+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

120 hrs and not one problem on my 60GB, I even quit/reload my save near the Eden Adamantoise if I don't get anything for like probably 20 of that 120 (I use Summon to kill faster).

Quote Originally Posted by DJvGalen View Post
    I had something similar happen about a year ago or so but the cause was GTA IV. At first it would not always recognise Blue Ray discs then after a bit it wouldn't play BR's at all anymore.

I had it sent back and Sony gave me a brand new fat 80 GB. Now I have about 130 hours on my first game and last week I made a new game which has about 35 hours on it and I don't have any problems yet...

I read about this issue on Gamefaqs and the people there all seem to have this freeze at the start of the game, in the hanging edge.
    Snake ate our fat PS3 right when MGS4 came out with the same thing... thankfully was under warranty and Sony were pretty good about it (compared to the fun I had with Microsoft when the 360 went a week before the warranty on that expired). Was exactly the same thing - complete inability to read discs.

Think it's one of these if it's going to go it's going to go - a game that's harder pushing on it might be what flips it over the edge type things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sign View Post
    Just wanted to post my times to give some people a little re-assurance that it won't wreck all consoles.

Just finished my second playthrough.

Playthrough 1: 52:50:10
    Playthrough 2: 82:17:38

I have logged a lot of hours on my PS3 (60GB Fat; bought when they did the very first $100 price cut) with nary(sp?) a hiccup.
    I have an 80 GB fatty no issues with 13 yet, BUT my ps3 since I bought it beeps slightly (more of a chirp) in random intervals while it is running a game(Doesn't matter if disk or hard drive), happens when not running a game too. Does anyone know about the cause of this/ experienced anything similar

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Yeah, I haven't played my PS3 all that long. Had about 74 hours on FFXIII (haven't played in a while.. only like 64% complete on trophies, though I lack like 5 of 'em).. no problems, but not speaking too soon.

Shitty that it sounds like it's pretty much a laser issue on the fats. :/ I have a fat 80GB that I paid 399$ for (got it before the price drop..derp..)

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Yeah, I haven't played my PS3 all that long. Had about 74 hours on FFXIII (haven't played in a while.. only like 64% complete on trophies, though I lack like 5 of 'em).. no problems, but not speaking too soon.

Shitty that it sounds like it's pretty much a laser issue on the fats. :/ I have a fat 80GB that I paid 399$ for (got it before the price drop..derp..)
    Yeah same here... hopefully it doesn't happen. I have about 20 hours or so atm on FF13, I haven't played it much since I got it but I don't wanna lose something I paid so much for.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Well fuck. I just started investing major time in this game, not really what I fucking wanted to hear.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

76 hours into my first playthrough and no freezes so far. I have a launch 60 GB PS3.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

The only issue I've had was when I was loading a save, it stayed on "loading" forever. It didn't freeze ebcause I could still hit the middle "PS" button and navigate. Reloaded the game and it worked fine. Has Sony/SE released an official statement yet? WHen they do, they'll probably have to pay for repairs, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're reluctant.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I just read on Kotaku in the comments section that some people are having this happen with God of War 3 as well, doesn't seem to be very widespread though. Probably less than 1% of the people that bought either game have had a problem, and that could be attributed to normal wear and tear to be perfectly honest.

If I were a large company, I wouldn't even begin to consider acknowledging anything until the problem rate was at about 15% or higher.

Sorry for the necrobump but I just got back home and decided to play FFXIII amongst other games I've missed this past year. There were no problems until I started playing FFXIII and now the game will run for about 5-10mins then it will freeze, forcing me to reset. After the reset the PS3 wouldn't even detect the disc was still in the drive.

I've managed to load FFXIII a few times since the 1st time it froze and the same thing happens everytime. Gonna try playing some other games for a while and see if I have the same problem.

Edit - I have the original 60GB model PS3 with the PS2 chip.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

This also happened to me. I hardly ever touched my ps3 until I got a copy of FF13, go figure it happened with this game! I was farming turtles (~80hrs) in and after a save, my game froze. My 60g fat ps3 wouldn't read any type of CDs. After some brief re-search I decided to buy a laser and replace it.

Works like new now, wasn't hard at all to replace and there are plenty of tutorials on youtube/google.

MoogleAura: Can you play anything else besides games in the HDD? If not, is the clock hand on the top right corner of the screen spinning while you put any type of CD? If so your best bet is to first clean the lens or ps3 as a whole. If that doesn't work then it probably needs a lens replacement.

Edit: I guess your first step before opening it is to reset the ps3 as a whole. Maybe you have some sort of software problem.

The problem has spread to playing other games now too. >__< The clock is still spinning in the corner so maybe I can try opening it up and cleaning the lense. I did the restore software settings but it didn't fix it sadly.

Whether I end up replacing the laser or buying a new PS3 the question is, do I dare play FFXIII or run the risk of breaking a 2nd PS3. T-T Haven't got the money now to do anything to it really. I got my DS & PSP to keep me busy though. Also I could always play on my Wii...*shudders*

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I'd try the lens route first. Most of them on Amazon/Ebay come with a "reliable" warranty. You'd just have to fork $45-50. Just make sure you get one that is compatible with your ps3. It seems all 20g, 60g early models have the same lens, but not the 40gig. Not 100% sure, so look more into that.

If you want some re-affirmation, I often play FF13 and it's been close to 2 months since I replaced mine. Good luck

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Hellscream

I have original PS3 60gig (With upgraded 100 gig HD). I haven't had much of a real issue with FF13... I think it locked up twice in two play thru's.

Actually my PS3 seems to lock up after 6-8+ hours of playing any game without turning off. Anyone else have that type of issue?

Witty Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eticket Pogona
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Something like this happened to me after playing FFXIII. None of my discs would load at all.

Rebuilding the database fixed it though.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/...on/m-p/6086723

I played it on 360 like 30 hours, no problems, I installed to HDD though so it doesn't really "Read" the disc.

This is the only forum I've ever heard anyone say that FF13 breaks consoles, then again people on other forums mostly hate the game.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

My brother and I have 186 hours between us on FF13 on our Old 80gig. Seems like its just luck of the draw to whether or not it dies. :/

The Bloody Habanero
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I have the 60gb = CECHA01 fatty and didn't get very far into ff13 and had several freezes before I read this thread. >.> However, any other game or movie disc plays fine. I only play a handful of ps2 titles on it including ff12 and ffxi off hdd.

Thankfully I'll be pc gaming over the next year mostly except for socom 4 and Halo Reach on 360. Bought a new lens in a used deck off ebay. good price, good seller with 30 day warranty and covers the diode and you can send him back your funked up lens and deck for a little extra cash off. user: ced70 was his account on ebay if anyone needs a good supplier. Solid rep.

So the repair company gets back to me today. They've had my PS3 running for hours with different Blu-Ray discs. The diagnosis...there is absolutely nothing wrong with my PS3... <_>

It's not overheating, it's not the Blu-Ray drive, I restored the database 3 times before I eventually sent it in for repair. Their only comment was it might be my discs. ever since playing FFXIII, the problem has affected every Blu-Ray disc I've tried to play.

What else can I do, if the professionals can't find a fault with it.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Wait, are you telling me they "tested" with many CDs and they could play them while you couldn't. Even after getting it back it wont play anything for you? Something shady sure is going on.

Ask a neighbor for a dvd or blu-ray movie and play it. If it still wont play it then it's most likely the laser like stated before.

Solution? Fix it yourself and save money or send it back to Sony and get a new ps3 for ~$150 usds.