+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buying a Bed in NYC     submit to reddit submit to twitter

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Buying a Bed in NYC

I'm looking to do serious mattress shopping for the first time in my life, and was looking for some suggestions. Basically moving to NYC over the summer and once there am going to be in need of a nice Queen sized bed. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for matress shopping? And further more, does anyone in NYC have experience with good retail places to get a good deal?

Ideally I'd like to find a place that sells damaged/scuffed mattresses for big discounts, there's a few places like that down here in FL, but I haven't had much luck finding a place similar in NYC. I know 1800-Mattress has a few retail locations, and Sleepy's is the big name around, though I've heard they're a rip off.

Anyone have an experience/suggestions?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...19/subcat.html

Seems like a good place to start unless you want to shop locally and not order online.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

look out for bedbugs; they'll ruin your life.

A. Body
    BG Level

For high quality Queen size bed in NYC, I'd try and get the number of Leon Rose. I think he's hit the market for the same thing.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I dunno about damaged/scuffed, I'm sure there's going to be some no name company that will deal with them, but when I bought a new one a few months ago I have to say Bob's was the best place I could get it. I shopped around for a good few weeks looking for just the right mattress and Bob's had the best mattresses at a much better price then any other place, even with delivery/installation costs factored in.

Sleepy's, imo, is a rip off, as all the stuff they have on sale is junk. If you enjoy feeling springs stabbing you all over when you sleep, then sure you can buy one there, but otherwise expect to pay an assload for anything decent. I walked in there looking for one of them foam mattress types and the only things they could show me were ones that started at like 800 bucks, almost twice that of what you could find at Bob's.

Also, another good, cheap place...though I don't know if they have these in/near the city, is Big Lots. They have a lot of decent furniture for dirt cheap prices, and you could probably find a slightly damaged one for an even bigger discount. Though with them you have to transport the mattress yourself, which can be a pain in the ass for the bigger beds.

Also, even if you don't intend to buy anything, I still suggest you go to your nearest Bob's and just browse around. Most of them have a complimentary snack bar with cookies and ice cream and junk, so it's nice just to grab some free sweets.

I just went to the Ikea in by me in Brooklyn and got one of their mattresses, and ordered a 3" foam mattress pad. It's so comfortable! Everyone who sits on my bed comments on how comfy it is, and doesn't wanna leave. And then I tell them my next client is about to arrive...
    Anyhow, the worst possible thing you could do in this city is get a used mattress, from ANY source. Bedbugs will seriously make you want to slit your own neck.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

"damaged/scuffed" does not mean used. I think they're looking for places that sell products damaged during manufacturing/shipping/whatever. Here in PA there are stores that sell stuff like that at significant discounts even if there's barely anything wrong with it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

You can get great discounts on things that were never used, but have a mark or a scratch on em. That's what the OP is looking for, things that never made it to the main shops because of some insignificant damage to them. Usually outlet stores or smaller non-franchise shops are the best place to find slightly damaged goods like this, as they can sell things cheaper then retail shops.

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Above 2 posts had what I meant ya, not used bedbug infested shit.

I'll look into Bob's, but I did a quick google maps search and didn't see one in the city. Thanks for the help so far!

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I had my bed frame built. Two large drawers on the bottom covered by a smooth sanded flatboard. King Sized.

Cost me $150 for building materials/finish. Took me a couple of weekends of work.