+ Reply to Thread

Thread: i5-750 Overclocking     submit to reddit submit to twitter

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

i5-750 Overclocking

I'm messing around with overclocking, haven't done much in many years.

I currently have this, which seems very stable (turbo is on)

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1106937

But I'm really not sure what the best performance versus power settings are.

1) I'm wondering if it's better to raise the base clock to 200 and lower the multiplier... or leave the clock at like 160 (like it is) and raise the multi to achieve 3.2 to 4.0 range

2) Is it better to have your ram operating at advertised speed (1600) or have it set to auto and underclocking itself? I would assume it's a waste to have it underclocked, but maybe it shortens the lifespan significantly?

3) Is there some way to get your i5 to idle around 1.8 and jump up to 4.2 efficiently? I imagine that you can, and I don't need all that power consumption while I'm sleeping, however I don't wish to leave it stock 2.6 either...

If you've overclocked this chip, mainly on a P55 chipset mobo, what settings are working for you?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

It's probably not a good idea to be asking about overclocking your CPU on a FFXI website, lol. Go to a different forums like Overclockers.net or something for that. For your ram, it's best to manually set it to factory specifications at all times.

Leave the Multiplier where it is and work w/ you base clock. I don't have any experience OC'ing on the i5 but am currently running 4.2ghz on my i7 920.

As for your RAM, it's fine for it to be underclocked.. Make sure you have the DIMM voltage set to manafacturer spec's

What motherboard are you using? I personally am a fan of eVGA and enjoy utilizing there forums for help on overclocking. It's where I learned and got my OC up at.

As for idle @ 1.8 and jump up etc, I don't think so... You could get two different clocks and choose which you want (on some boards you can) but as for it doing it automatically I rly don't think so but I could be wrong...

What kind of GPU are oyu running? 3.3 - 3.4 GHz may be suffice for you.. I only am running 4.2ghz b/c it became an obsession to see if I could do it. I see no benefits over 3.6 or 3.8'ish honestly

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by CoronA1979 View Post
    Leave the Multiplier where it is and work w/ you base clock. I don't have any experience OC'ing on the i5 but am currently running 4.2ghz on my i7 920.

As for your RAM, it's fine for it to be underclocked.. Make sure you have the DIMM voltage set to manafacturer spec's

What motherboard are you using? I personally am a fan of eVGA and enjoy utilizing there forums for help on overclocking. It's where I learned and got my OC up at.

As for idle @ 1.8 and jump up etc, I don't think so... You could get two different clocks and choose which you want (on some boards you can) but as for it doing it automatically I rly don't think so but I could be wrong...

What kind of GPU are oyu running? 3.3 - 3.4 GHz may be suffice for you.. I only am running 4.2ghz b/c it became an obsession to see if I could do it. I see no benefits over 3.6 or 3.8'ish honestly
    Thanks! This is the kind of stuff I was looking. I'm also reading overclocking forums and stuff, but I figured I'd see if we had any crazy oc dudes around here.

My motherboard is a P55A-UD4p from gigabyte, it's pretty decent so far for overclocking. GPU is 2x geforce8800 in SLi, although I typically only output from one card (FFXI hates SLi). Probably upgrading eventually, but I'm not sure what card I want so I've been using these to make due.

Yeah, I had it at 4.2 (bit unstable) and I didn't see much improvement, it was basically just to take the screenshot of CPU-z to prove I was doing it :D

My ram is rated at 1600, 8-8-8-24 so I set it to run at that rating, instead of being "auto" in the bios. Auto seemed to want to run it around 1033 or so, and I wasn't sure if I'll see any negative reasons to forcing it to 1600 8 8 8 24. Voltage, I believ is 1.65 for the ram, just like the spec.

You're proposing I should leave my multiplier alone (I think it was defaulting to like 17x? I'll have to look it up) and mess with the base clock? It was at 133 or 160, I'd like to push it to 200 but I'm unsure the ramifications.

Any info is appreciated

Well...

I say to keep your multiplier set but that is just how I would do an i7-920 which has a locked multiplier. I am assuming the i5-750 is locked also.

The i7-975 for example is an unlocked multiplier and makes it REALLY easy to overclock as you can move the multiplier to say, 30 something or what have you..

