+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Maybe the movies can have an ending that isn't fucking garbage.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    Maybe the movies can have an ending that isn't fucking garbage.
    QFT

I forgot to mention this earlier but even if they make an awesomewtfbbq trilogy out of it, I won't watch the last one cause I'm not willing to pay for damages I will do to the theatre screen when the ending happens. I think I broke a lamp throwing the book.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Hey, you were warned before reading the ending... didn't stop me either, but the warning was there.

Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla were actually my favorite of the books. To condense it to 3 movies, I can't imagine them keeping much of Wizard since it's a giant flashback. But that book is huge in developing Roland as he's pretty much already awesome by the time the series begins. Wolves could also be cut since most of that stuff isn't all that crucial, it was just enjoyable (at least for me) to read.

Spoiler: show
    Wonder how they'd handle Roland and Susanah having sex with the demon or w/e and her giving birth since they can't just cut Mordred out.. (well, I guess they could, but that'd be retarded >.> <.<)

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

be careful of spoilers btw

And ya he warned, but at the same time he also kept stating that he was just "writing" as his mood took him and that he didn't know what the ending would technically be until he got there (hence so many rewrites of the previous books). So I had hope, I had hope!

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

spoilers

The ending was a piece of shit, but it was completely expected seeing as how after the third book the whole series was a joke

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I guess I'm weird in that I liked the ending. What I didn't like was:

the conflict with the Crimson King with the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

right before the end. Everything after the "You Might Not Want to Continue" disclaimer, I liked. Although I was genuinely tempted to put the book down and never finish it, I ended up reading it. I think the disclaimer might have helped lower my expectations, perhaps, but I thought it was a fitting end. The story is about the journey to the Dark Tower, not the Dark Tower itself.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post

right before the end. Everything after the "You Might Not Want to Continue" disclaimer, I liked. Although I was genuinely tempted to put the book down and never finish it, I ended up reading it. I think the disclaimer might have helped lower my expectations, perhaps, but I thought it was a fitting end. The story is about the journey to the Dark Tower, not the Dark Tower itself.
    see to me there are two things that pissed me off about the ending. As you said yourself the story is about the journey, and it just really irritated me that the journey was basically pointless. That nothing he did or said or all the hardships mattered because it was just going to keep happening over and over again.

Other reason is that it was too "Stephen King" to me. Sounds weird I know, but the whole book (while still his writing style) was very unique to the other stories he told, even if some of them were put into the book. And when I read it it almost seemed like he just couldn't break away from himself. Really hard for me to put into words, but that's basically the gist of it

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    Stephen King himself references the lotr books in the intro to the novels (the later released versions) I can definitely see similarities, but I think Dark Tower is a much better written overall story and more enjoyable.

Also; Abrhams did buy the rights to the series from King for 19 bucks. He decided that it would be too big of an undertaking for anyone to do, and didn't want to do it any injustice. I'd rather see this as a weekly TV series than a movie trilogy. It would be butchered. At least with a TV series, it could run for a number of seasons rather than a condensed 3 movie version. I doubt we'll see anything any time soon though.
    Ya, it would be perfect on HBO over 3-4 years rather than 3 movies over 5-6 years. I really hope this doesn't come out as a movie.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Havok Stormblood
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    see to me there are two things that pissed me off about the ending. As you said yourself the story is about the journey, and it just really irritated me that the journey was basically pointless. That nothing he did or said or all the hardships mattered because it was just going to keep happening over and over again.

Other reason is that it was too "Stephen King" to me. Sounds weird I know, but the whole book (while still his writing style) was very unique to the other stories he told, even if some of them were put into the book. And when I read it it almost seemed like he just couldn't break away from himself. Really hard for me to put into words, but that's basically the gist of it
    When his journey starts over at the end, he now carries the (i think it's a horn? been a while) that had been destroyed in the last battle of gilead previously. I think it's supposed to show that things actually are changing, and he IS making progress...and maybe eventually he will succeed. It's not the same exact thing over and over endlessly, at least.

Anyway, I'd love movies of the series, but I also don't see how it can be fit into 3 without cutting out way too much Even the LotR movies had to cut out some important things. How much longer is the Dark Tower series? 3 times as long?

I'd Rather Be in Zi'Tah
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaelie Niie
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

The books are good, but it takes a visionary mind to turn such a series into a really good set of movies. I for one would rather just keep the books pristine. I don't need a hack like Ron Howard or whoever eventually takes his place to take the books and ruin it.

And yes ... if you are going to make movies of this series for the love of god plan on doing the Harry Potter treatment and actually make them all and not pick and choose and ruin everything.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post

You're not alone in liking the ending. I thought it was fitting.

spoilers obv.

Sure a lot of people call the ending a "cop out" way to end the entire epic series. I don't look at it that way. Actually after I read the discliamer, I seriously contemplated it. I ended up turning the page. I was in complete shock (in a good way) with what happened in the following pages. How would you have preferred it to end? Roland living happily ever after in a magical door that transported him to a door where in Susan hadn't died? Or he had a chance to save her? Him giving up on the quest and the multiverse imploding? Fuck that. That would have been an even bigger cop out. I think the ending was extremely fitting, and very "Stephen King" like

The events in Wizard & Glass (one of my favorites) then in the past are what shaped Roland into who he was. Sure he was a hard ass before in Gilead, but everything that happened after he left and when he came back really defined who he was. How anyone can call book 4 a piece of shit I seriously question. So after the whole ordeal in the series, and Roland I guess caring or bonding more with his Ka-tet than ever before, and him having the Horn of Eld as he crosses the desert again gives him that shot at redemption until he actually gives it up at a point where they all (his Ka-tet) don't have to die.

I love the series as a whole, but I will agree that about Half of Wolves of the Calla had me sleeping. All the stuff with Father Callahan sucked. I struggled to get through it. Song of Susannah I enjoyed. It wasn't too short and not too long. Lastly, The Dark Tower is honestly one of my favorite books of all time. Love everything in it.

That's my opinion anyway, people are entitled to hate it.

Also another great Stephen King book (co written by Peter Straub) is The Talisman & The Black House. I've been hearing rumors for a Talisman TV series for years now, and would love to see it. Any fans of those books here?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

How the fuck are you supposed to do the ending in a movie? "Excuse me everyone movies over... but if you really want to know what happens stay for an optional extra scene!" Inc happy ending that totally ruins the value and impact of the series.

Seriously though... Before I picked up a copy of Wizard and Glass in of all places, a guard shack at the front gate of a Marine Corps base. I didnt really have an interest in reading anything by Stephen King. After reading it I bought the first 3 books and read them and patiently awaited the final 3 novels. If you havent read this series and you love great series, then do yourself a favor. Dont click on any of the spoilers, and go out immediately and buy all 7 books and read them.

When it comes to movies based off of my favorite comic characters, as long they retain the values of the characters I dont care about minor continuity changes. In dark tower, if they drop some things to make it shorter but dont lose the value and weight of the story thats great, but the ending... you cant just drop it or change it without fucking up the entire thing. I do not have faith that this is a book that can be made into a film properly. Maybe ill be pleasantly surprised though.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

My hatred of the ending started long before the "you better not read this because it's awful and I know it but I'm stephen king and must indulge my ego" warning.

Tagus

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    You're not alone in liking the ending. I thought it was fitting.

I liked the ending alot as well! As far as making it all into a movie goes, it's hard to really understand how they could fit so much into three movies and make it work, but LOTR definitely showed us that it is possible. I could ramble on for quite awhile about what I think should be left in/cut out, but instead I'll just say that I'm going to embrace the effort and hope that in the end it does the books justice. It might be fanboyish, but fuck it. If the movies suck I'll just bury them in the murky depths of my memory next to the rotting corpse of Jar-Jar.

desolation yes hesitation no
    Bait of the House of Weave

BG Level

I guess I am the only person who really enjoyed the ending.

And I am of the thought that a TV series for books 1-6 and then a movie for book 7 would be better.
    Too much of what makes Roland, Roland would be lost in 3 movies. And if you are a fan of the books the comics add a lot to the story after Wizards.

I liked how it insinuated that each time Roland made it to the Dark Tower that he was able to change at least 1 thing that had been wrong before. When he opens the door and is in the desert again, he has the Horn of Eld that was lost in the battle of Jericho Hill.

Who knows how bad the first journey was, and who knows how well it will go the millionth time, and maybe at some point it reaches a 'perfect' time and he is allowed to die or go to his paradise, because he's already been through hell.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I only read the first book...

But I can imagine that it would be a pretty sweet movie on its own if done right. It wouldn't have a satisfying ending, though.

THIS IS NOT LIVEJOURNAL DOT COM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Detheroc

It took me a long long time to appreciate Wizard and Glass. The first read-through was tough, I was more concerned in continuing the main plot and suddenly I had to read all this backstory that at the time I really couldn't care about. A few years later after I finished the series I went back and re-read WnG, and I think it's now one of my favorite of the 7.

I still can't imagine trying to squeeze the whole series into 3 movies.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

i will fucking rage if they cut any of wizard and glass. before i read the series all i heard was that wizard and glass was the worst of them, i fucking loved that shit. cuthbert in the motherfucking HOUSE. big coffin hunters all up in yo area.

Black Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amiricle Mihgo
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    i will fucking rage if they cut any of wizard and glass. before i read the series all i heard was that wizard and glass was the worst of them, i fucking loved that shit. cuthbert in the motherfucking HOUSE. big coffin hunters all up in yo area.
    My guess is that they'd butcher it and squash that book into some 5-10 minute flashback scene. >.>;

In any case these movies will either be awesome or complete shit. Would need a fantastic director with a lot of power and a love of the series himself. No way any movie studio would be happy having the movies end the way the first/last books do.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

If they're going to cut anything, I think most of Wolves of Calla can be cut. Its been a while since I've read the books, but I remember buying that one and it just kept going on and on and on and had a bad conclusion. I liked the flashback in Wizard and Glass, but I think it wouldn't be very good in a trilogy.

Honestly, I don't know much about Stephen King, even though I've read a lot of his books (mostly 'cause I get them as presents). I guess I'll look into him around the time
    he meets Roland in the last book. Also, it seems like he started killing people off towards the end just to do it. I think the way Jake went out was really lame.
    . I think, and I might be a little off, but the movies could be split between books 1, 2-4, and 5-7. I don't know if The Gunslinger has enough content for a movie, but it might turn people off if it jumps into the details of gathering people without much of what Roland is.