BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

as quoted from aicn, and I agree with completely;

Deadline New York's Mike Fleming is reporting that Joss Whedon is in final negotiations to direct THE AVENGERS. Huge tip of the hat to IESB for being the first to name Whedon as a finalist for the project.

In many ways, Whedon is the ideal choice for this dream superhero project: starting with BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER (hell, even going back to writing in a reference to Gigantor in SPEED), he's been integral in the mainstreaming of geek culture; he's also been extremely active in the comic book world, launching ASTONISHING X-MEN and taking over for Brian K. Vaughan on RUNAWAYS. As a feature filmmaker, however, the jury is out: SERENITY may have been shot anamorphic, but it still played like TV on the big screen; as for the multitude of BUFFY, ANGEL and DOLLHOUSE episodes he's directed, I've yet to see him deliver something that has impressive physical scale.

And this is crucial because THE AVENGERS needs to be the biggest movie ever from Marvel Studios. It's the film they've been building towards since Nick Fury's post-credits cameo in IRON MAN. If they fall short, the Marvel Studios brand could be irrevocably diminished.

Another challenge for Whedon: managing egos, and not allowing THE AVENGERS to turn into IRON MAN 3 just because Robert Downey Jr. is the biggest star in the cast. This needs to be a true ensemble effort. If anyone leads the way, it should be Captain America. Though I don't know much about the script (Nick Fury allegedly plays a significant role in the narrative), I wouldn't be surprised if pressure is brought to bear on Zak Penn to beef up a role or two before the film goes before cameras in early 2011. Love Downey, love Tony Stark, but, as Harry said a couple of weeks ago, I'd rather this be the superhero version of THE PROFESSIONALS - with a slight emphasis on Cap. Or Henry Pym.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

So your biggest issue with Joss Whedon is that he isn't Michael Bay?

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Isn't the biggest selling point of Serenity was that he kept a 10+ person cast in check w/out sacrificing anyones screen time?

Marvel knows what the fuck is up.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Baelorn View Post
    So your biggest issue with Joss Whedon is that he isn't Michael Bay?
    Uh no. Michael Bay does some epic action scenes. Not saying they're all great or even most of his movies, but you have to say the man has an eye for scale. Everything I've ever seen Whedon do, nothing has ever felt like it was huge or important. Everything is downplayed. With a movie as big as the Avengers, you can't really go that route. I don't give a shit about too much back story in Avengers cause the chracters should already be established by their own movies. So it should be about all these characters forming a team and kicking a lot of ass. Michael Bay probably wouldn't be the best choice. Louis Leterrier did a fantastic job with the Hulk (not so much Clash) and Jon Favreau a fine job with Iron Man. Hopefully as reported in an earlier article Favreau is an executive producer.

This is all of course opinion and should be taken as such. I know Whedon has fans in droves on these forums. I just don't see why this man is seen as a visionary.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Reaver vs Alliance scene in Serenity lacked scale.

ok then.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    Everything I've ever seen Whedon do, nothing has ever felt like it was huge or important. Everything is downplayed.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I think Joss knows how to do epic. The aforementioned Serenity vs Reavers scene, River kicking the shit out of Reavers(amazing scene in every way), the 'Chosen' sequence from Buffy's finale, the Angel finale in its entirety was epic("Well, personally, I kinda wanna slay the dragon"), etc.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

I could see the point w/ River vs Reavers in Serenity not being that huge, it was just a small bunker with 1 girl, but obviously that was due to plot/budget constraints.. I doubt the same would be true with Marvel's financiers and the Avengers script.

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

On and unrelated note.. this seems like a good place to put a link a co-worker forward to me.

http://www.doctoroctoroc.com/8-bit-d...ble/watch.html

Sorry if it's old.

I liked Serenity and Firefly.. for some reason I found the movie lacking. Not that it wasn't a good movie, I just wasn't "ZOMG WHAT AN AWESOME MOVIE!" when it was over.

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalhart View Post
    I liked Serenity and Firefly.. for some reason I found the movie lacking. Not that it wasn't a good movie, I just wasn't "ZOMG WHAT AN AWESOME MOVIE!" when it was over.
    See I for one am not afraid to admit I cried when mal talked about loving the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    Uh no. Michael Bay does some epic action scenes. Not saying they're all great or even most of his movies, but you have to say the man has an eye for scale. Everything I've ever seen Whedon do, nothing has ever felt like it was huge or important. Everything is downplayed. With a movie as big as the Avengers, you can't really go that route. I don't give a shit about too much back story in Avengers cause the chracters should already be established by their own movies. So it should be about all these characters forming a team and kicking a lot of ass. Michael Bay probably wouldn't be the best choice. Louis Leterrier did a fantastic job with the Hulk (not so much Clash) and Jon Favreau a fine job with Iron Man. Hopefully as reported in an earlier article Favreau is an executive producer.

This is all of course opinion and should be taken as such. I know Whedon has fans in droves on these forums. I just don't see why this man is seen as a visionary.

Bay would just rape it like he did to Transformers and will do to that TMNT movie.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

from <redacted>

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Joss Whedon confirmed as Director for Avengers Movie

Didn't see anything about this so

Although many expected the official announcement to come Saturday during the Marvel Studios panel at Comic-Con International, Joss Whedon confirmed this afternoon that he is, indeed, directing The Avengers.

Asked about the film during the “Entertainment Weekly: The Visionaries” panel with J.J. Abrams, Whedon responded: “That is not an official thing. But I’m making that an official thing: I’m directing The Avengers.”

Of course, Whedon’s involvement in Marvel’s ensemble film has been one of the worst-kept secrets in Hollywood. Reports emerged as far back as April that the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and Firefly was negotiating to helm the studio’s 2012 tent-pole film, but rumors began circulating long before. Although neither Whedon nor the studio commented on the speculation, everyone from Zack Whedon to Edward Norton’s agent had essentially confirmed it.

The Whedon-directed Avengers will star Joss Whedon, stars Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Chris Hemsworth and Samuel L. Jackson — but not Edward Norton. The new Hulk, who may or may not be Mark Ruffalo, is expected to be announced at Saturday’s panel in Hall H. Perhaps those long-running rumors about Nathan Fillion and Eva Longoria as Ant-Man and the Wasp will finally be put to rest then, too.

The Avengers opens on May 4, 2012.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Whedon also confirmed today Hawkeye is being played by Jeremy Renner. Was a rumor for quite some time, but now we have a solid answer. Very good casting job, and can totally see this. Movie is going to be fucking amazing. I just wish they didn't have that falling out with Ed Norton

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Hawkeye was the only Avengers character I liked. Jeremy Renner is a good actor, maybe I'll see this after all.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Hawkeye is the man, his resurrection was the best back from the dead call of this decade along with Hal Jordan.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

That sucks they're using the Hulk but its not Edward Norton. I don't know if his movie was considered good, but changing people still sucks.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Whedon also confirmed that Ant Man won't be in the movie.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Never really read Marvel growing up but...Ant-Man lol?

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Arrmani View Post
    That sucks they're using the Hulk but its not Edward Norton. I don't know if his movie was considered good, but changing people still sucks.
    It wasn't how good/bad the Hulk movie was, it was that Edward Norton acted like a whiny bitch in the weeks leading up to release talking about how upset he was with how the movie came out and whatnot.

Any exec with a brain could see that hiring an actor who is going to downtalk is own movie when he should be doing pressers and promos is a bad idea, so they canned him from the Avengers.

Ant-Man~

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

even though Joss was joking when he said it I am still hoping for Fillion as Ant Man
    not gonna happen though, Castle keeps him busy I'm sure