So, in terms of which way is easier I would think hands down setting a BCLK and adjusting the multiplier would be easier but if the CPU isn't unlocked (which it likely is not) there is only so much you can do w/ the multiplier.

Are you running things such as Linx, Prime95, RealTemp to test/monitor your progress?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Well...

I say to keep your multiplier set but that is just how I would do an i7-920 which has a locked multiplier. I am assuming the i5-750 is locked also.

The i7-975 for example is an unlocked multiplier and makes it REALLY easy to overclock as you can move the multiplier to say, 30 something or what have you..

So, in terms of which way is easier I would think hands down setting a BCLK and adjusting the multiplier would be easier but if the CPU isn't unlocked (which it likely is not) there is only so much you can do w/ the multiplier.

Are you running things such as Linx, Prime95, RealTemp to test/monitor your progress?
    Yeah all three of those. I did some more work, talked to my coworker... ended up:

1) leaving mult at 20x, leaving turbo mode on with the various bios states required to allow it to enter C1 and other states (can't remember the names, the faster states c6/c7 maybe)

2) setting base clock to 160 (from 133)

This allows me to have a rated speed of 3.4-3.6ish, and it'll overclock itself with turbo to about 3.8. When idle it'll go to 1.4 or so, which is nice for power consumption.

So far so good. I may try clock speed of 180 but not sure how far I want to push it

You have third party cooling, yah?

I sure hope you're not doing this on stock heatsink >.>

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

You have third party cooling, yah?

I sure hope you're not doing this on stock heatsink >.>
    heh of course. I have this one, been pretty good so far... can't quite do 4.2ghz, but not that much can

http://www.cogage.com/a_page/cpu_coo...ue_spirit.html

Yeah, I've never really seen those coolers before but there again I haven't been to much watching the CPU market these days >.> Feels like I spent tons of money/time on mine and got it to 4.2GHz with a kickass full load temp on my CPU and do nothing special with it these days. The likes of Prolimatech and Thermalright make some really nice coolers. Here's what I am using.

http://www.xoxide.com/thermalright-i...pu-cooler.html

Yah, It's a beast

Dropping back to XI running a single GTX 275 (when I have two) and a 4.2GHz overclock seems sooooo much overkill for the game (Yes, we both know it is >.>).

Enjoy your rig!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yeah, I've never really seen those coolers before but there again I haven't been to much watching the CPU market these days >.> Feels like I spent tons of money/time on mine and got it to 4.2GHz with a kickass full load temp on my CPU and do nothing special with it these days. The likes of Prolimatech and Thermalright make some really nice coolers. Here's what I am using.

http://www.xoxide.com/thermalright-i...pu-cooler.html

Yah, It's a beast

Dropping back to XI running a single GTX 275 (when I have two) and a 4.2GHz overclock seems sooooo much overkill for the game (Yes, we both know it is >.>).

Enjoy your rig!
    Yeah that's beastly! Thermalright actually owns cogage (my cooler). Not sure why they made the sister company, but it's the same good stuff

What kind of temps are you seeing at 4.2?

I idle around 40-42c'ish and 100% load in Linx after 20 passes max temp @ 80c.

In all of my overclocking I have learned a good cut off for the i7 is 85c. The chip will down throttle itself @ 100c to prevent damage. Most of the OC'ing world considers 85c a good stopping point on the i7, though.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Minerva Kissaki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

i just bumped my i7 930 to 3.6 gonna run this for a week before i bump it up another .2. Gonna try to ultimately hit 4ghz in 2 weeks

@ 3.6 hit 40 idle / 78 under load

i have a noctua cooler dual fan. Got the fans rpm limiters on. Should prob take them off if i plan on going higher to get that extra cooling =3

I kinda went overboard on my cooling... I wanted to do water but the fact that I have all of this and do hardly jack except surf the net and play XI and a few other random games like COD W@W I just can't justify the 1k+ on Water.

There again... I am not sure how I can justify what I have already o.O

http://theafterlifels.com/album/rona/100_0004.JPG

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yeah, I pushed my i5-750 to 4.2ghz and hit 88 at max load, didn't want to push it.

Plus since I don't NEED that power I'd rather not pay the higher electric bill :D Plus I like taking advantage of the turbo settings so I can throttle down low when idle and up to 4.0 when needed.