Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    So for Aggressor up TP I'm torn between Kubira Beads and Backlash torque. I fulltime hasso 99.9% of the time now and Kubira beads kinda frighten me.

Torque + MKE helm = 4% counter, yo. Almost a MNK. <_<
    Why not tiercel necklace?

They're barely 400k now.

Edit: oh, jobs, right, nvm

If you want the STR without the +damage there's the Bull Necklace (campaign item, +4 str).

No +DEX but unless it's breaking a crit tier it's not a big deal,

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Dooom View Post
    95%, or do you want a more concrete, not-percentage number?
    meant a more concrete number, but what mazmaz says works

drg is probably my least used job, but one I enjoy most. If your LS has no one else with it, it's worth leveling just for angon; it's also pretty nice for JoL imo, which is pretty much the only time I use it without going "why am I not on war or sam?"
    I have several jobs to take up "least used" I have just realized lately that I am lacking a real "melee DD" and wanted to make myself more versatile etc, and I liked Dragoon more than the other options (plus it used the most gear I have lying about)

I mean, for physical DD, I have Ranger, Ninja, Blue Mage and Puppetmaster. I don't think any event I would come on one of those four would ever conflict with an event I would come on Dragoon for. D:

xXNyteFyreXx420Sharingan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

WAR can't wear Tiercel Necklace. None of the twohander jobs can.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra View Post
    The way to calculate PDT from defense/vit:

The % that X piece of equipment raises your current defense is the % PDT it will give. So if your pre-koenig Defense is lower, Koenig will add a greater % increase and thus greater % PDT. If you are Pld/war with minnes/tacos/defender, you'll probably get more PDT out of DS+1, however anything below that, Koenig would win.

Remember the formula:

Damage = Base damage X Pdif.

Pdif = Attacker's attack / Defender's Defense.

If attack is 400, Defense is 400, Pdif = 1. So whatever their Base damage is, is the damage you'll take,.

Add in 40 defense (10% increase), and the Pdif = 400/440 = .909. ~10% PDT.

So judge the % difference any defense piece is giving you, and compare that to PDT alternative. Generally the Defense pieces win... Just because SE fucking dicks us on pure PDT items (1-3% usually).
    I'm surprised no one chimed in on this. This is incorrect because pDIF comprises of more things than Ratio (ATT/DEF). What you described is simply ratio. However, there are other mechanics at work such as LV correction and funky pDIF stepwise equations that come into play (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/PDIF), which makes the math less straightforward. In many cases, PDT until the cap is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    or just thank me, jerk.

Random Question:
    Should I bother leveling Dragoon? Is it a real melee?
    Do it since you have most of the Homam already. The WS gear you can obtain relatively easily with an LS (Sky/Campaign/Legs from Salvage/AH). As for ACC, you want 407 when fighting colibri; 390 + Pizza is usually find for pack mobs like Dynamis/Merits/Limbus/Einherjar mobs; 410 for Odin and probably other HNMs. Turban + Homam + Blitz Ring + Rajas + Cuchulain/Foragers Mantle/Resilient Mantle + Swift Belt/Velo Belt + Askar/Aurum Body + Brutal Earring + Odin/Assault Earring + PCC/L Torque/Chiv Chain + Tiphia Sting/Astrolabe for your TP set.

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    I'm surprised no one chimed in on this. This is incorrect because pDIF comprises of more things than Ratio (ATT/DEF). What you described is simply ratio. However, there are other mechanics at work such as LV correction and funky pDIF stepwise equations that come into play (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/PDIF), which makes the math less straightforward. In many cases, PDT until the cap is best.
    It is a simplification, but it's a good guideline still. Graph. It might not be a straight line but average PDIF is still pretty close to a straight line that gets wonky near 0 atk/def and almost goes through (1,1). So IMO it's still a valid to say things like 20 def+ starting at 500 defense = roughly 4% damage reduction.

Not sure if level correction plays a part for NPC's/mobs when attacking lower level players (it doesn't for players), but if its' the same as players atk/def is the only factor that affects PDIF.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Martinius View Post
    up and coming elvaan rdm, currently at 68, have some questions:

2) af1+1: i'm sitting on an upgrade set, but i don't regularly do limbus, so it might be a while before i get another set. is the head for more int, or the body for mp while resting better? or are one of the other three pieces worth doing first?
    I have a set too and plan on doing the hat first. I don't think if I were you, with the gear you have coming up (Dalmy, goliard) that I'd bother with the body. I guess it could limit mp lost in changing gear. You'll need to carry Errant around anyway so don't really need the hMP. INT on the hat will make more difference than anything but tbh, I really don't see RDM af+1s as exceptional. Hence having sat on a set for a while. I nuke in Redingote, Cure in Goliard, Fresh/Haste in Duelist etc etc and only use AF body for Sleep/Bind/Grav/Blind etc

3) merits: i already plan on 5/5 slow2. i'm gonna play the job a bit more before doing anything else, to find if i enjoy soloing/salvage/whatever. i may take a minute off of convert, but otherwise, will the full slow2 negate the need for earth accuracy merits? 5/5 ice, 5/5 wind (or 2/5 wind, 3/5 convert) instead? it doesn't seem that phalanx2 or bio3 are fully worth it unless maxed, and i'd like to at least unlock para2. is para 2 worth unlocking, or just stick to a high mnd para 1, and cap phalanx2 if i like low-manning or bio3 if i like soloing?
    I'd go 5/5 Ice for Para/Bind for sure. That's what I'm doing. I hadn't considered earth merits but I want to cap convert. I think I'm sticking with high mnd para and going for phalanx but that's because I only ever play RDM in a group situation and my other gear/potential gear/merits lends itself to Phalanx more. Otherwise I'd consider Bio. I may stick in 1-2 merits in Dia III for zergs but like me you're more likely to be participating in them in another way. One thing I will say, a lot of people level RDM intent on soloing and actually, rarely if ever do.

4) do any of the magian swords beat a joyeuse, or for that matter joy/justice? the antea dmg +17, delay +36 oat looks better, but i'm new to swords.
    I think if you read through the thread that the OAT rate on Joytoy procs more often and so it wins. Don't know if you have one already though. Depends what you see yourself doing... with the other jobs you have, the only real chance you have to use a sword is for solo and even then, will soloing involve more kite/dot/bind/grav/sleep strat than melee? /shrug your call but I don't think it's a critical consideration.

5) my magic merits are currently at 8/8 elemental and enfeebling. if i get my hands on af2 hands, is it worth dropping two elemental merits (my blm would skill reach 320 skill at 6/8 ) to put into enhancing to break the new tier on phalanx?
    Again, work out how you're likely to play RDM, but probably not. I kept my 2 enhancing merits for other reasons. RDM nuking is really useful at times (Nyzul Isle, Limbus, Salvage and speeding up solos) and needs every bit of skill you can throw at it. I'd keep the skill merits.

Quote Originally Posted by Amok View Post
    It is a simplification, but it's a good guideline still. Graph. It might not be a straight line but average PDIF is still pretty close to a straight line that gets wonky near 0 atk/def and almost goes through (1,1). So IMO it's still a valid to say things like 20 def+ starting at 500 defense = roughly 4% damage reduction.

Not sure if level correction plays a part for NPC's/mobs when attacking lower level players (it doesn't for players), but if its' the same as players atk/def is the only factor that affects PDIF.
    Pretty much. Level correction is one way, not both ways. It effects how your damage is calculated on mobs higher than you, but not lower. Any mob hitting you (and you being lower than it) will have a lvl correction of 0.

The other step sides of Pdif are still pretty straight, and this philosophy gives people a pretty good way to determining which pieces will offer more PDT.

A lot of people just dont know this stuff, so they end up buying/wearing inferior peices to alternatives they already had...

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Amok View Post
    I'd upgrade body after hat for needing 1 less merit to max Spell Interruption -%.
    Please tell me you don't have tabard or goliard...

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Any server control Throne Room two different weeks yet? Was wondering if Allied Rings are re-obtainable or if its a one time only deal.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Probably cause she's ice. Has int and MAB afaik. At least at 75 she does, it's why Heavenly Strike gets merited iirc.
    Incorrect.

It's a common misconception that the celestial avatars have some benefit over their element e.g. Ifrit more attack, Shiva more MAB, Garuda more evasion, etc. They don't. The similarities and differences between the avatars are as follows:

Celestials (incl. Diabolos)
    -Same attributes (INT, STR, etc), no bonuses for each element
    -Highly resistant to strong element/same element (e.g. Titan good vs earth+thunder); slightly more resistant to the -same- element.
    -320 delay
    -BLM main.

Fenrir
    -280 delay
    -Higher attack

Carbuncle
    -WHM main. (complete with Auto-Regen trait)
    -320 delay.
    -Weaker DMG than the others which have the same.

Universal similarities
    -Innate -50% PHYSICAL damage taken. (does not apply to magical spells)

The reason why Heavenly Strike is merited is because of Morana's Pigaches, most monsters weak to ice syndrome, and/or the animation is cool. Wind Blade is also merited because you can pick and choose physical/magical when Garuda is out (and shes cheap). Geocrush is also merited because it inflicts Stun.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kegsay View Post
    Geocrush is also merited because it inflicts Stun.
    Actually, you cap Geocrush because Titan and his thong don't get enough love as it is.

I heard that Geocrush's stun is not lightning based. Any truth to that?