+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasbro's 'Power Rangers'     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Hasbro's 'Power Rangers'

Power Rangers, on my Nickelodeon? It's more likely than you think!

Also, mutterings about a TMNT relaunch...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...1.story?page=1

The media mogul, who launched the hit show in the 1990s, pays a reported $100 million to regain control of it from Walt Disney Co.

One of the most popular — and reviled — icons of 1990s children's television is back in the hands of the man who launched it.

Media mogul Haim Saban has bought back the rights to "Power Rangers," the hit television show that fueled his dominance of children's television in the 1990s, from Walt Disney Co., which took control of the property in 2001.

Saban has also signed a deal with Nickelodeon, Disney's primary rival in the children's TV business, to air 20 new episodes of "Power Rangers" that he will produce, along with a catalog of more than 700 episodes.

The deal is worth about $100 million, according to a person familiar with the situation. Saban declined to comment on the price.

Originally known as "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers," the low-budget series debuted in 1993 and consisted primarily of recycled footage from Japan of monsters battling teenage superheroes with many voices dubbed by American actors.

"Power Rangers" was one of the most popular shows on the cable channel Fox Family, a joint venture of Saban and News Corp. that was acquired by Disney for $3.2 billion. The acquisition included rights to the show, but as its popularity faded Disney moved it to the smaller cable channel Jetix, now known as Disney XD, and most recently to local ABC stations on weekends.

"I think this property has significant legs going forward if it's in an environment where it is nurtured and supported as opposed to being part of a huge portfolio," Saban said. " 'Power Rangers' can flourish and be more impactful than it has been for the past five years."

A Disney spokesman said the show no longer fits with the company's brand or programming strategy.

For Nickelodeon, the "Power Rangers" deal is part of a push to air more programming that appeals to young boys. The Viacom Inc.-owned network recently made a similar deal to relaunch the popular 1980s cartoon "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."

"This fits in nicely as we are doing more things specifically for boys, and we are excited to add proven properties to our original slate," Nickelodeon President Cyma Zarghami said.

Although "Power Rangers" was somewhat controversial in the 1990s for its violence, she said she didn't think the show's campy martial arts would bother many parents today.

The acquisition is being made under the auspices of Saban Brands, a new company backed by $500 million of the media mogul's money with the goal of acquiring entertainment and consumer "brands."

Saban said the company is in negotiations to buy three other brands. He declined to identify them but said that, unlike "Power Rangers," they are not aimed at children.

[email protected]

Times staff writers Joe Flint and Dawn C. Chmielewski contributed to this report.

Dr. Salami
    HERO OF TIME

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Selamis Bloodwood
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Not gonna lie, I've been reliving my childhood on Saturday mornings and watching old reruns of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on ABC at 11 am lol. Though, they made it more cheesy than it used to be by adding in stupid 60's style Batman effects....such as the black ranger roundhouse kicking and on the screen it will say whooooosh!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So disney bought it for 3.2 billion and sold it back for 100 mil? Man disney fucked up on power rangers.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Uhh.

Pretty sure none of the power rangers footage was recycled japanese B movies, the fuck is that article talking about?

It's the same style, sure, but recycled?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Norellicus View Post
    Uhh.

Pretty sure none of the power rangers footage was recycled japanese B movies, the fuck is that article talking about?

It's the same style, sure, but recycled?
    Nah it was a japanese tv show called Super Sentai which was sort like power rangers. But yeah it was stock footage.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Taisaijin
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

The original recycled the majority of fight scenes and zord fights from the japanese version of the show. Pretty much any of the scenes where you didn't see their faces. Also I assume most of the Rita and her henchman scenes were dubbed from the jp version as well.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Rita definitely spoke english.

I guess I was only thinking about the recycling being certain parts like the zord fights, which they didn't look quite like the old style enough, but it makes sense if everything where you couldn't see their faces was recycled.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Yeah in the first season rita was dubbed over in the seasons after they hired a lookalike I believe.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRK1xCZDLRg

The show was Zyuranger, by the way.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Yeah, there's even some episodes where you can clearly see the Zyuranger name all over the power ranger's weapons. This is kind of funny, just last month out of boredom I saw all of season 1 on youtube.

EDIT: Yeah, I watched Power Rangers, wanna fight about it!

You think this is the real Dmitry?
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

That's crazy thinking back on it being dubbed, never would have noticed being like 5, but I can see now that it was.

Makes me want to watch the old ones.

Ridill
    BG Level

So, I just saw that this was on so I had to check it out.
    Opening theme brought back some nostalgia.

and holy fuck Bulk is in it. He must really love power rangers.
    The individual Zords are so incredibly lame looking and all the cgi it terribad too.

I probably shouldn't be critiquing it so much, but I can't help it!

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Bulk sure did get fatter. Also wow.. the old-ish theme song.

Ridill
    BG Level

guy who played Skull ended up getting a PhD lol

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

nostalgia attack!!!!! so happy, theres a glimmer of hope this generation of kids won't get lost in Beiber fever.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Samurai is eh so far. I'm only watching it now because I have nothing to watch on Sunday mornings and the fact that Bulk is back. The one thing I hate about it is the "Go Go Samurai!" part but it is a kids show so, whatever.

Oh and the puns too.

You think this is the real Dmitry?
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

The girl's looked kinda cute. They should have a black ranger also.

GATTACA!

BG Level

The Pink Ranger was my first love.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    The Pink Ranger was my first love.
    ^
    Along with Storm and Rogue from the X-Men cartoon lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast