My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Since no one else posted it: The not quite worst possible scenario..

I realize most of us have been following this absolute disaster happening off the Gulf Coast right now, so I'll just start from right now..

-=-=-=-
    An eddy spinning off of the Loop current captured spilled oil at the end of last week then pulled it into the Loop current.

Warning: large images!

So now we have oil in the loop current, which leads to the Florida Keys and then the Gulf Stream, up the eastern coastline. I'm really at a loss for words on this one.

SHOULD JUST BURN THE OCEAN

Old Merits
    BG Level

It's an oil spill. Who cares.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

glass em

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    You should. If you live or own property anywhere along the east coast, Greenland, Iceland, England, Ireland, the coast of western Europe.. maybe even the Med? Your property value just went down because some fucker didn't stick a tampon in the hole fast enough. THERE.. am I talking on terms that your puny conservative brain can understand now?

Beholder of Methane
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Here in the high-five of america, we have our own super cool lakes, go oil spill go!

Sea Torques
    BG Level

all this means is i can get some peace and quiet on the beach now

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Tell that to people who are fishermen and can't go earn a living because some douchebag didn't do their job correctly which would have prevented this disaster in the first place. Now those same fishermen have been chilling on land since this happened.

This is a cluster fuck, it's gonna shutdown deepsea fishing probably the entire summer off the coast of Louisiana when business is at a high. Those charter fishermen are fucked over and most of them can't take out another SBA loan because most of them are still paying back the katrina loan they took out and can't afford another.

The lawsuits in this are gonna be epic on a scale never before seen in this countries history.

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    I realize most of us have been following this absolute disaster happening off the Gulf Coast right now, so I'll just start from right now..

[...]

So now we have oil in the loop current, which leads to the Florida Keys and then the Gulf Stream, up the eastern coastline. I'm really at a loss for words on this one.
    Sorry, maybe it's because I live here, but we've known this as a very likely scenario for about a week already. I don't know if it's the "worst possible scenario", but it's not surprising.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

because some fucker didn't stick a tampon in the hole fast enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordender View Post
    because some douchebag didn't do their job correctly which would have prevented this disaster in the first place.
    This is most definitely a fucking mess of a mess, but the fault is not so simple. It certainly doesn't lie within a single person, let alone a single entity.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    This is most definitely a fucking mess of a mess, but the fault is not so simple. It certainly doesn't lie within a single person, let alone a single entity.
    Agreed.. Sorry about that I confused person with corporation again. It's hard to tell these days that they're not similar, you know with our most recent revelations from the Supreme Court..

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Sea Torques
    BG Level

also, this http://blog.al.com/live/2010/04/gulf...orst_case.html

disagrees with your assumption that oil getting into the loop current is the worst thing that can happen

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

lol

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

It really hasn't been a problem other than a few spots in Lousyana. Fishing Charters haven't stopped out of Mobile as long as they stay in the state controlled waterways because of the ban in federal waterways.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    also, this http://blog.al.com/live/2010/04/gulf...orst_case.html

disagrees with your assumption that oil getting into the loop current is the worst thing that can happen
    Ok ok fine I'll grant that point. But the idea that the spillage now isn't really such a bad thing is still ridiculous - this is a pretty bad situation that's only being made worse by the slow reaction times of the engineers trying to stop the leak and those directing them - both at a corporate level and at a government level. (Yes, that means I'm puttin' blame on Obama)

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Ok ok fine I'll grant that point. But the idea that the spillage now isn't really such a bad thing is still ridiculous - this is a pretty bad situation that's only being made worse by the slow reaction times of the engineers trying to stop the leak and those directing them - both at a corporate level and at a government level. (Yes, that means I'm puttin' blame on Obama)
    They actually started pretty quickly, it just took time to construct their plans and implement them.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

mmm.. its more then just an oil spill, the pipe line under the ocean busted and its more of an 'oil being pumped into the ocean, rather our refiners'

Either way, being that I don't live anywhere near this area it doesn't honestly effect me (other then the spike in gas prices in the next month) so really I don't care that much. if gas is to expensive for you, don't drive, if you cannot live without driving, well get another job.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    mmm.. its more then just an oil spill, the pipe line under the ocean busted and its more of an 'oil being pumped into the ocean, rather our refiners'

Either way, being that I don't live anywhere near this area it doesn't honestly effect me (other then the spike in gas prices in the next month) so really I don't care that much. if gas is to expensive for you, don't drive, if you cannot live without driving, well get another job.
    Idk about gas prices, but the price of oil is down 20% since the 3rd of may.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast