1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 20 hours, 27 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 3 hours, 32 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 13 hours, 27 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -4 hours, -28 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Bitch used a smiley after everything... and was that supposed to be FFXI they were playing? huge ass difference from what we're doing now

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

LOL @ that POL video. Oh god.. haven't laughed so hard in.. oh god.

A. Body
    BG Level

It was crap from FF9 using models that were around that gen's capacity, but realistic instead of super deformed. I saw part of that shit a millennium ago. If my apathy approaches an emotion, it's closer to sadness than schadenfreude.

With the tribes and this video being revealed, lets hope the next few days & weeks will be just as interesting.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Croy View Post
    SE said the the PC textures will be 1080p and the PS3 textures are 720p, so no it won't be low quality textures .
    Mip levels. Also, until optimizations are done it's entirely possible they're using lower res versions than what they'll have on release intentionally (at least on the user alpha client).

Self-shadowing and HDR, when implemented (if implemented but I have a feeling those will be implemented before the end)
    They're already at least partially in, look at some of the alpha videos on youtube (from when they showed it in some convention...in germany I think?). May or not be enabled on the client alpha (they could still be tweaking looks and/or performance on it), but it's definitely already in their engine.

Bitch used a smiley after everything... and was that supposed to be FFXI they were playing? huge ass difference from what we're doing now
    http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/p...iley_faces.jpg

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by Seanr View Post
    It was areas from FF8 and FF9 with some generic characters that are not in either games... lol

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

i'm more interested in where they showed that vid and who was tortured to watch it at first

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by mr.bryce View Post
    err... doesnt ff11 actually look like this in the final version ??

there is not one scene in the ff14 video that can compare to the enthousiasm i had for the ff11 video when it came out. the forest and dragon scenes were awesome at the time. there s nothing awesome in the ff14 video.

music was better too
    Do you know what trailers are? Do you know what videos that are not trailers are?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelan? View Post
    Mip levels. Also, until optimizations are done it's entirely possible they're using lower res versions than what they'll have on release intentionally (at least on the user alpha client).
    Thats what I was insinuating, that the alpha textures are already lower res and that higher res ones would be coming later, but its hard to say until a client is ready to show for everyone to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelan? View Post
    They're already at least partially in, look at some of the alpha videos on youtube (from when they showed it in some convention...in germany I think?). May or not be enabled on the client alpha (they could still be tweaking looks and/or performance on it), but it's definitely already in their engine.
    Yeah I wasn't saying there was no dynamic lighting or shadows, but there was definitely a tone down of effect to minimal levels, levels that you only see on the lowest settings of most MMO's. When I mean self shadowing I mean the model of the character actually putting shadows on itself (Like a shadow of the hand in the light on a body and shadows between fingers etc. There is alot of pre-baked shadows on things like that currently which don't come off well in motion which makes certain things... static, more so than they should be.) There is ambient light shadows in the game currently though, its just toned down to an extreme, but I do like the soft shadows they are using for the character on the floor, hopefully they are sharper in more dynamic lighting areas though

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Nah, there's just not 4000 people playing atm.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

SE said the the PC textures will be 1080p and the PS3 textures are 720p, so no it won't be low quality textures . I don't think the 'geometry' of the terrain is going to change (or change much) from now and release, but MMORPG have a customary practice to use stand-in/temp textures during alpha and even into beta's. It is done so for two reasons: 1. the textures they want to use are not ready yet and are still in the process of being made and 2. lower res textures are better for alphas because engine isn't optimized yet and they want people to beable to actually play the game during this time without extremely limiting the potential tester batches.

Also the "look" of a game will change dramatically depending on how the lighting is done, and I mean night and day difference. The shadows produced during the 'lighting' is also a big thing. Self-shadowing and HDR, when implemented (if implemented but I have a feeling those will be implemented before the end) will make geometry that looks sterile actually look more rugged and down to earth because of the variance in the colors do to the lighting and shadows. Those hats for instance in the cooking session of the video have a major issue of what I like to "The holy resonance effect" where there is no self-shadowing in the folds or the edges, and it gives off that barren plastic look to it.

Third. Animation, like textures, might be temporary in some instances. A lot of the animations in the alpha will probably be in the final product, but you will have animation glitches in alphas that won't get fixed until later in the betas. You also have beta's like LOTR that didn't even have run or walk animations of any kind, they were added just shortly before release.

I would not judge the quality of the visuals till right around release or just shortly after release. MMORPG are notorious during the development process to have swift changes in looks, not because they arn't happy with the alpha/beta product, but because they were never meant to be the final product to begin with and they will turn on the final product visuals towards the end after everything else has been tested thoroughly. This happens with EVERY MMORPG and most single player games.
    You must be new here. You're not allowed to make posts in this section longer than two sentences unless what you're saying is pure shit. For future reference.

A. Body
    BG Level

hmm.... it's not that the graphics are bad, cuz they are pretty good, but i'm still a bit underwhelmed

someone dig up that tech demo they showed on the 360 way back when and compare? i seem to remember them saying it was rendered live and it was a lot more polished than this

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Then:

Now:

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

quality of above tech demo is shit so i dunno.

ES #1 HUE HUE HUE
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Super Bad
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

I don't know why you guys are hating on the lalafell run. I think it is kind of cute and I actually do think it was meant to look that way. Anyways, when I seen it I thought of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prDCDmchtTg

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Ok I don't mean to be a killjoy here, but does anyone else think those graphics look like shit? Really just hope that is the Alpha graphics and not the real deal.

ES #1 HUE HUE HUE
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Super Bad
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Ok I don't mean to be a killjoy here, but does anyone else think those graphics look like shit? Really just hope that is the Alpha graphics and not the real deal.
    I know right?

SE said the the PC textures will be 1080p and the PS3 textures are 720p, so no it won't be low quality textures . I don't think the 'geometry' of the terrain is going to change (or change much) from now and release, but MMORPG have a customary practice to use stand-in/temp textures during alpha and even into beta's. It is done so for two reasons: 1. the textures they want to use are not ready yet and are still in the process of being made and 2. lower res textures are better for alphas because engine isn't optimized yet and they want people to beable to actually play the game during this time without extremely limiting the potential tester batches.
    Textures are not done in 720p/1080p... that just refers to screen resolutions. Textures come in sizes such as 256x256 or 512x512 or 1024x1024... always in powers of 2 and each jump is 4x the amount of texture space and file size which increases the quality quite a bit, but draws more resources. I also seem to recall SE saying they would be creating two sets of textures for the models which is really not a huge deal if they planned for it. Textures are usually created at a higher resolution anyways and then scaled down to whatever size they are needed at.

Generally speaking... Alpha is the stage at which art is still be produced and base play concepts are still in the works so of course everything could look and play quite a bit different by the release date. Beta is generally looking for bugs, fixing balancing and wrapping up loose ends to get a the project ready for release.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Omniyoji View Post
    Then:

Now:
    PC version vs PS3?

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    PC version vs PS3?
    Its more like pre-rendered video done in software vs. actual game in-engine. They get to add better lighting and pretty effects. Its just a marketing tool and a goal they shoot for with the game. ;P

Has anyone considered that the quality may also be low, due to the resolution? The actual video is probably a lot better, but the quality was reduced when put on youtube? Or have I just had too much to drink?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast