+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya View Post
    It is hypocrisy, there really is no way to skirt around the issue.
    I find this to be a sexist statement.

Also, notrly

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Acturus View Post
    So, I googled the name, found another picture... Looks like the Myspace angle strikes again!

http://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploa...myBeckToga.jpg
    lol

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

This thread is gay agenda

Ridill
    BG Level

These rest on two very large assumptions about the nature of gender differences that are at their core sexist, much as people hate that word.
    Sure, it's sexism. Biologically natural, scientifically supported, socially nurtured, sexism.

As to the gay issue, that may be the case... with gay kids. Most kids, particularly ones we would call "victims", weren't exactly seeking out all the gay buttsecks they could get at the time.

BG Level

One could contend, that these gay pedos only seek out other gays as they can detect their female gay brains.

BG Level

Otherwise, i sure hope these gay pedos aren't going after our straight children.

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

It is a double standard, and I don't think you can really dismiss it. Going on the responses in this thread and the logic of this post we can break it down this way:

Guys in these relationships just want sex and are not affected by the relationship, therefore it's ok.

Girls in these relationships are coerced or are dumb enough to be convinced and don't really want sex, therefore it is bad.

These rest on two very large assumptions about the nature of gender differences that are at their core sexist, much as people hate that word.

Neither my view nor the view of people in this thread take into account the immense complexity of these sorts of relationships. There's the potential for all kinds of shit to be going on in both parties involved, no matter if it's an older woman or an older man, hetero or homosexual. These kind of relationships are frowned on for exactly this reason. Typically, the older person in the relationship is exercising a lot of power over the younger person, which is often emotionally damaging or even abusive, and the potential consequences are dire. This is not an issue of maturity, it's an issue of statistics.

If we're to take the argument of maturity and desire seriously, then it should be ok for a girl to have sex with an older man, as long as she's emotionally mature and sex is what she wants. But it's clear from the responses here that people do not actually allow women to have that exception that is so readily given to men. It is only OK for boys to have sex with older women, because we can safely assume that they only want sex because after all, men are the promiscuous gender right? I think I pointed out earlier that this assumption is faulty because girls want sex just as much as guys do on average, and this conception of them as sexually neutral beings is just wrong and, yes, sexist. I am not trying to argue about the nature of the relationships here, but rather the justifications some have given for why some are wrong and some aren't based purely on the genders of the people involved. Read that last sentence again, that's the important one.

This also raises the original question of why an older man with a younger boy is automatically a bad gross thing when you are talking about essentially the same dynamic. The boy just wants sex, so why is it a problem? After all, men are just like that, right? It's fascinating to me how the moment you change something so arbitrary as the gender of the older person, suddenly the assumptions made about the nature of the relationship pull a total 180.
    Well stated. The views of the situation really DO turn 180 depending on the gender. Even so, I'm still hesitant to call it a "double standard". After all, the difference between the genders is really not a small one and, as such, may actually constitute a different standard. Apples and oranges, and all that.

The subject of how men should treat and perceive women is one that continues to confuse the ever living hell out of many American men to this day. One thing I know for sure, women do NOT want us to treat them as we would another man. If a woman hits me, I'm expected to just take it. If I don't hold a door open or help a woman carry something heavy, I'm met with scowls and possibly comments about my lack of chivalry. If I tell a dirty joke in the presence of woman, I'm liable to get sued.

At the same time, if I'm protective of women as my instincts direct me to be, then I'm told off and called sexist. What's worse is that it seems that women themselves can't decide how they'd rather be treated. One second we're supposed to pamper them, the next, we're being yelled out for trying to solve all of their problems. I swear it changes more frequently than the weather. I think a lot of men get tired of the balancing act and just choose one side or the other and refuse to budge. Some go completely alpha and revert back to sexism and control, while some become whipped yes-men.

Point being, we probably WOULD treat the situation differently if it were a girl with a male teacher. Reason being, we still have no goddamn clue how women, as a whole, want to be treated. As such, we're likely to go with our first instinct, which is overprotective mode (if we empathize at all, of course).

A thought experiment:

You have a women's public restroom slightly crowded. We'll say over half full with several women at the sinks and whatnot. A man walks in and walks directly into a stall and closes the door. He's sober and obviously a man. What do you think is going to be the reaction of the women?

Now

Same scenario but in the Men's restroom with a woman walking to a stall. How will men react?

Ridill
    BG Level

black guys give me dirty looks when I hold a door for them ; ;

A thought experiment:

You have a women's public restroom slightly crowded. We'll say over half full with several women at the sinks and whatnot. A man walks in and walks directly into a stall and closes the door. He's sober and obviously a man. What do you think is going to be the reaction of the women?

Now

Same scenario but in the Men's restroom with a woman walking to a stall. How will men react?
    Somewhat similar experience.

I'm new working at a Kmart, I need to go the restroom. Ask coworker if there's an employee's restroom. "Yeah, there's one by the pubbies." Okay, cool, I go, find it, settle in and do my thing to come out and see a girl in there. I'm kind of all red-faced and get out, only to be later told that I shouldn't be in the girl's employee restroom as the woman told a boss. Apparently there wasn't one for males.

Honest mistake on coworkers part? Did I get played? Kmart being sexist? Nothing really came of it, far as I know, but obviously the girl took offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    black guys give me dirty looks when I hold a door for them ; ;
    I hold the door for pretty much anyone, and lots of the time men will absolutely refuse to walk through the door - it really is quite funny.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    you have a point, but I think this says more about society's attitudes towards homosexuality than it does the actual circumstance of gay adult/teen sex. the stigma and pressure can be too much for a young gay mind to deal with at that age. if gays were just as accepted as straights, I don't think this would be a problem.
    I don't recall, um, ever where the boy molested by his priest/little league coach/uncle was like "well it was consensual, oh by the way I'm gay".

What gay adult/teen sex cases are we referring to here?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    I hold the door for pretty much anyone, and lots of the time men will absolutely refuse to walk through the door - it really is quite funny.
    That's odd. Never had an experience like that in PA. Must be some insecure dudes where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelorn View Post
    That's odd. Never had an experience like that in PA. Must be some insecure dudes where you live.
    I do live in the south

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    I don't recall, um, ever where the boy molested by his priest/little league coach/uncle was like "well it was consensual, oh by the way I'm gay".

What gay adult/teen sex cases are we referring to here?
    Kid was probably a faggot