+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

WTB Video Card - Need Information

Recently purchased a new PC. We didn't have time to shop around and I've never built my own... not that I trust myself to do so. We got what seemed the best performance for the price between a few stores.

Anyways, I finally got the cash so I'm looking to up the graphics card. I've purchased one in the past for an odler PC but with the help of a friend who I've since lost contact with. With the new OS and Tech out there, I'm even more at a loss. I just don't know what my PC will support. I'm hoping someone here can help me out with a couple of options.

My PC/Specs: HP Pavilion h6320y

More Specific Information from a program called Speccy:

My price limit is probably around $130. I'm aware I may need to upgrade my PSU... if you could, please recommend a card and/or a PSU+Card within my range.

All input is appreciated. Thank you.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

You got ripped off like really bad by buying this piece of junk prebuilt computer, if i were you i would immediately return it for a full refund of my money.

I highly suggest going with Cyberpower, they build custom systems for people and you have an option for each piece of hardware that goes into your system.
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_I/

Seriously though, return that piece of junk immediately, i'm not even kidding it's extremely bad.

I have no idea what motherboard is in that thing because it's not even a named brand but i guess a gts 250 or something will work with it if you can't return it.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Yeah... that PC really isn't that great for the price. I'd return it and build one. Seriously, if you can build a lego castle you can build a computer.

But anyway. The EVGA GTS 250 is a good video card in that price range. Of course you'd get a lot more bang for your buck if you were willing to spend an extra hundred dollars or so.

Don't forget that both Nvidia and ATI are introducing their next generation of video cards soon. It might be worth waiting a bit, as the later generations will see a price drop in the next month or so.

"Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, it is too late to return the PC. I gave a call and they denied me.

It was a family buy. I put in some cash with my aunt to replace our old one. The old one's HD died. Wasn't able to use the factory image on the partition and we lost the recovery discs somewhere after the house fire. It was 6 years old so it wasn't really worth repairing. Gateway wouldn't sell you the discs 3 years after the ship date. Do to limited time, no internet access, and never having done more than install RAM or a video card we just opted to buy a prebuilt. This appeared to be the best option at the time for $650 with the "generic" information provided.

Back on topic:

This thing will run a PCI Express 2.0 x16, right? I know it has a PCI Express x16 slot but I wasn't sure if it was compatible with 2.0, at least from what someone in my LS said. Also, would I need an upgraded PSU? I know I'm at 300w.

I am willing to wait if there's a new line coming out, yeah. Is there an official date for either brand release? Maybe I should just ask back then? I should be able to put at least $20-40 more towards it in a month.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

seconding the gts 250. pci-e 2.0 x16 cards are backwards compatible with pci-e 1.0 x16 slots. not entirely sure on power, it'd be a close call according to this power supply calculator site i can't link cause POSTCOUNT. But anyway , you'd be around the 300w min required. may need to upgrade to a 400w.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRuzhyo View Post
    I am willing to wait if there's a new line coming out, yeah. Is there an official date for either brand release? Maybe I should just ask back then? I should be able to put at least $20-40 more towards it in a month.
    Both the Nvidia GTX 480 and the ATI 5970 launch next week. If you wait til the end of this month or early May, you'll prob see the current cards drop in price.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

The 1GB memory size version of the GTS 250 is better than the 512MB version. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-439-_-Product
    It says a minimum of a 400w power supply for the video card, so go for a 500w-650w, make sure it's a brand name and while not crucial a single +12v rail is the best from what i heard. Corsair and Silverstone has some really nice power supplies aswell as other manufacturers. Might want to look into a modular power supply to because the case you currently have really isn't good at all and it'll be one huge cable mess restricting the already limited airflow without it.

"Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Agito View Post
    The 1GB memory size version of the GTS 250 is better than the 512MB version. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-439-_-Product
    It says a minimum of a 400w power supply for the video card, so go for a 500w-650w, make sure it's a brand name and while not crucial a single +12v rail is the best from what i heard. Corsair and Silverstone has some really nice power supplies aswell as other manufacturers. Might want to look into a modular power supply to because the case you currently have really isn't good at all and it'll be one huge cable mess restricting the already limited airflow without it.
    Power supplies are something I know absolutely nothing about. I basically browsed Newegg looking at Wikia, looking up terms as I came across them.

I searched for a 500-600w between $25-50. I've found one with both a mark-down and a rebate as well as numerous positive reviews. It is modular like you suggested but has two +12v rails. I'm wondering it any good/will work with my rig, as I'm still not quite sure on the connectors/pins.

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    Both the Nvidia GTX 480 and the ATI 5970 launch next week. If you wait til the end of this month or early May, you'll prob see the current cards drop in price.
    Yeah, waiting until mid-way isn't that much of an issue. I'll follow the price of the GTS 250 and similar cards so I don't have to bug anyone when that time comes.

Again, thank you all for your help.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRuzhyo View Post
    It is modular like you suggested but has two +12v rails. I'm wondering it any good/will work with my rig, as I'm still not quite sure on the connectors/pins.
    Don't worry about the +12v rail to much, having multiple +12v rails still makes a really good power supply so you're good there. Modular only means that the cables coming off it are detachable, if your not really worried about keeping extra cables in your case then a non modular power supply is fine and you can possibly save a little money there but the one you linked is quite a deal after the mail in rebate.

I found the motherboard specs (i think): http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...namitedata.com

I'm pretty sure the power supply you picked out is compatable with all the plugins and things, maybe someone can confirm this for you incase i missed something, don't want to suggest anything that won't work but i'm sure it will.

Something caught my idea when looking at the motherboard spec: "Video graphics* Up to 256MB dedicated (dynamic memory as allocated by Vista)"
    I have no idea what this means, maybe someone can shed some light on it.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

OCZ PSUs are generally pretty good. For an extra $10 though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139005

An extra 100W will allow more headroom for (potential) future upgrades down the road, and has a 5 year warranty. *Edit: Didn't see the OCZ had a rebate attached to it. I'd go with the OCZ if you're really price conscious.*

As for video cards, the GTS250 would be a good choice. If you can snag an HD5770 for ~$150 though, I think it'd be a better investment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-462-_-Product

Should be about 5-10% faster, use less power, and utilize DX11.

"Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
    OCZ PSUs are generally pretty good. For an extra $10 though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139005

An extra 100W will allow more headroom for (potential) future upgrades down the road, and has a 5 year warranty. *Edit: Didn't see the OCZ had a rebate attached to it. I'd go with the OCZ if you're really price conscious.*

As for video cards, the GTS250 would be a good choice. If you can snag an HD5770 for ~$150 though, I think it'd be a better investment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-462-_-Product

Should be about 5-10% faster, use less power, and utilize DX11.
    Yeah, I'm very price conscious. I myself do not have a stable income and most of what I get goes towards the bills. I'll keep the HD5770 in mind after the prices go down and hopefully there will be a sale of some sort.

So the PSU I found is the way to go, then? I can order it tomorrow if that's the case.

Hay guyz, I was Shinebox but now I'm not!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Don Katsu
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I ran a 4670 on a 300w power supply that card was good but I built another computer and my friend gave me his 4850. The 4670 was a decent card, it ran dragon age at max settings. My 4670 sits around now

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Didn't want to make a new thread:

I'm not really happy with my 4870X2 that I have, thinking about changing cards. ATI and battlefield don't love each other, probably going to nvidia. What cards are comparable to my 4870x2? I'd like something similar if not better, depending on the price. I run 2 1900x1200 monitors currently. Using a rampage mobo and an e8500, still ddr2 however, win7 64bit. My system isn't that old and I wanted to decide on a new card before I start overclocking.

Main drawback of the 4870x2 is I've had trouble overclocking it, and I am getting sick and tired of having to open up my ATI program and manually adjust the fan speed when playing certain games to keep from getting graphical issues. Sometimes in Battlefield I'll set it to 100% and it's just way way too loud. This card shouldn't need me to do this, it just seems to run way too hot when the rest of my case has no problems. I don't know if I'm just unlucky and got a bad card or what, but I think it's time for a change. Think my sisters 5750 is even better. Nvidia seems to favor the games I play as far as drivers go as well.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

If you want an nVidia card that performs better than the 4870x2, you have 3 options: 295, 470, 480.

And no, your 4870x2 is way faster than a 5750.

"Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

New issue: Will these huge cards fit? The case layout seems horrible as hell.

Will the GeForce GTS 250 into this:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../willitfit.jpg

Red circle is a mini transformer? It doesn't go all but maybe 1/4cm hgiher than the black slot.

Orange circle is a heatsink? Again, it is maybe 1/4cm higher than the black slot.

The card is fuckhuge and all of them seem to be; they take up two slots. The GTS250 1GB mentioned earlier should fit with the way it take sup two ports, but these two small obstacles may say otherwise.

EDIT: For reference, the full inside view of the case can be found here.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    If you want an nVidia card that performs better than the 4870x2, you have 3 options: 295, 470, 480.

And no, your 4870x2 is way faster than a 5750.
    I know it's faster, I meant the card she has just seems better. It's so much easier to mess with, doesn't run loud or hot... just seems like it's a better card and that I got a shitty one. Thanks for the card info time to shop.

edit: and newegg isnt showing me 295's and all the 400's are out of stock... sweet.

Cyberpower PC is a decent company.. I bought a PC from them a few years ago and had things went relatively well.

Granted, I haven't had to use them for any defects so I have no idea what there customer service is like.

Still though... It's cheaper to build your own and it is NOT hard. I had NEVER built a PC before and with a little research mine was a success. Not to mention it's a great feeling of accomplishment when it's done

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

"the GTS250 is an amazing card keep in mind thou unlike other video cards it's 1"(from the top) thick so make sure you have another panel that can be removed from the back else that video card won't work.

from the photo a 250 series probably will not fit here is a photo with the regions that will cause issues.

"Jammin'!"
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Equitas View Post
    It should easily fit into that slot you have(unless that photo was taken upside down), my MOBO is about the same sort of compact clustered layout. I loose a PCI slot with my card since its diretly below the x16 slot.... oh well
    It'll take up that network card slot above it, which i don't really care about. I'm just really worried about that heatsink on the motherboard. I can't seem to find the physical dimensions of the card itself so I've stessing it a bit... I think it''ll be bumping it, although it might be elevated above it. No idea.

And what luck, that PSU I wanted to buy got an increased rebate, has a $5 promo code, and now has free shipping. Getting it for a flat $40.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

i want to post a picture for you but need 10 posts since the slot migth be very hard to fit on into