DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Random Question Thread IX: Mathology 101

Quote Originally Posted by isladar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by isladar
    Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    This thread is for off-the-cuff questions that don't merit a full topic to answer. "What should I wear for my level 65 pup? What's the best way to learn the Qutrub Blu spell?"

Original thread:
    Thread the Second.

DOUBLE RANDOM.

RANDOM III
    RANDOM V: SIX HIT SIX HIT SIX HIT
    Random VII: I Find Your Lack of Research Disturbing
    Random VIII: A STICKY, THERE IS ONE

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

From last thread

Recently purchased a kraken club. please enlighten me with fun ways to use it.
    aiming for that angel blade WS to spam in campaign but cant really think of other ways to use it
    Level drk or rng?

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Try out some RDM enspell action.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Mathology-related quote people should really learn by heart:

Saying "the mafz proovz it tho!" is a pisspoor attempt to disprove many people parsing (the only real way to see if x>y)
    http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/9/93...esman_rage.gif

Are you really that dense?

Math:
    - Accurateness of results solely depend on how accurate your models are (and if you did the math right, obviously, but some of us did pass highschool). In FFXI's case, the models we currently have (especially melee, which is the topic at hand) are very fucking accurate, if not perfect.

Parses:
    - The only way to get a reliable parse is through the ceteris paribus assumption ('holding all other factors equal'), which in FFXI (and in most other real life situations) is fucking impossible, a ridiculous assumption really if you consider people having to be identical (spoilers: not even cloning does that). People say that mathed results only count in a vacuum; it's actually the other way around. You'd have to be in a vacuum for parses to be feasibly reliable.

has an accurate way to judge how a piece of equipment will scale under lvl sync been figured out? for example, i'd like to minimize the gear i need on hand to xp on sam and i'd like to have a set that will let me xp at lvl 37 and at 62+ with as much overlap as is feasable. how, for example, would an amemet+1 scale vs a besieger mantle at 37-41? spike earrings+1 vs beetle?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Dooom View Post
    From last thread

Level drk or rng?
    I think DRK is mandatory if you have a kraken club, but RNG is definitly a(if not the) top tier DD with a proper kraken build on merit-type mobs (which is a pretty large part of the game)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

To those with experience on Goblintrap:

Wiki says 5%~, i've basically been at every kill (or tracked those who did), 0/40 myself, 0/50 since I started camping, my kills ranging from no TH, to TH4, has anyone even got this drop post update, or am I beyond unlucky?

@Doom : Meritting more than 2 AM2 can be nice to have available for manafont, Burst2->Freeze2->Thundaga3->Blizzaga3 only takes 40 seconds and without potency merits another AM2 will still outdo tier 4s in damage/time. Also, isolated situations like Armed Gears limit your spells available and may make using them for recast purposes viable. Realistically, you should only be using AM2 during manafont or magic burst though.

Wiki says 5%~, i've basically been at every kill (or tracked those who did), 0/40 myself, 0/50 since I started camping, my kills ranging from no TH, to TH4, has anyone even got this drop post update, or am I beyond unlucky?
    You already asked this and were told it's a shitty droprate. I'm 0/40+ on Scylla and 0/35+ on Ignamoth.. new NMs just blow.

Faster than Walt Flanagan's Dog
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by shukudai View Post

I just got the earring a couple days ago (Tuesday I believe) ended up totaling 1/4 (was 1/22 on Goaftrap) Camped it every time RDM/BLM (/lazy). Just sounds like bad luck for you.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

Tredecim Scythe or Death Scythe?

I currently half way on IS for perdu

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Tred if you have to choose between the two, but Moli is better than either if you have a Rajas and are /sam.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

I actually forgot about that scythe, thanks

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Thanks for the replies, just making sure I'll continue camping it until I get it, 0/50 seems a little insane.

In relation, have any of you who camped Goblintrap seen it spawn before the 60 minutes after death? Obviously the wiki was incorrect about the 90 minute window (I've seen it pop way past 90 minutes, many times), was wondering if it was possible to get it to spawn before the 60 minutes? I've only recently started killing PH right after NM death.

Generally, i've never seen it appear before 1h30min after death.

Faster than Walt Flanagan's Dog
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

In the 4 times I camped Goblintrap spawn times were (approximately) 1h45m, 2h30m, 5h45min, 2h30m after last ToD. I'm pretty sure 90m is the minimum for the window to open but it can take a hell of a lot longer than that to pop.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by shukudai View Post
    Thanks for the replies, just making sure I'll continue camping it until I get it, 0/50 seems a little insane.

In relation, have any of you who camped Goblintrap seen it spawn before the 60 minutes after death? Obviously the wiki was incorrect about the 90 minute window (I've seen it pop way past 90 minutes, many times), was wondering if it was possible to get it to spawn before the 60 minutes? I've only recently started killing PH right after NM death.

Generally, i've never seen it appear before 1h30min after death.
    Took me a fuckton of kills for my earring too; I never saw it spawn before 90 minutes after death. I've also had it take more than three hours(only one camping, killing placeholder every five minutes) to spawn. I know a couple of people with worse luck than you, the droprate is just horrid.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Originally Posted by cdgreg View Post
    Sandy (S) WOTG Quest - Blood of Heroes

Anyone done this fight? Can it be duo'd like the Cait Sith fight where you keep the chic cured?
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfoxster
    Not really sure but i am leaning towards no. Because Excenmille will go for the Kingslayer which makes him tanking all 8 mobs. Since when i did it with 5, we already need a whm to dedicate healing him when he faces 1v1 on Kingslayer. So i don't really see how he can tank all 8 with additonal 1 more healer.

Edit: Oh forget to add that Excenmille does AoE ws iirc, which will make all the minions heading towards you from overcure hate.
    Sorry if that's quoted shitty, tried to do it manually from previous thread. What kind of setup did you use and how easy was it for ya?

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Not hard to do that fight. The blm orcs go down SO easily. We had a ninja, 2 DD and 2 healers. We waited for excenmille to run in and get all the hate, then the ninja took the bugard and tanked him in a corner. Healers focused on excenmille while the DD (blu, which was me and a SAM) killed the BLM orcs, which die extremely fast (took two spells). Then we went for the bugard, then the war orcs, then the main NM. Very fun/easy fight. I believe it was actually one healer on WHM and the other was a blm, he just slept the orcs but it doesn't really matter much cause excenmille just wakes them up, but it can save some MP if you wanna sleep them.

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

I wasn't playing FFXI when it was added, so which jobs can get something decent from Succor to the Sidhe? A cursory glance suggests THF and PUP get a good deal while MNK and WHM get the shaft. I also assume any staff weapons are terrible.

p.s. reverse rocket calculonometry > mathology.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Priran View Post
    I wasn't playing FFXI when it was added, so which jobs can get something decent from Succor to the Sidhe? A cursory glance suggests THF and PUP get a good deal while MNK and WHM get the shaft. I also assume any staff weapons are terrible.

p.s. reverse rocket calculonometry > mathology.
    Thf can get a pretty pimp weapon with luck, yeah, as do pup. Smn can also get good stuff, as well as drg. Warrior can potentially too. Though, for DD jobs now I'd probably focus more on Magin weapons than Sidhe ones.

Banned.

BG Level

For pure solo:

5/5 Bio II
    5/5 Slow II

But it really depends on what you plan to do.
    Bio3 is fairly worthless really. I'd take para2 over it any day.

As for faith solo, the only way i've done it was by dot->port. It may be possible to straight tank it, but it would be very difficult without slow, and if petrify landed even once, you'd be screwed (fortunately with natural resist petrify, barstone, and barpetrify the odds of it landing are very low, but still possible). It's not too hard to dot->zone it though, so i wouldn't even bother trying to tank it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 74 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast