scattershot, but since I didn't read the books beforehand, I didn't feel anything was missing.

TL,DR - highly recommended, I may even see it again when it comes out.

Anyone find a stream of this yet?

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Davricle View Post
    Anyone find a stream of this yet?
    Doesn't officially come out for two weeks.

Yea, but there have been some screenings, thought I might get lucky.

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Nesingwary

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo View Post
    Doesn't officially come out for two weeks.
    Red Hood was on isohunt a full week or two before it came out. Other movies even more.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

assuming Red Hood is the awesome Batman movie, that wasn't a theatrical release, those rarely leak except around awards times when a bunch of screener dvds get sent out

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Dainslaif View Post

First off - Michael Cera. He wasn't bad by any means, but I still feel someone else could have played the character better. You know the scenes from the trailer where he tries talking to Ramona at the party, and asks her out when she delivers the package? You know how awkward he is? He's like that throughout most of the movie. Those are the worst cases of it, but his acting range still hasn't improved much since Arrested Development. Honestly, Culkin probably could have played the character a bit better.

The whole deal with Ramona using subspace to travel was mentioned/shown in the movie, but it wasn't explained at all. I understood it because I'd read the plot of the books, but if you are totally unfamiliar with it, you won't know wtf she's talking about in the few bits it's mentioned/shown in the movie, and she was only in his dream for like 5 seconds.
    I think Michael Cera is like that in all movies he is in, thats just the "type of person" he plays" (at least for stuff I have seen him in. He has his moments where he breaks out of the mold, but he plays the awkward dude.

I never read the books, anybody care to explain the sub-space thing ?

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    I think Michael Cera is like that in all movies he is in, thats just the "type of person" he plays" (at least for stuff I have seen him in. He has his moments where he breaks out of the mold, but he plays the awkward dude.

I never read the books, anybody care to explain the sub-space thing ?
    Watch Youth In Revolt, he is nothing like that, well, at least half the time.

Spoiler: show
    Subspace is a plane of existence that is around our world, that connects at certain points in our world. Using subspace, you are able to travel great distances quickly. There are doors in our world that connect to subspace, but it also runs through peoples heads, which is where Scott first runs into Ramona, as she is traipsing through subspace and runs through his dream.

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Nesingwary

Quote Originally Posted by Komm Suesser Tod View Post
    Subspace is a plane of existence that is around our world, that connects at certain points in our world. Using subspace, you are able to travel great distances quickly. There are doors in our world that connect to subspace, but it also runs through peoples heads, which is where Scott first runs into Ramona, as she is traipsing through subspace and runs through his dream.
    Exactly. I think the books use it a hell of a lot more, but this covers all you need to know about it for the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    assuming Red Hood is the awesome Batman movie, that wasn't a theatrical release, those rarely leak except around awards times when a bunch of screener dvds get sent out
    Yeah, the new one - Under the Red Hood. You could be right, the last time I saw a movie way in advance the filename called it a screener DVD.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Yeah the soonest Ive seen a DVD quality release earlish hasnt been since Sherlock Holmes, two weeks after release.

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I believe they also elude to the fact that subspace was invented by Gideon to get in people's heads. Mainly Ramona and eventually Scott.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalhart View Post
    I believe they also elude to the fact that subspace was invented by Gideon to get in people's heads. Mainly Ramona and eventually Scott.
    just that gideon controls Ramona, but they show a chip on the back of her neck to signify it

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Fucking love paul robertson.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Fucking love paul robertson.
    stick around for the ending credits of the film

yay press screenings. Primary gripe:

They cut most of Envy's presence from the film. She's little more than a sidekick to Vegan Boy and is pretty much never seen again. This + very little Kim Pine (Lisa is cut from the film entirely) = Scott's transition from guy running away to guy accepting his past is pretty much glossed over. Most of the character development evaporates when you condense 6 books to two hours of film but I was hoping at least that arc would remain intact.

The fights were pretty much perfect. Yeah, no Mr. Chau or remote control robots and yeah Knives vs. Ramona doesn't happen till the very very end but for the spectacle of effects and speed that they did construct I'm pleased what they did get on film. The casting, even Cera, was spot-on.

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Animated Special thursday night.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

wow those are pretty awesome
    http://www.empireonline.com/images/i...w800/43517.jpg