well this one kind of counts, although it was mostly about Whedon
    http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91227

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

He better have a helmet

Concept art but still. Helmet.

Looking good so far...I must say. And yeah, the helmet better be in there. At least in the fighthing scenes or something.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Okay...how is this going to fit into the film universe Iron Man and the Hulk has so far created?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    Okay...how is this going to fit into the film universe Iron Man and the Hulk has so far created?
    I think that would give away the ending of the movie if it were known now?

If it's like the comics, Odin banishes Thor to midgard(human/mortal realm) for being too arrogant. He gets imprisoned in the body of a crippled medical student named Donald Blake.

Who knows if they will do all that as having to change forms all the time might be tedious.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Delirium View Post

If it's like the comics, Odin banishes Thor to midgard(human/mortal realm) for being too arrogant. He gets imprisoned in the body of a crippled medical student named Donald Blake.

Who knows if they will do all that as having to change forms all the time might be tedious.
    What I mean is that the world portrayed in the movies so far is realistic and based heavily in science and technology. Can the concept of ancient gods and magic work with what is already present?

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Can the concept of ancient gods and magic work with what is already present?
    Did in the comics, I think the biggest obstacle is how they are going to sell this to new audiences. Just like any movie, they cant expect to have a noobie walk in and expect to know thing. I'm sure there will be a lot of prelude, as they did in IM.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

why not? the whole point of magic is that its fucking magical, it doesn't conform to natural laws. just because it hasn't been seen in the movies yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist in that universe.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    why not? the whole point of magic is that its fucking magical, it doesn't conform to natural laws. just because it hasn't been seen in the movies yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist in that universe.
    While this is true, what I am worried about is that IM, Hulk, and Capt. America (persumably) take place in our world and uses our natural laws. They hasn't been a hint of magic yet or of the gods. It may be difficult to make the concepts of magic and ancient gods seem less hooky and able to fit into the overall storyline they are creating. Not saying it can't be done but the challenge will be to make Thor feel 'real' in this universe and not lose his place in this exciting canon.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

What I mean is that the world portrayed in the movies so far is realistic and based heavily in science and technology. Can the concept of ancient gods and magic work with what is already present?
    Make it be from unknown origins and have some scientists say its from aliens and some guy jokes that its from the gods.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You're worried that norse gods are unrealistic in a universe with a guy in a super robot suit & another guy that turns green when he rages? lol

you wanna know how they'll do it?

magnets. ... no one knows how they work.

which would tie in perfectly with the hulk, a scientist, who gets pissed.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by grantlogan View Post
    You're worried that norse gods are unrealistic in a universe with a guy in a super robot suit & another guy that turns green when he rages? lol
    Super robot suits and genetic engineering aren't unrealistic though (well surviving gamma radiation and such may be...). I am not trying to say it can't work (and I do have faith it will) but looking at the three movies so far, we have a theme of humans overcoming their own shortcomings through their own efforts (as TS and Banner did). Tony Stark is a real person. Banner is a real person. How gods and magical artifacts like Mjolnir will fit in and keep the entire Avenger arc 'down to earth' will be the challenge.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I understood what you meant. Marvel has said Thor will be in present time at the end of the movie, so they will fit it in however they choose to.

Whether or not you believe their explanation is a totally different question.

Now I've heard rumors of Skrulls as the villains in the avengers. That is a whole different topic though, I suppose lol.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Toth be trollin'

How can you even consider "realism" of comic book based movies and parallel it to our world? The whole point is fantasy.

@Delirium; I thought skrulls were the nemesises(sp?) of Fantastic Four, not Avengers.

Skrulls (primarily Super Skrull) were introduced as a Fantastic Four opponent who posed a global threat but have since been seen in most/all perspectives of Marvel's heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Delirium View Post

They'll probably go the Ultimate Thor route and just have him be buff super-dude all the time. Possibly with the "is he a god or just plain crazy?" stuff thrown in.

There's been hints of magic before: the whole Ten Rings terrorist stuff in Iron Man 1 is a clear Mandarin reference.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
    Toth be trollin'

How can you even consider "realism" of comic book based movies and parallel it to our world? The whole point is fantasy.

@Delirium; I thought skrulls were the nemesises(sp?) of Fantastic Four, not Avengers.
    Iron Man and Hulk have both presented plausible reasons for their origins and have mirrored events in our world to make it more believable.

Most going into these movies expect fantasy but the screenwriters and directors have aimed for a "real" feel with these newer Marvel flicks. Theres a big difference between what we've seen so far and what Thor's origin story is.

To jump from stories grounded in fantasy science to a magic-themed story would not mesh well with the current movie universe built up. It would be a legitimate concern I imagine when they decided to take this movie on.

They'll probably go the Ultimate Thor route and just have him be buff super-dude all the time. Possibly with the "is he a god or just plain crazy?" stuff thrown in.

There's been hints of magic before: the whole Ten Rings terrorist stuff in Iron Man 1 is a clear Mandarin reference.
    Ah, Ive never read Ultimate Thor but that was one way I thought of them avoiding bogging the movie universe down in too much magic. That would be the idea that everyone thinks he's some crazy mutant or something but having us see the magical side from Thor's perspective when others aren't around.

Obviously eventually the people that matter would realize that he isn't crazy at all and so the movie universe remains believable.

About Mandarin: I think personally the whole reason they avoided him for IM2 was to avoid having to deal with the whole magic bit. Whiplash comes off as more believable and a more human threat to a Tony Stark they are trying damn hard to make believable.

I hope he appears in IM3 though.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    Iron Man and Hulk have both presented plausible reasons for their origins and have mirrored events in our world to make it more believable.

Most going into these movies expect fantasy but the screenwriters and directors have aimed for a "real" feel with these newer Marvel flicks. Theres a big difference between what we've seen so far and what Thor's origin story is.

To jump from stories grounded in fantasy science to a magic-themed story would not mesh well with the current movie universe built up. It would be a legitimate concern I imagine when they decided to take this movie on.

Ah, Ive never read Ultimate Thor but that was one way I thought of them avoiding bogging the movie universe down in too much magic. That would be the idea that everyone thinks he's some crazy mutant or something but having us see the magical side from Thor's perspective when others aren't around.

Obviously eventually the people that matter would realize that he isn't crazy at all and so the movie universe remains believable.

About Mandarin: I think personally the whole reason they avoided him for IM2 was to avoid having to deal with the whole magic bit. Whiplash comes off as more believable and a more human threat to a Tony Stark they are trying damn hard to make believable.

I hope he appears in IM3 though.
    Thank you Ronin. My point exactly. I knew I wasn't trolling