+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hipsters in NY are far too cool to do the Census.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=125811666

Many New York City residents aren't returning their census forms. The return rate is only around 50 percent, but the lowest rate of return (around 30 percent) is the hipster enclave of Williamsburg, Brooklyn. These young, recent graduates with ironic mustaches and plaid shirts are apparently too busy tweeting to fill out a simple census form.

I really don't understand it. I work for the census right now, and the form takes at most 5mins to fill out, and that's with me asking the questions and writing them down. Filling it out by yourself, if you don't have down syndrome, should take 3mins. Not to mention the most "invasive" question on there is if you own your home or rent or pay a mortgage.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

Living in Brooklyn, you'd just have to see the kind of douchebags that infest this area to understand why. All I can say. I'm pretty sure they all watch Glenn Beck.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Filled mine out because I'm that god damned patriotic.

Ridill
    BG Level

Took me 4min 25 seconds to fill out a census sheet for 5 people.
    Timed it because as soon as my mom saw it in the mail, all I heard was her bitching about how everyone she knew said it took forever to fill out.

Who the fuck takes forever to fill this out? Blind people? name, phone number, race, own house, birthday, sex. Thats about it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I find it ironic that the people who bitch about the Census most, and who mostly refuse to fill it out, are the ones that treat the Constitution like its the Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Took me 4min 25 seconds to fill out a census sheet for 5 people.
    Timed it because as soon as my mom saw it in the mail, all I heard was her bitching about how everyone she knew said it took forever to fill out.

Who the fuck takes forever to fill this out? Blind people? name, phone number, race, own house, birthday, sex. Thats about it.
    There are a small percentage of people who get a detailed census. It's significantly longer and requires more time to fill out.

However, it really is a small percentage of people, and it's statistically improbable that everyone your mom knows got it.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=125811666

I really don't understand it. I work for the census right now, and the form takes at most 5mins to fill out, and that's with me asking the questions and writing them down. Filling it out by yourself, if you don't have down syndrome, should take 3mins. Not to mention the most "invasive" question on there is if you own your home or rent or pay a mortgage.
    ARE YOU RYKO?

Trigun

Yes nyc hipsters fucking suck, especially at concerts when they think they're too cool to sing or clap along, when Jersey is in the house shit gets live!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Took less than a minute.

Black Belt
    BG Level

hipsters don't watch glen beck.

what is wrong with you guys

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Beckwin View Post
    hipsters don't watch glen beck.

what is wrong with you guys
    They do because it's ironic, duh.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

I am wondering the same thing as Beckwin.

Black Belt
    BG Level

also i'd imagine that a lot of brooklyn hipsters are somewhat transient (aka crashing with different people every couple months) so that might make it hard to get them to report. or something.

there's also people that go to NY (probably brooklyn or other hipster areas) for awhile and then kinda wash out and go back whence they came. in the last year a handful of people I know moved out there, an have only been living there maybe 6 months.

before NY, portland or seattle was the place for people to go from around where I live

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Soa View Post
    I find it ironic that the people who bitch about the Census most, and who mostly refuse to fill it out, are the ones that treat the Constitution like its the Bible.
    Disagree - I think the people carping about the census don't really know that much about the Constitution. They know a few important parts, and they certainly tout their reverence to it and the sanctity of it, but their actual knowledge of what it says and what it stands for is limited at best. Further still, their understanding of its creation, and its creators, is also deeply flawed. Ultimately they do not follow it so much as wield it, as a weapon, to promote their own views and brand dissenters as traitors.

Wait a minute... I'm sorry you were right. They are treating it like its the Bible.

Banned.

BG Level

This is why i moved to Park slope, fuck Williamsburg and fuck hipsters.
    yuppies for life

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post

I'm going to go with: the hispanics who can't figure out what to put in "What race are you?" when told they can't put hispanic.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

i want to move to williamsburg and wear a white belt

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

On a 100% serious note. Between the tragically hip and stupid, the nignorant, the illegals (both spic and slant), and the hasidic jews, brooklyn is FUCKED when it comes to federal funding in the next 10 years.

That said it means my job takes that much longer so I'm getting paid.

Deuces.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

If you fill out the census form, they'll use that information to stick you in an internment camp!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

goddamned hipsters ruin everything

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast