1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 16 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 43 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 11 hours, 16 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 22 hours, 43 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: New Classes Discovered     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    Possibly just "original" type of magic. I think the limitations for mage arms are much less severe than for the DoW weaponry, so they specialize in magic instead of weapon type. I mean, I think Conj/Thaum can both use staves and rods?

Just a guess though.
    They still have different kinds of staves, according to the site and alpha screenshots: Conjurer arms are wooden staves, Thaumaturge ones are staves that house a jewel.

Each job still needs an original weapon to exist, but the line can be pretty blurry as it seems to be for staves. I just hope they give the next mages books, magic gloves, or something, just so we don't end with 4 mages that use different kinds of staves.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

maybe wearing the same weapon as Thaum allows you to learn X spells and as Conj Y spells

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lunarhawk View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if one of the mage classes got a book or something as their weapon. Also I'm curious, if you put a DoW skill on a DoM class, do they finally hit the thing with their cane/rod/whatever?
    I'd love to see a mage smack a mob around with a book xD

Or maybe they'll pull something like FFTA and have a class that can use orbs as a weapon.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

This is my guess:

Disciples of War: 8
    Pugilist (Pgl) (Hand-to-Hand)
    Gladiator (Gla) (Sword, Great Sword, Shield, Two-Handed Shield)
    Marauder (Mrd) (Great Axe)
    Fencer (Fnc) (Precious Sword, Rapier, Off-Hand Rapier)
    Enforcer (Enf) (Club)
    Archer (Arc) (Great Bow, Bow, Arrow)
    Lancer (Lnc) (Polearm)
    Musketeer (Msk) (Musket, Bullet)

Disciples of Magic: 4
    Mystic (Mys) (Rod, Crozier)
    Thaumaturge (Thm) (Scepter, Staff)
    Conjurer (Con) (Wand, Cane)
    Arcanist (Acn) (Truncheon, Signum)

Disciples of the Hand: 8
    Carpenter (Crp) (Carpenters' Tool)
    Blacksmith (Bsm) (Blacksmiths' Tool)
    Armorer (Arm) (Armorers' Tool)
    Goldsmith (Gld) (Goldsmiths' Tool)
    Tanner (Tan) (Tanners' Tool)
    Weaver (Wvr) (Weavers' Tool)
    Alchemist (Alc) (Alchemists' Tool)
    Culinarian (Cul) (Culinarians' Tool)

Disciples of the Land: 5
    Harvester (Hrv) (Harvesting Tool)
    Miner (Min) (Mining Tool)
    Botanist (Btn) (Botanists' Tool)
    Fisher (Fsh) (Fishing Gear)
    Shepherd (Shp) (Shepherding Equipment)

Total: 25

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I still cannot picture how a 2-handed shield would work or even look

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the mage classes got a book or something as their weapon. Also I'm curious, if you put a DoW skill on a DoM class, do they finally hit the thing with their cane/rod/whatever?
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    I'd love to see a mage smack a mob around with a book xD

Or maybe they'll pull something like FFTA and have a class that can use orbs as a weapon.
    It won't be possible.

Since theres no auto-attack, each basic attack has to be commanded, but every single weapon has a different basic attack command. There doesn't seem to be a generic 'attack'

Like, Marauder's is "Hack", and for Lancer its "Thrust" and specifically requires a polearm. And for Conjurer's staves, that attack is 'Spirit Dart'...

so unless theres an attack that specifically calls upon whacking the enemy with a staff/rod, it wont be an option at all.

edit: in a sense i think its cool that mages finally don't physically attack to attack. kinda reminds me of old skool FFs where those who wear wands just make it flash and it does damage.. or Garnet in FF9 with the rackets

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Maybe the "lantern shield" is a "two-handed shield"?

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/wiki/en/i...ern_Shield.png

Doesn't look like it requires two-hands, but they will likely limit you in this way. Imagine having a sword in your main hand and a shield like this in your off hand? Quadrouple Wield.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

PLD needs something like that for shield bash in XI

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Newber View Post

Doesn't look like it requires two-hands, but they will likely limit you in this way. Imagine having a sword in your main hand and a shield like this in your off hand? Quadrouple Wield.
    Looks like a one-handed shield to me.

The two-handed shield won't allow use for a weapon, just defending, it seems like. Both hands will be firmly gripping the shield with no weapon.

EDIT: Was referring to the gauntlet-shield combo one you had before you changed it, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    It won't be possible.

Since theres no auto-attack, each basic attack has to be commanded, but every single weapon has a different basic attack command. There doesn't seem to be a generic 'attack'

Like, Marauder's is "Hack", and for Lancer its "Thrust" and specifically requires a polearm. And for Conjurer's staves, that attack is 'Spirit Dart'...

so unless theres an attack that specifically calls upon whacking the enemy with a staff/rod, it wont be an option at all.

edit: in a sense i think its cool that mages finally don't physically attack to attack. kinda reminds me of old skool FFs where those who wear wands just make it flash and it does damage.. or Garnet in FF9 with the rackets
    Well I mean marauders have a skill called trunk splitter. If you put that on a mage class (which I'm assuming you can since you can put the elemental spells on DoW classes) that would be the case when he "trunk split" the guy with his rod or cane or book or whatever.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well I mean marauders have a skill called trunk splitter. If you put that on a mage class (which I'm assuming you can since you can put the elemental spells on DoW classes) that would be the case when he "trunk split" the guy with his rod or cane or book or whatever.
    The skill description actually says that DoM can equip it.

New Odin
    BG Level

otherwise it just screws with the armoury system and you don't really have a way of switching between mage classes..
    Yeah, good point.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

i think this lantern shield may be it because it is like having 2 swords and a shield all at once so could be some kind of odd-ball translation as instead of a 2handed shield, it is 2x 1hand weapons + shield

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

oh ok..
    thats awfully strange but i suppose something that needs to be tested out.

i'm under the impression that you can't use it without an axe, but maybe it can still give you bonuses for equipping it?

If I'm not mistaken I think I was the 1st person in the main topic to point out the lantern shield as the possible 2 handed shield. Just fyi my thought behind it was that it sort of looked like you might be able to pull the sword(s) out of the shield, so if you equipped it it would take the place of both the glad's shield and his sword (which he pulled out from it when in combat) so it took up both hands when equipped.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I'm starting to worry that there won't be a greatsword class by launch time.

It's not likely Gladiators will get zweihanders

"EXC" might be Excavator, or if it's "Executioner" it might be different translation of Marauder. I'm personally hoping if it's Executioner, it uses zweihanders. Then I could die happily.

ENF is likely to be a large blunt weapon class

FNC is likely to use a rapier in the main hand and main gauche in the off hand

Then again, FNC might be a bad translation, since "Kendo" is typically practiced with two-handed swords.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Then again, FNC might be a bad translation, since "Kendo" is typically practiced with two-handed swords.
    There's Rapier and off-hand rapier in the .dat, so I think Fencer is the proper translation.

I'd think something more along the lines of:
    http://img.alibaba.com/photo/105300698/Roman_Shield.jpg
    http://www.roman-empire.net/army/pics/orb-02.jpg
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/81/24...1f3661f567.jpg
    http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...erspective.jpg

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Until the Gladiator page is updated, this is basically what I'e been thinking. Lantern Shield is the two handed shield, because it would take up both the Main Hand slot and Off Hand slot due to the one handed blades attached to it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I'm starting to worry that there won't be a greatsword class by launch time.

It's not likely Gladiators will get zweihanders

"EXC" might be Excavator, or if it's "Executioner" it might be different translation of Marauder. I'm personally hoping if it's Executioner, it uses zweihanders. Then I could die happily.

ENF is likely to be a large blunt weapon class

FNC is likely to use a rapier in the main hand and main gauche in the off hand

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showp...postcount=7027

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Jezgod View Post
    Hmmm....was going to use a name of "Jez God", but to be the first "Jesus Christ" Shepherd might be too much to resist.
    Wouldn't being a woodworker be a better fit for that name though, I mean he was a carpenter and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
    I still cannot picture how a 2-handed shield would work or even look

It won't be possible.

Honestly, this combat system reminds me a lot of the one that was in White Knight Chronicles. It had the same 'real time input' attack system, the same 'learn skills and abilities based on weapon' system and the same 'set your own attacks and abilities' system. In WKC, if you were to try and use the Sword's basic attack with a Great Axe, it wouldn't let you. However you could take spells and actual abilities(like Provoke and such) learned and set them to be used regardless of what weapon you're actually using. Maybe XIV's will follow the same system?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast