+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    okay guy I guess
    BG Level

wiki mentioned he was thinking about it a while back, but it's good to have confirmation

House Azazael
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I had heard he is thinking about 3 more 'bridge the gap' type books. I am happy with at least one

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Tagus

Javier Bardem, eh? I think I can live with that. He seems to have a darker side in comparison to Viggo or some others that may add some real depth to the character. Talking out of my ass a bit there, but it seems apt. The tougher parts for him unfortunately would be to pull off scenes that are among my favorites. For example, the whole Wizard & Glass flashback was among my favorite stories of all time across any genre, and I can't really picture Bardem as a young lovestruck cowpoke-type fighting to save his friends. They really won't be able to exclude that part of the story without taking away from Roland's epic life (and disappointing the shit out of alot of people), so it's going to be amazing to see how they pull it off.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I really like Javier Bardem. I only have one qualm. Roland is a thin but hardened. Every bit of him is muscle. Javier's build is a little big, I think. Unless he plans on losing some weight.

As far as Wizard & Glass goes, I would assume they would be using a younger actor, as I think Roland was 15 at the time. Part of me really wants to see how they bring this series to life, but the other part of me is dreading it.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

I'm honestly holding my tongue (or trying to very hard..). Part of me is very skeptical of their ability to properly translate this series, but if they do, I see it being even more amazing than even the Lord of the Rings trilogy..

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Come on Universal! How could you pass on such a brilliantly epic idea!? As you know Ron Howard, Brian Grazer and Akiva Goldsman have been hard at work developing an incredible adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower book series. The plan was to turn the series into a series of three films and two TV seasons. Javier Bardem was also set to play Roland Deschain in the films and series. I knew this was going to happen, especially after Universal cut back on the budget.

For some reason this studio lacks the balls to actually move forward with awesome high profile properties. They have a track record for killing off potentially epic film properties. In the past they've passed on both Halo, At the Mountain of Madness and Bioshock. I'm honestly pretty upset about this because the way they have planned out this film series was perfect, and there's no doubt the studio would have made a ton of money off of it.

According to Deadline " the studio reviewed Goldsman's script for the first film and the first leg of the TV series, and would only commit to the single film. That wasn't good enough for the filmmakers, who had already hired comic book and Heroes and Battlestar Galactica writer/producer Mark Verheiden to co-write the TV component with Goldsman, which was to be made for NBC Universal Television (studio insiders deny that the studio was only willing to make the movie and not the series)." There's no word on why Universal ultimately decided not to move forward.

So what is Howard and the gang going to do? Production will shut down, and they will shop it around to other film studios of course. Hopefully they will find other financial backing. Studios should be jumping at the chance to take on a project like this, it would be huge, and I'd love for Universal Pictures to kick themselves in the ass for passing on it because of all the money that it will end up making. There is a possibility that the project will end up over at Warner Bros. who is currently financing the Two Hobbit films for Peter Jackson. This is were Goldman's production company Weed Road is located.
    http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/7/18...-universa.html
    http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/univ...and-tv-series/

House Azazael
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

words cannot express how upset this makes me.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

THATS SOME BULL SHIT

ron howard is so fucking boring though

give it to someone else for the love of god

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Stephen King weighs in. I'd rather see it done right by someone who appreciates the source material rather than something haphazardly slapped together to make a buck or three.

I really think a pure TV series might work better for this, rather than trying to do some combination of movies & TV.

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

They are holding out for Dameon and J.J to take it over. With a little help by the Nolans.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Considering how I was torn (or I guess thought I was) on this project, this is pretty depressing news..

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

and a billion fucks were given that day. this shit needs to be picked up asap.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The Dark Tower is going to HBO?

If it's anything like Game of Thrones, this sounds like a money idea to me.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

If HBO will air the show they need to drop the movie + show idea and just do a couple seasons long show. shit would be moooooooney

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If it is on HBO, Odetta's dialogue would be untouched. :D

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Fryte View Post
    If it is on HBO, Odetta's dialogue would be untouched. :D
    Hell yeah! I don't have HBO but I love this idea! And there are so many novelas and short stories surrounding The Dark Tower I think with great writers/producers this could easily be 5+ seasons.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Mikus View Post
    Hell yeah! I don't have HBO but I love this idea! And there are so many novelas and short stories surrounding The Dark Tower I think with great writers/producers this could easily be 5+ seasons.
    Not to mention the new novel coming out in April. Although this one seems like it's more about Roland's early days (post-Hambry, pre-Fall of Gilead), so it would be hard to do as part on one storyline with the same actor.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Not to mention the new novel coming out in April. Although this one seems like it's more about Roland's early days (post-Hambry, pre-Fall of Gilead), so it would be hard to do as part on one storyline with the same actor.
    omg i didnt even know about this. i hope its mad good and has lots of cuthbert

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast