1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 2 hours, 5 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 21 hours, 54 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -5 hours, -55 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 14 hours, 54 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 155 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I'm going to speculate something about disciples of the hand, specifically, the tanner.

I believe someone found an error message in the dats along the lines of "Your party has exceeded its trap limit". I think it will be the tanner who makes these traps based on its official description, which says they "dabble in hunting and trapping".

We already know they are expanding the capabilities of combat classes, allowing them to fill multipe roles. Maybe they won't limit crafting classes to working with a single medium? We already know miners can scavenge monsters for extra loot and throw rocks. Maybe we'll see weavers picking up some first aid? Carpenters carving some old-fashioned muskets? Blacksmiths making jewelry - since goldsmith wasn't found in dats?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Kirb View Post
    I can't remember, were 2-handed shields actually confirmed, even?

Also, did anyone else see the Arcanist's Guild with their goggles and giant microscope, and think 'Chemist?' (Or a science-based mage.)
    Did anyone manage to take a screen of the strange weapon they were carrying on their backs?
    The shields are listed as what would seem to be an item category in the dats. That's all we know unless I missed something.

The looks of the arcanist guild/weapon make me think Arcanist will have buffing/temporal/spatial magic, also there currently isn't a job with real buffs and a few FFXI spells that haven't been introduced.

There's no Regen/Refresh/Haste/Slow/Bind assigned to any mage yet, and all of these fit the magic theme I mentioned.

There are a lot of FF spells that would also fit (Comet, Meteor, Stop, Old, etc). Could make Comet(II-III-IV)/Meteor the same as the Conjurer ranked nukes/AM, but nonelemental, and make Stop behave like a sleep. They could come up with buffs/debuffs that increase/decrease stats over time or something, too.

Living up to the title of the thread.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

It would be pretty bad ass to have some status effect traps you could place then run your mob(s) through for an enfeeble, or a bind etc.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Goldsmith is there. It was a class available at character creation in the alpha (just not selectable yet.)

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Lunarhawk View Post
    So on the matter of speculation my friend and I have been thinking that that the two handed shield is going to go to shepard so he has a reasonable defense when wolves attack his flock. What about you guys?
    I lol'd

Shepard likely will be a staff or club job. What remains to be seen is how pets play out in XIV if they even decide to go down that road again. Hopefully this time they put SOME effort into making pets more fluid.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I don't think there will be mog house, Moogles did not even play a large role in any FF game in the enitre series, some games all they where used for is save point or hints in the credits of the game.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

In the last thread some of us started talking about "Class Traits", and how they will be implemented or even if they will be implemented at all - since no traits have showed up in the dats so far. For those of you who still doubt the presence of traits, I just remember SE's mention of a "treasure-hunter" type trait that will be available to the miner.

As far as cross-class implementation of job traits, I suspect they will have "Action Point" costs just like abilities-- But the question is whether we will have to sacrifice action slots as well.

Also, I suspect that with the vast number of cross-class ability combinations available, SE will implement multiple "Action Bar Books" that can be customized and swapped out quickly while in passive mode.

Sagacious Sundi

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    I don't think there will be mog house, Moogles did not even play a large role in any FF game in the enitre series, some games all they where used for is save point or hints in the credits of the game.
    If moogles never playing a large role in any FF is why you think there won't be Mog Houses, doesn't that mean you consider MHs to be a large role and thus contradicted your statement that moogles did not play a large role in any FF?

But, regardless, I consider Mog Houses, nomad moogles, and event moogles to be on the same scale as save points (like in FF9). But that doesn't mean I think they will be in the game. (I still hope moogles are in the game in some actual form like in 3/5/6/9/11/Ivalice games/CC because they're just so goddamn adorable. Also, chocobos, moogles, cactuars, and tonberries are kinda considered the "four core" recurring creatures, although the latter two weren't in FF11 until Zilart.)

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Newber View Post
    In the last thread some of us started talking about "Class Traits", and how they will be implemented or even if they will be implemented at all - since no traits have showed up in the dats so far. For those of you who still doubt the presence of traits, I just remember SE's mention of a "treasure-hunter" type trait that will be available to the miner.

As far as cross-class implementation of job traits, I suspect they will have "Action Point" costs just like abilities-- But the question is whether we will have to sacrifice action slots as well.

Also, I suspect that with the vast number of cross-class ability combinations available, SE will implement multiple "Action Bar Books" that can be customized and swapped out quickly while in passive mode.
    I don't think traits will cost auction points. Auction points are for spells and abilities that you use, not traits. I'd guess traits are automatically learned as your class level levels up, are constantly "on", and class-only.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Traits.

I don't think we'll have XI style traits. The traits will be "hidden" except for the description of the weapon user.

Marauders in alpha got "random" messages about becoming one with their Axe and parrying/attack being raised. The official description implies standing sill increases a Marauder's effectiveness.

Lancers have a very situational description, hitting more than one enemy and staying out of range.

Gladiators have 3 different fighting styles.

Pugilists become more offensive or defensive based on the WS and Abilities they use.

To a lesser extent Thaumaturge and Conjurer have their own AoE.

I think these will be the "Job Traits" and be the core functions that keep each Arm unique.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ScGr View Post
    I don't think we'll have XI style traits. The traits will be "hidden" except for the description of the weapon user.

Marauders in alpha got "random" messages about becoming one with their Axe and parrying/attack being raised. The official description implies standing sill increases a Marauder's effectiveness.

Lancers have a very situational description, hitting more than one enemy and staying out of range.

Gladiators have 3 different fighting styles.

Pugilists become more offensive or defensive based on the WS and Abilities they use.

To a lesser extent Thaumaturge and Conjurer have their own AoE.

I think these will be the "Job Traits" and be the core functions that keep each Arm unique.
    I don't see why "Class Mechanics" and "Class Traits" have to be mutually exclusive. You don't consider the possibility of learning "Counter" on Pugilist or "Equip Shield" on Gladiator?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I don't see why "Class Mechanics" and "Class Traits" have to be mutually exclusive. You don't consider the possibility of learning "Counter" on Pugilist or "Equip Shield" on Gladiator?
    Not in XIV no. Counter is already present in WS and Abilities, you miss an attack or an attack misses you and you have a window to counter.

Gladiator is an expert with swords, not shields. Thaumaturge equips a shield as well.

The only restriction I see to off hand is what your main hand arm is. I see dual wield working this way as well. Instead of being an ability, your primary arm decides what off hand items you can hold.

At this point it seems contradicting for anything to be put in the action bar that isn't activated manually.

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Sagacious Sundi View Post
    If moogles never playing a large role in any FF is why you think there won't be Mog Houses, doesn't that mean you consider MHs to be a large role and thus contradicted your statement that moogles did not play a large role in any FF?

But, regardless, I consider Mog Houses, nomad moogles, and event moogles to be on the same scale as save points (like in FF9). But that doesn't mean I think they will be a game. (I still hope moogles are in the game in some actual form like in 3/5/6/9/11/Ivalice games/CC because they're just so goddamn adorable. Also, chocobos, moogles, cactuars, and tonberries are kinda considered the "four core" recurring creatures, although the latter two weren't in FF11 until Zilart.)
    There are a bunch of different "types" of moogles in the files...I believe they'll function as a normal NPC would, instead of serving a specific purpose.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

I expect anything that triggers an automatic action to dissapear (Zanshin, Double Attack, Counter, Kick Attacks, Triple Attack) and getting converted into active abilities.

Either way if they do end adding them, I'd expect the number of job traits to be really low (at least the ones coming from XI), because from the looks of it, we have more control over the way we use our spells and abilities.

Conjurer and Thaumaturge have abilities that reduce cast times, increase range, potency, and other effects. If the cooldowns aren't unreasonable, these could replace the need for certain job traits such as Fast Cast or Conserve MP.

Depending on how you charge up your ability, you can even alter its attack/accuracy.

A lot of FFXI job traits could just be transformed into active abilities (like in the examples above) that pretty much serve the same purpose.

Secretly and beyond any reasoning I'm still hoping for Job Traits learned from Armor after having it equipped for a number of battles/exp, like in IX. I know it won't happen though : p

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

It could happen. They did say that Archer, for example, would be able to craft his own arrows (in a limited capacity) after a while. I can only assume it would be from developing the necessary craft required to make arrows, then putting it in one of your action slots. seems even more reasonable to be able to repair weapons/armor on the fly in the field.

Kirb

Quote Originally Posted by Dredoc View Post
    It could happen. They did say that Archer, for example, would be able to craft his own arrows (in a limited capacity) after a while. I can only assume it would be from developing the necessary craft required to make arrows, then putting it in one of your action slots. seems even more reasonable to be able to repair weapons/armor on the fly in the field.
    Yeah, they stated in an interview that by using woodworking/carpentry/whatever, an archer would be able to craft additional arrows on the field.

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yeah, they stated in an interview that by using woodworking/carpentry/whatever, an archer would be able to craft additional arrows on the field.
    Archers also have several abilities to replenish their arrow supply. I found that really weird.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ScGr View Post
    Not in XIV no. Counter is already present in WS and Abilities, you miss an attack or an attack misses you and you have a window to counter.

Gladiator is an expert with swords, not shields. Thaumaturge equips a shield as well.

The only restriction I see to off hand is what your main hand arm is. I see dual wield working this way as well. Instead of being an ability, your primary arm decides what off hand items you can hold.

At this point it seems contradicting for anything to be put in the action bar that isn't activated manually.
    Meh. So I used bad examples. I provided evidence to support my claims, and you have yet to provide evidence against the inclusion of class traits. Wouldn't classes be a lot more boring with out gaining new traits as they progress? Double-attack could be adapted to this system. Attack Bonus, Store TP, Subtle Blow, Accuracy Bonus-- all easily adaptable. They don't all have to be ripped from FFXI. I could definately see Lancers getting a trait that increases their maximum melee attack range.

So what's the deal? Am I too optimistic or are you too pessimistic?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Meh. So I used bad examples. I provided evidence to support my claims, and you have yet to provide evidence against the inclusion of class traits. Wouldn't classes be a lot more boring with out gaining new traits as they progress? Double-attack could be adapted to this system. Attack Bonus, Store TP, Subtle Blow, Accuracy Bonus-- all easily adaptable. They don't all have to be ripped from FFXI. I could definitely see Lancers getting a trait that increases their maximum melee attack range.

So what's the deal? Am I too optimistic or are you too pessimistic?
    Whats the evidence you provided? The fact that SE have said they are considering having miners affect the drop rate? That could be due to an ability they use on a mob to trigger the effect.

At this stage I think the best evidence against traits is that so far there are none that we know of. Sure FFXI had them, but FFXIV is already significantly different, so that's a leap of faith, not evidence.

I'm not saying there will be no traits, or that I dont want them, just that anyone elses speculation is as valid as yours at this point.

I think the answer to your question is that neither of you are too optimistic or pessimistic. Your both making guesses based on various things, there's little point is trying to prove each other wrong.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Cairthenn View Post
    Archers also have several abilities to replenish their arrow supply. I found that really weird.
    Uhh.. okay. Gonna hazard a guess here, but I'm guessing you'd use woodworking/carpentry/whatever to create a new type of arrow, while you'd use the abilities to replenish them instead of having to always make your arrows or buy them. Make sense? I doubt you can replenish arrows you haven't seen yet, like platinum exploding arrows..when they may be top tier.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 155 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast