Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The damn thing won't be here until 17th. Want now.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Awesome summer movie

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Makwa Ironwill
    FFXIV Server
    Brynhildr
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Was great, the kids were entertaining as all hell, reminded me of the Goonies, or other older movies I'd watch as a kid. Definitely gonna buy this.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Just got home from checking this out. Thought it was really good. It was more about the kids experience of this whole thing rather than the alien itself. The kids acting was really good too. Surprised me. Also stick around for 30~ seconds or so after. There's a bonus.

IMO the train wreck scene alone was worth the price of admission. Fucking incredible.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post

IMO the train wreck scene alone was worth the price of admission. Fucking incredible.
    Fantastic movie, may actually go see it again. Also totally agree with what Odesseiron said, that scene was intense.

Edit: See it in imax

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Pretty good. I wouldn't say great, but worth seeing.

The kids were great actors, their chemistry was perfect, and they were written pretty well. However,
    Spoiler: show
    I think it was weird to see the romance between Joe and Alice be so... oddly grown-up, in a way. Yeah, they only end up holding hands, but what "couple" at that age are teaching each other life lessons and shit, having those meaningful moments all the time? Even so, didn't bother me much, and I did end up enjoying that dynamic between the two.

The train wreck scene was badass.

My main gripe would be that the crescendo-climax ratio felt off. It ended fairly abruptly, and I would have liked to see more of how the town dealt with the abuse by the Air Force, how those two dads reconciled more, etc.
    The whole ET / Close Encounters feel of the ending was nice, but kinda felt out of place given the severity of the rest of the film.

But all in all, a very nice homage to Spielberg's work, and such an excellent display of good kid actors.

Am I the only one that felt terrible for finding the girl kinda hot, she's fucking 13

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Xajii View Post
    Pretty good. I wouldn't say great, but worth seeing.

The kids were great actors, their chemistry was perfect, and they were written pretty well. However,
    I think it was weird to see the romance between Joe and Alice be so... oddly grown-up, in a way. Yeah, they only end up holding hands, but what "couple" at that age are teaching each other life lessons and shit, having those meaningful moments all the time? Even so, didn't bother me much, and I did end up enjoying that dynamic between the two.

The train wreck scene was badass.

My main gripe would be that the crescendo-climax ratio felt off. It ended fairly abruptly, and I would have liked to see more of how the town dealt with the abuse by the Air Force, how those two dads reconciled more, etc.
    The whole ET / Close Encounters feel of the ending was nice, but kinda felt out of place given the severity of the rest of the film.

But all in all, a very nice homage to Spielberg's work, and such an excellent display of good kid actors.

Am I the only one that felt terrible for finding the girl kinda hot, she's fucking 13
    some things you shouldn't openly admit

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie I think it's a must see in theatres. I didn't stay around for the bonus during the creds, I had to potty ;(

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    Just got home from checking this out. Thought it was really good. It was more about the kids experience of this whole thing rather than the alien itself. The kids acting was really good too. Surprised me. Also stick around for 30~ seconds or so after. There's a bonus.

What was the bonus? Totally missed it as we tried to leave before the crowd.

The movie was more about the kids and their adventure and what they did during the events, the parents even the 2 fathers were mere secondary characters and weren't fleshed out very much. The children though were really good.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Extra was a full viewing of the movie the kids made.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

The kids movie > Super 8 rly.

Living Dead reference and corny model train explosion > real train collision

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    What was the bonus? Totally missed it as we tried to leave before the crowd.
    oh god now you have to pirate the film just to watch the ending credits bonus. Shit really paid off after a rather abrupt-feeling ending.

The movie was more about the kids and their adventure and what they did during the events, the parents even the 2 fathers were mere secondary characters and weren't fleshed out very much. The children though were really good.
    This this a thousand times this. This is The Goonies, 25 years worth of film advances later. The people I hear getting disappointed by the flick were those expecting more sci-fi elements, and the opaque advertising/promotion campaign did not manage expectations very well.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm glad they had the zombie movie at the credits because it totally alleviated the ending of the movie, I was so choked up lol.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by grantlogan View Post
    I'm glad they had the zombie movie at the credits because it totally alleviated the ending of the movie, I was so choked up lol.
    What the fuck was tear jerking about the ending? Even with Michael Giacchino putting out a boss tier score it wasn't in the least bit sad.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Just saw it. I thought it was pretty good. but
    I hate it when they make characters be all comicy during serious parts of the movies. I understand they wanna lighten the mood or whatever but the fat kid yelling or being goofy when explosions are going off in the background is just kind of facepalmy for me... it didn't really ruin the movie for me or anything though

Saw it last night. The kids and their adventures were pretty good, definitely good acting for kids. Those parts felt like a real homage to Spielberg and the extra ending part was awesome. Loved the little shout out to Romero. But then there was the actual ending.

The kid tells the alien to leave since it doesn't want to be there.... so it just does. Which made it seem to me it could have left almost any time it wanted to, turning into more of a dumb ET/Cloverfield/Frankenstein (misunderstood monster part) hybrid than something you're sposed to sympathize with by the end of the movie. It was an annoyance until the characters that needed to bond or w/e did so and then it left.

Also, the alien taking the kid's locket of his mother to finish his ship was a bit confusing. I gather it's sposed to be symbolic of the kid letting his mother go... but the kid didn't seem to be having any big issue related with the mother's death the entire movie. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it just seemed thrown in to tug at heart strings for no apparent reason.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Havocxx View Post

The kid tells the alien to leave since it doesn't want to be there.... so it just does. Which made it seem to me it could have left almost any time it wanted to, turning into more of a dumb ET/Cloverfield/Frankenstein (misunderstood monster part) hybrid than something you're sposed to sympathize with by the end of the movie. It was an annoyance until the characters that needed to bond or w/e did so and then it left.
    The monster wasn't ready to leave before he killed Col. Nelec for doing this to him, which he did like 2-3 scenes earlier, the kid helped him get over that + showed him that not all humans are apriori evil and theyd let him go home. Also, notice that the only dead victim of the monster that is shown on camera is Nelec, so in my mind I did sympathize with him once we knew the truth.

Also, the alien taking the kid's locket of his mother to finish his ship was a bit confusing. I gather it's sposed to be symbolic of the kid letting his mother go... but the kid didn't seem to be having any big issue related with the mother's death the entire movie. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it just seemed thrown in to tug at heart strings for no apparent reason.
    Are you kidding me? The alien takes the locket because the construction of his ship is putting out a magnetic field so according to movie physics the locket gets pulled in. And for fucks sake the movie starts with the mother's death, it colors his relationship with his father, with his friends, and with the pedo jailbait girl. The protagonist bringing himself and the two dads to terms with the moms death is as much a central element of the story as the adventure the kids have.

Quote Originally Posted by ZarakiKujata View Post
    The monster wasn't ready to leave before he killed Col. Nelec for doing this to him, which he did like 2-3 scenes earlier, the kid helped him get over that + showed him that not all humans are apriori evil and theyd let him go home. Also, notice that the only dead victim of the monster that is shown on camera is Nelec, so in my mind I did sympathize with him once we knew the truth.
    I'll buy the needing to kill the Col. but the alien had psychic contact with at least 2 humans before mainboy we'd consider good; the girl and Woodcock. Which is just nitpicking since obviously you'd want the main character to be the one interacting with the alien. The anti-climactic nature of it just made the alien's part feel wonky, more like the Rita of Dexter Season 4. There when you needed an obstacle, but not really doing anything that directly involved/impacted the MC's character progression till the end. Basically... just saying the ending was bad.

Are you kidding me? The alien takes the locket because the construction of his ship is putting out a magnetic field so according to movie physics the locket gets pulled in. And for fucks sake the movie starts with the mother's death, it colors his relationship with his father, with his friends, and with the pedo jailbait girl. The protagonist bringing himself and the two dads to terms with the moms death is as much a central element of the story as the adventure the kids have.
    Might be remembering wrong, but magnetic field's goin in full effect, takes everything, stops at 99% complete, then starts again to only take the locket. That it fit perfectly and went alone after everything else suggests the alien specifically targets it.

The mother's death affected the fathers and even jailbait more so than the kid. The relationship hang-ups are brought on by their feelings or awkwardness about it, not so much the main kid's. Having it be taken from the kid when the dad who visibly struggled with it far more right next to him just dampened the impact for me. Not saying the mother's death didn't affect the kid, just that the locket being taken felt more like a failed attempt at a tearjerker than the emotional moment it could have been.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

+

+

=

Movie was just ok but I had the feeling i'd seen this movie once before. The feeling really got strong in the subterranean scene.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox View Post

Movie was just ok but I had the feeling i'd seen this movie once before. The feeling really got strong in the subterranean scene.
    That reminds me. The novel "It" was released in 1985. According to the book, Pennywise is on a cycle, showing up every 27 years. I'm very curious if Stephen King has something in the works for 2012.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I saw this today, I thought it was mint.