Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by noodles355 View Post
    Either:
    If you HQ, you get a bonus, if you break it, you give me a bonus

Or:
    HQ, NQ or break, you get nothing more/less.

I can't stand this "If I HQ it I want XXX, but if I break it then hard luck" shit.
    Sorry pal, if you want a bonus for HQing it (whether it's gil or keeping the HQ and giving me a NQ in return) then you beter be willing to cough up something for me if you crit fail it.
    Go level your own craft. The end.

Flowery Twats
    BG Level

Doesn't change anything, you can charge what you want, but if you want something for HQ, then I want something for a break. If you dont charge anything for a HQ then likewise i dont want anything if you break it.

You could even say "If I HQ it I'm keeping HQ and I'll buy you NQ". That's fine. As long as you don't then add "But if I break it I'm not giving you shit".

Either charge nothing for break/hq, OR charge for HQ? reimburse for NQ.

'Hey man, can you try and help me and craft me something rare?'
    'sure'
    'oh, if you break it (even though I am the one wanting the item), then I want some gil back!'

If you had come to me with that kind of logic when I played the game, you'd have probably been called a retard at least 30 times. If I HQ'd something of real value, saving someone a hell of a lot of gil, yes I expected some gil. Just like when friends of mine crafted for me and HQ'd, I'd happily give them a nice tip. Would I have ever expected them to give me gil if they broke my stuff? Hell fucking no.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinBandura View Post
    'Hey man, can you try and help me and craft me something rare?'
    'sure'
    'oh, if you break it (even though I am the one wanting the item), then I want some gil back!'

If you had come to me with that kind of logic when I played the game, you'd have probably been called a retard at least 30 times. If I HQ'd something of real value, saving someone a hell of a lot of gil, yes I expected some gil. Just like when friends of mine crafted for me and HQ'd, I'd happily give them a nice tip. Would I have ever expected them to give me gil if they broke my stuff? Hell fucking no.
    Hes got a pretty good point.

If you are having someone synth it for you, they are doing you a favor.
    You didn't spend the time leveling ( and swearing) the craft to 100.

If it hq's? Congrats, give them a tip you pieces of shit.
    If it nq's? Congrats, you probably saved like 50k.
    If it breaks? Shut the fuck up and deal, you could have bought the nq off the ah, you wanted to save a few pennies now you look like a faggot. your fault.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

nearly every synth with a usable HQ, the NQ is a loss

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by noodles355 View Post
    You could even say "If I HQ it I'm keeping HQ and I'll buy you NQ". That's fine. As long as you don't then add "But if I break it I'm not giving you shit".
    Wait I thought replacing HQ with NQ was implied...I dont think any crafter would just plain outright keep an HQ w/o atleast replacing with a NQ. You are explainging yourself all wrong.

There is no way in the world I am going to pay you if I break. GTFO. LMAO.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

as a leathercrafter I charge 15-20% for the extreme stuff (dusk gloves +1 cerb +1, dusk feet+1) thats my t0 and potentially 25mil for a dusk glove+1 that I could be making for myself. Basic stuff with my mule (100+2 bone) I don't charge generally speaking, or little stuff like making someone an amemet +1 again I don't charge. If i'm given a tip cool, if not no worries. (one guy gave me 3mil for hq'ing his heca hands 1/1 which was really cool)

Whiny little bitches who want free dusk+1 can really go jump off a fucking cliff for all I care. If you wanted it so badly go lvl the craft yourself. I'm not letting someone else rip me off when I put all this effort into my 2 crafts. If that makes me the world's biggest douchebag then I'll just find someway to live with it!

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sunnlona Iyrnlohwyn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Bootykilla View Post
    Go level your own craft. The end.
    I love this response because it is the most common one. What if I HAVE leveled my own craft, it just isn't the craft required for the specific item I am asking you to make? It is common for the people crafting the item to just immediately judge someone and call them lazy for not leveling the craft themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sign View Post
    lol i leveled alchemy and need dusk +1 do it for free plz ill synth wlegs+1 for you for free LOL
    ftfy

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I love this response because it is the most common one. What if I HAVE leveled my own craft, it just isn't the craft required for the specific item I am asking you to make? It is common for the people crafting the item to just immediately judge someone and call them lazy for not leveling the craft themselves.
    Level your own craft THAT IS REQUIRED for the item you want. Sorry didnt think that needed explaining...

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I have never been charged for a synth, usually because I ask friends to do the synths. But even with friends, once they make the HQ, i have them do all the synths, even if they make it on the first try. I treat all the rest of the synths as a bonus. example is I had a friend make me some HQ wyrmal hands. He went 1/4 on the synth, so I let him keep and sell the 3 NQs for himself, so he gained ~60k. If one had HQd he coulda kept it as well. If he had gone 4/4 HQ, we woulda worked something out, like sell and split evenly.

Treat your crafters fairly, b/c you will prolly need them in the future

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Make a second character.

The problem with the OP's situation is that there is no risk involved. You never lose mats on synergy fails, the only 'risk' is that the guy ends up with an NQ. Not to mention the fact that if I synergize something for you, I'm wasting my own fewell and putting in (slightly) more effort than putting 3 mats in a box and hitting ok. Tell that guy to fuck off and level his own synergy, its easy.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sunnlona Iyrnlohwyn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I just want to make something clear. If I ever have anything crafted by someone I will generally try to tip well if I can afford it and if I can't I will make a note and send them some gil later on once I have earned some more (I only get people I know to craft for me).

My problem is with that argument being the end all that people use. I am sorry, I am not going to pay more IRL just so that I can have every craft leveled for myself.

As for the last post by Jimothy if there is no risk of loss and you are losing some of your own mats (and more time due to the more complex process) I would absolutely compensate a crafter in that situation. If I have all the mats myself, I am coming to find you wherever in the world you are, and you just have to take a minute to trade, select items, synth, trade back then I will tip a lot less.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

NQ: I usually expect a small tip

HQ: I charge for at least ~10% of the item's cost.

If you're a dick I'll probably just craft for you and equip my NQ ring.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Jimothy View Post
    Make a second character.

The problem with the OP's situation is that there is no risk involved. You never lose mats on synergy fails, the only 'risk' is that the guy ends up with an NQ. Not to mention the fact that if I synergize something for you, I'm wasting my own fewell and putting in (slightly) more effort than putting 3 mats in a box and hitting ok. Tell that guy to fuck off and level his own synergy, its easy.
    Just to point it out, the person who made the trade to the machine is the one who uses fewell.

If, for example, he was doing ebon gear and made the trade but you did the couple button clicks to feed fewell, it is his fewell not yours that is being consumed, as it is his fewell crucible in the machine.

I don't charge people for crafting because #1 Im generally bored in WG in ffxi most of the time, and something to do other than chat with the ls is welcomed.

I don't agree with the "I leveled this craft to 100 therefore if I synth something for someone they have to pay for my effort"

Namely because I didn't level woodworking to 100 to make profit off making people gear/items. I leveled woodworking to 100 to make money on my own synths. They don't owe me anything at all, they never asked me to get 100 woodworking so how do they owe me any money?

90% of the time I get a tip anyways of 5-10K so thats cool, but lots of people all over quetz are running around with random pieces of gear I made them free of charge, its not like the 2 minutes I spent hitting 2 buttons was really that much effort. I'd rather have people that think of me as that guy who synthed me this polearm for free, instead of that douche who wouldn't do it for anything less than 15K.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

if you do have a 100 craft and don't expect someone to at least ask for 10-20% of the price of some T0 worth 20mil+
    Fuck it, nvm you're hopeless.

(again just to reiterate so people don't get their wires crossed I'm just talking about big ticket items. For smaller stuff, Hell ya I do it for free for peeps and sign it)

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Oh yeah, I see what you mean for several million HQs, except WWing doesn't really have that, its mostly consumables like arrows and bolts, well I guess there's shura gear but, lol, I don't see myself getting a request for one of those anytime soon.

Just furniture and little cheap weapons and stuff is mostly what Im requested so, I don't charge for that. ^_^

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sunnlona Iyrnlohwyn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Limlight View Post
    if you do have a 100 craft and don't expect someone to at least ask for 10-20% of the price of some T0 worth 20mil+
    Fuck it, nvm you're hopeless.

(again just to reiterate so people don't get their wires crossed I'm just talking about big ticket items. For smaller stuff, Hell ya I do it for free for peeps and sign it)
    I am sure it will come down to agree/disagree based on the way we view things but I just want to ask a question. What changes between a big ticket and small ticket item? I am not being sarcastic I really want your answer. If I am asking someone to T0 a synth (regardless of it's market value) and I am providing mats, what does it matter what it is worth? You are still going through the same process selecting the mats, you aren't worrying about support or anything. If the synth breaks I am out the mats and you go on your way. If luck strikes (and it is basically luck) and you HQ it, nothing has changed other than the animation. You haven't added anything extra, you haven't taken any extra time. *EDIT* I wan't to clarify one point regarding the above. I am talking about a single attempt or 2 at most for an HQ and then moving on. If I am coming up to you wanting 5+ synths trying for the HQ, or a couple every week etc on an attempt I would absolutely expect the person crafting to expect some kind of compensation for the repeated time spent.

For the record I never said I didn't expect people to ask, I fully expect it, I just don't agree with it and will go to a different crafter (like I said, I have resorted to only dealing with people I know well). My original point was just the pointlessness of using the "level it yourself" justification.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Before I even leveled bone to 100, I remember when dragon talons where 3M. I asked a known bone crafter to do the craft for me. She took time out of her day to go to windy with me and craft it and ended up breaking the synth + losing the talon. I still tipped 100k for inconveniencing her, ( she later Dboxed it back to me ), and because of this decided to level bone to 100 myself.

Moral: Don't be a cheap fuck.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I am sure it will come down to agree/disagree based on the way we view things but I just want to ask a question. What changes between a big ticket and small ticket item? I am not being sarcastic I really want your answer. If I am asking someone to T0 a synth (regardless of it's market value) and I am providing mats, what does it matter what it is worth? You are still going through the same process selecting the mats, you aren't worrying about support or anything. If the synth breaks I am out the mats and you go on your way. If luck strikes (and it is basically luck) and you HQ it, nothing has changed other than the animation. You haven't added anything extra, you haven't taken any extra time. *EDIT* I wan't to clarify one point regarding the above. I am talking about a single attempt or 2 at most for an HQ and then moving on. If I am coming up to you wanting 5+ synths trying for the HQ, or a couple every week etc on an attempt I would absolutely expect the person crafting to expect some kind of compensation for the repeated time spent.

For the record I never said I didn't expect people to ask, I fully expect it, I just don't agree with it and will go to a different crafter (like I said, I have resorted to only dealing with people I know well). My original point was just the pointlessness of using the "level it yourself" justification.
    I think we are all referring to big ticket items, 5m+. I have crafted many many items for anyone who asks for free.

What you have to understand is that even though to you it may seem like it only takes me 10 seconds to synth your item, if you I happen to HQ it, statistically I would have to craft another 100 synths before I HQ again, which in the cuurent market would mean a loss on every synth plus take forever to get rid of those NQ. Why should I let you walk away with a 5m+ profit off my craft that I leveled? (Again this is referring to rare T0 synths)