1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 12 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 11 hours, 45 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 5 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 4 hours, 45 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 155 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
    I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Jollipop View Post
    Seems traits are like the replenish MP effect conjurers get (Trance Chant i think it was called), you can't equip this to any other class but a conjurer.
    That's not a trait that is an actual ability that you can use. They said that certain abilities will be applied to all classes while certain abilities would only be usable my select classes. This is their way of never having to deal with the subjob/level issues that were the biggest reason that they had kept XI's cap at 75 for so long. They will never have to deal with any of the "Convert" issues when eventually raising the level cap. It simply will not be able to be applied.

Traits will more than likely be not be applicable to any other class but your main class. Most traits will probably be weapon based anyway. Use H2H gain martial arts... Because you can't be any other class with that weapon equipped what does it matter if you can't apply it to another?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Bronzebeard

Quote Originally Posted by niwaar View Post
    That's not a trait that is an actual ability that you can use.
    Semantics.

If its limited to a class then its also a trait, doesn't matter if its active or passive.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Jollipop View Post
    Semantics.

If its limited to a class then its also a trait, doesn't matter if its active or passive.
    Just like job traits in FFXI were limited to a particular job and couldn't be subbed?

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I just hope my magic for conjurer this time around will be more useful than using just blizz/thund most of the time. Same goes for those elemental arrows RNG got. Maybe they could do something like they did for Vivi & Steiner in 9 but better?

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Quel'dorei

For some reason I thought I remember reading something about this a while back but then again there may be no info on it, will there still be a sub job system like in FFXI?

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

I don't think the elemental spells have any difference in power this time. I'm sure it'll be about abusing weaknesses or pumping your elemental strength this time.

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

But that would actually make sense.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Bronzebeard

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin View Post
    Just like job traits in FFXI were limited to a particular job and couldn't be subbed?
    Hmm not really as there are no actual subjobs in 14 so it doesn't apply.

You only get to use what SE want you to, probably allowing your secondary skills to be the same level as your main ones.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Cairthenn View Post
    But that would actually make sense.
    I concede.

Vacht

Hmm, gonna have to change things @>@

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by mastamind View Post
    Has anyone in alpha tried pugilist and can give their experience with it?

I'm almost sure i read every page in the last thread and didn't see anything about pugilists.
    I played a pug for a bit but server issues prevented me from really doing much.

Quote Originally Posted by King Zuca View Post
    have'nt found this anywhere, but are the alpha tests going to resume as normal this week?

hopefuly they got a lot of kinks out, and it will be smoother for testers to really get some testing done.
    No word from SE yet.

Vacht

Well, we complained about it being too crowded, so we cant start complaining again. We had to realize if the mods were going to remove all the b/s they were going to have to remove the illegal pics and streams that were on here as well per NDA. Otherwise that would be a blatant disregard to SE's requests.

We made our bed, now we lay in it.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Vlare View Post
    For some reason I thought I remember reading something about this a while back but then again there may be no info on it, will there still be a sub job system like in FFXI?
    No, subjobs are an FFXI mechanic only. And since people seem to be having trouble comprehending this, or just refusing to actually read the wealth of information we already have:

Leveling multiple classes will still be important as you can use skills learned from them on other classes. Each class has specific abilities that only that class can use, but others are classed as Disciple of Magic or Disciple of War or both and can be used on any job once you've reached the same level with the second job (example: you level Lancer to 5 and learn Skewer, you then change to Marauder and when you get to level 5 on Marauder you could also equip Skewer). You get 20 ability slots and a certain amount of action points, each ability is worth a certain number of Action Points and once you reach the cap you can't equip any more abilities. It works almost exactly like Blue Mage from FFXI in that respect. SE has also said that certain abilities will jive better with certain classes than with others. Obviously Mage spells are going to be more effective with other mages, but it sounds like it may go a bit deeper than that. (the rest of this is random speculation btw) For instance, trying to skewer something with a giant axe might not work so hot in practice, while it might work fantastically with a pointy tipped weapon like a sword. Anyway, that's the job system in a nutshell so far.

Vacht

Quote Originally Posted by Battlecat View Post
    No, subjobs are an FFXI mechanic only. And since people seem to be having trouble comprehending this, or just refusing to actually read the wealth of information we already have:

Leveling multiple classes will still be important as you can use skills learned from them on other classes. Each class has specific abilities that only that class can use, but others are classed as Disciple of Magic or Disciple of War or both and can be used on any job once you've reached the same level with the second job (example: you level Lancer to 5 and learn Skewer, you then change to Marauder and when you get to level 5 on Marauder you could also equip Skewer). You get 20 ability slots and a certain amount of action points, each ability is worth a certain number of Action Points and once you reach the cap you can't equip any more abilities. It works almost exactly like Blue Mage from FFXI in that respect. SE has also said that certain abilities will jive better with certain classes than with others. Obviously Mage spells are going to be more effective with other mages, but it sounds like it may go a bit deeper than that. (the rest of this is random speculation btw) For instance, trying to skewer something with a giant axe might not work so hot in practice, while it might work fantastically with a pointy tipped weapon like a sword. Anyway, that's the job system in a nutshell so far.
    Ahh interesting! I havnt read a description that was that concise. This is going to be a really impressive MMO.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I noticed from the list of abilities that Cairthenn provided that Conjurer and Thaumaturge have spells that appear to be the same yet are named differently.

Conjurer: Reraise (Revives target on being KO'ed)
    Thaumaturge: Soulward (Allows target to instantaneously revive on being KO'ed)

Conjurer: Raise (Revives a KO'ed target)
    Thaumaturge: Resurrect (Revives a KO'ed target)

I'm wondering if the spells have different effects (shorter sickness for Raise or Resurrect) or if the timer on how long you have to take the res for Reraise or Soulward is different.

If they are the same and SE have just included them both to make it fit the "theme" of the magic types then that's a bit of a change too. In FFXI mages just had access to identical spells to varying degrees.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by meonline View Post
    A reraise that you can cast on people? Yes, please.

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I noticed from the list of abilities that Cairthenn provided that Conjurer and Thaumaturge have spells that appear to be the same yet are named differently.

I'm wondering if the spells have different effects (shorter sickness for Raise or Resurrect) or if the timer on how long you have to take the res for Reraise or Soulward is different.

If they are the same and SE have just included them both to make it fit the "theme" of the magic types then that's a bit of a change too. In FFXI mages just had access to identical spells to varying degrees.
    This is because of the way the classes are set up, I'd imagine. That is, at the moment anyways, there is no overlap. They'll probably just work the same.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

While I agree with Cair that to a degree, Raise and Resurrect are probably the same spell. I would be interested to know limitations, such as targetability of Reraise. I have a feeling Reraise is self only and Soulward will be something akin to soulstone in WoW. We could find out that Raise and Resurrect are as different as Raise and Battle Raise who knows.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Reminds me of Sleep, Repose, and Lullaby... Same effect, different names.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I don't know what Repose is, quit before that, but sleep and lullaby were definitely very different.

But yeah.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 155 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast