1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 7 hours, 25 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 16 hours, 34 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 0 hours, 25 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 9 hours, 34 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
    I'm somewhat concerned about all the worry warting I am seeing.

If you look at the FFXI Beta things are totally different from where it started off, we can hardly extrapolate anything from this Alpha video other than the game actually works.

Give it enough time to actually hit Beta then you should start looking for the flaws, otherwise I'm pretty sure the Alpha users will sound all your arguments 10x louder than you can on this forum.
    Yeah....since FFXI clearly looks like this in the final version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GiAJj3mHRs

So yeah I agree..people need to get off the "type of quality" and "Aion looks better" etc.

Because honestly...lol with how FFXIV looks now in Alpha..it'll more than likely be the best looking MMO come release..or standard looking MMO
    No one knows.

Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by vrumpt View Post
    all you fucking retards bitching about framerate need to go jump off a cliff for retardation.

its an alpha. i truly hope you didn't actually think it was going to have any kind of quality.

and this is exactly why, as nice as it is for them to give us gameplay footage, people are gonna blindly assume this is what the release build is gonna look like and base the entire game on that.
    This.

Also, its not just an alpha. This is a series of video captures of the alpha edited into a short story that is being streamed over the internet. There is so much shit that can cause it to be choppy besides it being an alpha.

Maybe your PC is just a fucking piece of shit? Or maybe your laptop is a piece of shit? Or your browser? Or your OS sucks at streaming (/side-eye Linux)? Or maybe your internet connection sucks or is saturated causing the stream to be chunky? Or maybe the person at SE who put this together fucked up the editing of scene transition?

It can be so many things. My stream was smooth on this netbook I am using and I didn't notice anything choppy about it. So, I am pretty impressed with how things look for this stage in the process.

I also have realistic expectations of what FFXIV is going to be. Its not the Elder Scrolls with some big open living world with fields and forests blowing in the wind while random vendors and NPCs migrate around throughout the day and week while stopping to make small chit chat with each other. This game is still an MMOG.

La Theine has plants and trees that look like they're blowing in the wind. So I am sure FFXIV will improve upon that as needed and where required.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Probably the biggest issue with the graphics at play is the lighting. The HDR isn't implemented yet, you can see plenty of city geometry that doesn't have self shadowing yet at all, in other words all the lighting is pre-baked, which ends up making the world seem very sterile, especially in indoor areas. We probably won't be seeing a full HDR till further into the beta phase probably since HDR can be absolutely horrible on an unoptimized visual engine. I know it will probably be a feature too since that was what they wanted to implement as far back as the games concept demo (the lighting in the that demo is incredible despite the sub par textures and FFXI player models), the indoor areas were great in that concept demo and the atmosphere was awesome with setting sun in the background on a busy market street. Sure its a concept, but the geometry in this game is already better than that demo.

Kristenn's Kat
    BG Level

I'd much rather they put out a strong and memorable game than the most impressive graphics for an rpg to date. If SE only has X ammount of time between now and release, I'd rather they spend more of it worrying about getting the roles to work together, getting interesting stories, getting fluid mechanics, and an interesting battle system that keeps everyone involved without turning into a 1,1,2,1,3,4, spam-fest.

Good graphics don't hurt, but a lot of the the things in games I've enjoyed the most had nothing at all to do with graphics.

That said, I think the pictures here are pretty. I think the charachter designs are pretty, and I think the /panic animations are pretty. I like how they kept the basics from ffxi, and made everything a little bit nicer. And if these pictures are really only going to get better, I have no problems. Honestly, I'd be fine with it as is if the game itself was well designed and involved (assuming it had a playable frame rate). Calling these pictures "rubbish" seems a bit out of line, imo.

The style of art is nice (imo), and I'm sure the clothes/gear will be too (once you get past the level one starter stuff that's been shown).

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBreeze View Post
    In the Lord of the Rings Online Alpha and Beta, characters didn't even run. They slid across the ground ffs. It's a test, not a final product, get over yourselves.
    Yo I was going to post this, it's like my defacto response to people bitching about betas. This isn't an exaggeration by the way, you literally fucking slid along the ground and the textures were fucking horrible.

Seriously, take this however you want but for an ALPHA build of FFXIV that looked EXTREMELY good. The correct response is excitement.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Conidering how well the Alpha build looks "If this really is what people will get as the alpha build, not me of course because SE shafted me on Beta invite...jerks."

We should be salivating over what the finished product is going to look like.

My only concern is how open they are being with this information usually companies are so damn tight lipped about alpha/beta testing, perhaps it's to stem the tide of unwanted leaks by making general information more accessable to the public outside the alpha/beta.

We all know what happens when you try to hide too much informations, the shit you really don't want people to see finds it's way out anyhow.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vega Castro
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It really feels like watching FFXI all over again with this, the place reminds me of bastok and so many things are just similar. Not that it's a bad thing, makes me think back 7 years ago :D

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Garona

Sadly these forums are going down the drain in a hurry. We have first wave videos and images and people are writing home about them. The game is 6 months out or so at least and people are blowing it apart as if they have been playing it for years. If you are simply looking to trash a game, try Warhammer. That game is horrid more than a year after release so your complaints about images, HD, lighting, mapping, blah blah blah blah can be justified.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I do hope they make more videos...soon, I want to see some Elzen and Miqto. If I see more Taru videos I will punt the first one I see ingame.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

At least the fish in the aquarium are right side up.

Gimp like a Pro!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

had that when i tried the Battlefield Bad Company 2 Beta. People were actually saying they won't buy the end-product, because the beta sucked. assuming that many people don't understand the huge Gap of Work, that needs to be done, especially for a game that is using the internet as the basic of it's form to play, then those people don't know shit from rice-crispy's.

seriously though, who gives a crap about the people that moan around about "oh crap dawg, no HDR-lighting in the house. this game is shit". I like the way even the alpha looks. And i can't wait to help to find bad issues in the game and report them, so people will enjoy this game.

Hamburgers FTW!!!

Actually the more I watch this the more the graphics grow on me.

But the hyur's "thumb's up" emote is dumb and the Lala's Walking animation is a little screwy which is weird since they nailed everything else about her.

Wow, 14 has amazing graphics for an MMO... I feel sorry for people playing ff11 fine on ancient hardware and expecting to jump to 14 lol. Still haven't seen a video where someone was playing a mithra yet though

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Elites View Post
    It really feels like watching FFXI all over again with this, the place reminds me of bastok and so many things are just similar. Not that it's a bad thing, makes me think back 7 years ago :D
    this 10000x and i love it!

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Lala walk animation looks horrid, I hope this is tweeked, and the low res textures and blandness ill chalk up to being alpha, I hope it's not final.

It does look fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Lala walk animation looks horrid, I hope this is tweeked, and the low res textures and blandness ill chalk up to being alpha, I hope it's not final.
    Just have to quote this again:

Quote Originally Posted by vrumpt
    all you fucking retards bitching about framerate need to go jump off a cliff for retardation.

its an alpha. i truly hope you didn't actually think it was going to have any kind of quality.

and this is exactly why, as nice as it is for them to give us gameplay footage, people are gonna blindly assume this is what the release build is gonna look like and base the entire game on that.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Lalafell run like Ninjas.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Needs a 720p download link btw.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe View Post
    lol, they are in the Bastok-esque city of course it looks like ass.
    So true.^^

Also, people comparing to Aion and you think Aion looks better? In as unfinished state as this is, it already beats the fuck out of Aion, and I liked Aion...

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Select HD > click GO > right click down and select save as

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast