1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 12 hours, 21 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 11 hours, 38 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 5 hours, 21 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 4 hours, 38 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
    Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Azurewrath View Post
    I don't know what Repose is, quit before that, but sleep and lullaby were definitely very different.

But yeah.
    Oh so they gave very different effects? Apparently I've gotten this wrong for 6 years of FFXI playing... I could have sworn that all 3 of those spells put monsters to sleep. Would be awesome if you could correct me on what they actually do though, would greatly appreciate it.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I quit before Repose launched also, but lullaby used a different stat to determine effectiveness and affected undead, which Sleep didn't. This is not the same spell, though the effects are similar.

This is not like the situation where resurrect is theoretically just a renamed raise, unless resurrect also works differently, as niwaar supposes, as a battle raise.

[e] adjusted spell names.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraph Altima
    FFXIV Server
    Mateus
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Sleep affected undead, just not as well--it had a high resist rate.

Honestly, the only difference between Lullaby/Sleep is one is light/CHR based and one is dark/INT based. Same with Repose/Sleep II (with Repose being MND based).

Also, this doesn't have to do with FF14. Both reraise and soulward say "allows target to ____" so both could potentially be targeted on something other than the caster. Or potentially not.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I give up... I'm not arguing with people that don't even know how the spells they're arguing about work. My only point was that the 2 raises/reraises likely give the same end effect. How it gets there doesn't really matter.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Battlecat View Post
    I give up... I'm not arguing with people that don't even know how the spells they're arguing about work. My only point was that the 2 raises/reraises likely give the same end effect. How it gets there doesn't really matter.
    By your definition bind on a melee mob is the same as sleep/repose/lullaby.

While the end result is the same, the fact that sleep/lullaby affects different mobs in different ways makes them very different spells.

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Battlecat View Post
    More than likely but its a speculation/question thread so yeah, here's to hoping that one is a rez you can use inside battle. Eitherway, I am guessing it will be only be at an extreme level to Sub it in.

As for the Sleep/Repose/Lullaby thing ... Well Sleep was Dark based, and Repose/Lullaby was light based, where lullaby was not a spell at all.

I could guess that Resurrect and Raise could be the same spell, its not unheard of to flavor name for each class in an MMO.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    I don't think there will be mog house, Moogles did not even play a large role in any FF game in the enitre series, some games all they where used for is save point or hints in the credits of the game.
    I wish I could buy a "Tent" from a NPC and be able to use it in the Field. That would bring back some FF memories

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Jollipop View Post
    Hmm not really as there are no actual subjobs in 14 so it doesn't apply.

You only get to use what SE want you to, probably allowing your secondary skills to be the same level as your main ones.
    Semantics.

If its limited to a class then its also a trait, doesn't matter if its active or passive.
    You said that an ability that can't be used on any other class is really a trait. As in, the fact that it's exclusive to a class and cannot be used by anyone else is what defines it as a trait.

I just don't think there's any basis for saying a "trait" means an ability that can't be used with another class, considering you could use one job's defining traits (such as dual wield) on another job in FFXI by equipping a subjob, and there's a mechanism to fulfill the purpose of subjobs in FFXIV, as well. And traits, in the way we're used to using the term, aren't abilities you activate but rather things that kick in automatically. The definition of "trait" has never had anything to do with its exclusivity to a class. I think it's a bit more than just semantics.

Now, if you wanted to say instead that you think traits (in the traditional sense of the term, not "active abilities that are exclusive to a class") won't be able to be used on other classes, then that's fine. We haven't seen traits explicitly defined anywhere in our game menus yet, and we have no way to equip them. It's also possible not all abilities will be able to be transferred to other classes. But that doesn't make those particular abilities "traits".

Vacht

Quote Originally Posted by meonline View Post
    I noticed from the list of abilities that Cairthenn provided that Conjurer and Thaumaturge have spells that appear to be the same yet are named differently.

Conjurer: Reraise (Revives target on being KO'ed)
    Thaumaturge: Soulward (Allows target to instantaneously revive on being KO'ed)

Conjurer: Raise (Revives a KO'ed target)
    Thaumaturge: Resurrect (Revives a KO'ed target)

I'm wondering if the spells have different effects (shorter sickness for Raise or Resurrect) or if the timer on how long you have to take the res for Reraise or Soulward is different.

If they are the same and SE have just included them both to make it fit the "theme" of the magic types then that's a bit of a change too. In FFXI mages just had access to identical spells to varying degrees.
    Maybe they have different names for different classes because each class' ability will respond diffferently when equipped on another class. But then again, only factor that could dictate that method would be elements.. which isnt really addressing the difference in names. Maybe they would use different names for them just for that elemental interaction.

Superficial differences for a diverse playing 'experience'?

The last thing i can think of is that some of this could be bad translation? Resurrect is definitely just another way to say raise. Or something similar, considering this isnt 'direct' info from SE.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalisa View Post
    Sleep affected undead, just not as well--it had a high resist rate.

Honestly, the only difference between Lullaby/Sleep is one is light/CHR based and one is dark/INT based. Same with Repose/Sleep II (with Repose being MND based).

Also, this doesn't have to do with FF14. Both reraise and soulward say "allows target to ____" so both could potentially be targeted on something other than the caster. Or potentially not.
    After reading this it just makes me realize again... that we need all the facts! :/ i wish we were doing something more productive like testing!

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Thanks to Cairthenn looks like it's still on for tomorrow(tuesday). Thanks Cairthenn!

On topic: could the different spells mean 1 could be for DoM only while the other could be for DoW and DoM?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Bronzebeard

It's also possible not all abilities will be able to be transferred to other classes. But that doesn't make those particular abilities "traits".
    It kind of does, because its a trait to that class, no other class can use it, you can also say its an ability in that only that class can use but as I said before its semantics.

Don't think its worth arguing over though.

I don't think battle raise applies, you could cast reraise/raise during battle it just took a really long time and used a crazy amount of your mp.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Since this is all speculations anyway; anyone want to take a guess on how SE would eventually add pet jobs? I can see them inputting Pup in a way kind of easy with making the "doll" its weapon and equiping it like a weapon in the slot but any Idea how Se would pull Smn or Bst out of this weapon=job

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Bronzebeard

Quote Originally Posted by Merlincloud View Post
    Since this is all speculations anyway; anyone want to take a guess on how SE would eventually add pet jobs? I can see them inputting Pup in a way kind of easy with making the "doll" its weapon and equiping it like a weapon in the slot but any Idea how Se would pull Smn or Bst out of this weapon=job
    Different weapons for differents summons ?

Perhaps a tool like the camera from pankration where you take a monsters pic and can use it to fight with ?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Different weapons for differents summons ?

Perhaps a tool like the camera from pankration where you take a monsters pic and can use it to fight with ?
    or a paintbrush! Paintbrush/canvas combo!

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

There's nothing to say every classes weapon has to be unique. They could quite easily add any sort of weapon that makes you summoner like staves, wands or maybe even something new like books/tomes.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarax View Post
    There's nothing to say every classes weapon has to be unique. They could quite easily add any sort of weapon that makes you summoner like staves, wands or maybe even something new like books/tomes.
    Yep, it does look like many classes can share the same weapon type.

Fencers seem to use Rapiers for example, so there would be room for "curved blades" class too.

Summoners could use "Summoner arms" like conjurers and thaumaturges use their respective arms. It looks like it's not as strict as with melee classes.

BST's can use single handed axes.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

On that note of odd weapons Ive always been a fan of the Morpher job in FFTA I always thought it neat to capture a monster then use its soul to change into that monster; if this could be done in 14 would anyone mind this being the new BST? It could use "orbs" and have a capture ability and then learn that spell it would be like the combo of bst and blu all in one

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kargath

On that note of odd weapons Ive always been a fan of the Morpher job in FFTA I always thought it neat to capture a monster then use its soul to change into that monster; if this could be done in 14 would anyone mind this being the new BST? It could use "orbs" and have a capture ability and then learn that spell it would be like the combo of bst and blu all in one
    I could get into this idea, seeing as there were alot of areas in ff11 with less than stellar monster types that would be used as pets when leveling. But there would be times i would be sad that i could send a pet in just to watch it die, or send an army of pets in to kill a particularly high level / tough monster.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Posting to re-point out that we now have a sticky with the Alpha/Beta announcement/times here:

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92159

Please stop asking questions on when the next Alpha is in this thread.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

It kind of does, because its a trait to that class, no other class can use it, you can also say its an ability in that only that class can use but as I said before its semantics.
    Semantics.

If its limited to a class then its also a trait, doesn't matter if its active or passive.
    In FFXI, Job Traits are passive traits, whether they were exclusive to certain jobs or not doesn't matter and is not in the definition of a job trait.

The argument was whether FFXIV classes would end getting FFXI-like Job Traits or not, not whether weapons would have exclusive things or not. At some point people started exchanging Job Traits with traits, and that's where the confusion began.

Will classes have exclusive active abilities and hidden traits? For sure, some have already been confirmed.

Will classes also have Job Traits like in XI ? (Fast Cast, Conserve MP, Zanshin, etc) We don't know, and that was the argument.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast