Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Charging for HQs.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Charging for HQs.

Hi guys and girls, just curious as to how much you usually charge for the rarer HQs when crafting for people that are not your ls mates/friends, i was recently called "Greedy" because i loled at someones offer of 50k if i HQed their Lemegton medalion synth. im 2/5 on the HQ for this.. was i wrong for expecting more, isnt 10% of market value usually the going rate, or does having all crafts and subs lvled mean you should automatically do shit for free for everyone that shouts because they are to lazy to lvl these things themselves?

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

10-15% of the selling price.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I don't charge personally.

I craft for the hell of it, HQ or not, if you bring me the materials and I got time I'll do it.

Herzins

I never charge for NQ's, I do ask for tips when I HQ, but not a defined price.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Well I dunno about the offerring end, but when I am having someone craft for me my method is simple.

If hq, no Im not gonna just give it to you and expect a nq back, no Im not going to pay for it. If your not a douche about it of course your tip is probably going to double or triple, maybe even quadruple if its a nice HQ.

But on the flipside along with this if you break my 500K synth Im not gonna be mad at you either.

If you wanna use your NQ ring to kill my chance at HQ you better be able to pay for the break if you do break >:/

I don't charge to make things for friends and even random strangers. If anything my charge is asking if they'll let me sign it to show off, other than that if it HQs I'll /clap and cheer at em, then congratulate em on their nice synth :D

Personally i don't charge at all i just tell the person if it NQ do what you want with it, if HQ and you sell it am just not gonna craft for you anymore simple as that.I dident spend alot of time and money lvling a craft so random strangers can profit off my hard work when there to cheap and lazy to lvl a craft to begin with.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Seeing these responses I'm gonna feel like an asshole. Friends and linkshell aside, who I craft free of charge; I make sure we both know what is at stake.

1. I'm not responsible for breaks. If you want the HQ so badly, buy it; don't bother me if you're not willing to accept the risk.

2. Make sure there is an agreed upon NQ fee; whether it be 0 or 10k, make sure you know. If you don't, don't be upset if they don't offer gratuity. I usually charge simply because of the time I've invested in leveling to 100 and all the subcrafts.

3. HQ charge basically the same as #2; just make sure you know and set terms. I personally try to get as much out of them as possible lol.

The way I look at it is; I don't have to synth for you. If I'm getting nothing from my invested time/money; Im losing money. Im not going to toss money out the window. If they refuse my services then how is it any different than never having talked to them in the 1st place.

I suppose the only risk I have my way is losing a potential friend. But to be honest I haven't heard of too many people starting friendships over crafting for free. >_>

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I tend to give 50k to a crafter even if they NQ. Not often they HQ anything unless that was what I was going for (those enmity chainsaw swords that I somehow forgot their name to and beak necklace). They don't usually ask me for money but I give that to them anyway even for small things like the above I stated because I took their time; this includes people that aren't "friends" but acquantices.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I have a bonecraft friend who's been making my dragon gear for alchemy, and I always give him 50k, even though it's easy stuff and he's just NQing.

I think of it as paying him for the 15 minutes of time. So if you get someone to wait for you to craft, you should definitely give SOMETHING for their time (waiting for you/leveling the craft)

As to the HQ's, I would give it to them for free, but I'd mention that they're welcome to tip me something for the good synth ^^

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

For me if its an extreme value HQ, I usually let the crafter keep it, sell it for a split and get an NQ with the cash~

Myr said I should dodge roll
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fiendish One
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

When someone asks me to make them an item which has a high value HQ cuz it's T0/rare, I make the following deal assuming they don't care for HQ:

If i HQ it, I sell it and split the profit with you and then I'll make you an NQ after from ingredients that you re-supply me with. I look at it this way, we both make money from the deal and you still get your item.

Case in point, few years back, random guy sends me a tell cuz he heard from a friend I have subcrafts level'd to make Cursed Togi. Go over the deal with him, he's fine with it, just wants to uncurse his D. Body. Sure as shit I HQ. Sell for 14m. We both make 7m and he gets new ingredients and I make him an NQ so he can uncurse.

Now that's for me and Woodworking. Not saying all crafters should do this. I know many crafters that keep the HQ and will go get ingredients to make an NQ to give.

Other then that, I never asked for tips. I do, however accept "charitable donations". Staves, if they want em signed, they usually trade me a small amount of gil since they're aware that GP for the sig crystal isn't free.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

For me it usually depends on what mood I'm in and what I'm crafting. I used to just charge 10% of the hq value and if you couldn't afford that then we could either sell and split or I'll give you an nq. Fuck the people who think it's greedy for me to want to profit on all the time and effort I put into leveling my craft skills. Occasionally if you catch me in a good mood I'll just craft whatever and if it hq's then good for you. Also, I always expect a tip if I don't know you, even on nq's. I always tip crafters who craft for me regardless of the outcome, I think it's just common courtesy. If I don't get a tip I don't complain or anything, I just remember not to craft for you again. If people don't like my terms then they can find another crafter, doesn't bother me at all.

edit: And if I answer your shout or you send me a tell asking me to hq something that you don't even know/have the ingredients for you're probably going to get ignored. Same if I ask about what kind of compensation you're offering and you give me an attitude or a "lol".

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

If it's not my mats and I lose nothing if it breaks (my only investment is the time it took to get 100+6 and the 30 seconds it'll take me to synth), I charge 10% of the value of the HQ.
    If they're going to get pissed at me if it breaks or I generally am not a fan of them or they're asking me to synth something I synth normally for profit, I charge 20% of the value of the HQ.

Synergy could get odd if you were synthing with multiple crafters, but the Medallion is just a one-crafter synth, right?

I find that most people are happy with the idea of 10% on HQ as long as they're told beforehand. I mean, 10% of the HQ price? What's not to love? But then if they're told after the fact they can get Q.Q-y sometimes.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

There was an old thread about this that easily went a few pages if you feel like searching.

When I had friends mass synth to HQ me stuff on mats I bought I generally tipped them 10% of value.

As for random people in whitegate, if they dont agree to a sell/split when all they want is 1 synth of X, then I throw on NQ ring or tell them to find another crafter.

I'm the one who spent the gil and time leveling the craft, subs, and guildpoints so if they don't agree to my rules they can go elsewhere or level it themselves.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

free for friends, for randoms if it's a very expensive HQ i'll probably ask for 1/4 or 1/2

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Think of the crafter as a woman and the synth as a sammich.
    If you bring a woman the ingredients for a sammich and she makes an extra good sammich does that mean she deserves to eat a little bit of the sammich?
    No. it means she gets a toaster instead of a pair of oven mitts on her birthday because she didn't buy the sammich ingredients.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

If I can skill up off the synths I'll do it for free and cry quietly if I hq. If I can't, 10% sounds about right

Quote Originally Posted by Khajit View Post
    Think of the crafter as a woman and the synth as a sammich.
    If you bring a woman the ingredients for a sammich and she makes an extra good sammich does that mean she deserves to eat a little bit of the sammich?
    No. it means she gets a toaster instead of a pair of oven mitts on her birthday because she didn't buy the sammich ingredients.
    heh. make your own damn sandwich.

With any transaction you obviously need to communicate 100% before every synth, or you'll end up fucking yourself as a crafter AND as the person asking. I know there's a few synths as a clothcrafter that are my bread and butter, and I won't do those on commission, I'll just point people to the auction house for those.

For high-end HQs of cursed gear, I'd want 10% tip if the person is actually uncursing. If the person is selling, I'll want 50% of the sale. If it's something the person will use for a while and then sell, like mahatma cape, I'd be grumpy as hell with accepting a 10% tip to watch them sell it 1-2 months later.

I always ask beforehand if the person is looking for an HQ or NQ, and if they say NQ I will tell them I'm using NQ ring. This flushes out true intentions *OR* helps them with success rate.

My best advice would just be communicate with each and every crafter, and if it's something that you repeat a couple times with the same crafter, always confirm your arrangement is still the same. Every crafter has a different idea of "fair" and no one wants to get screwed. Just have an open discussion, try not to be too demanding and don't get taken aback with fees. If they seem to high for you just say thanks and you'll try to find a different crafter.

Flowery Twats
    BG Level

Either:
    If you HQ, you get a bonus, if you break it, you give me a bonus

Or:
    HQ, NQ or break, you get nothing more/less.

I can't stand this "If I HQ it I want XXX, but if I break it then hard luck" shit.
    Sorry pal, if you want a bonus for HQing it (whether it's gil or keeping the HQ and giving me a NQ in return) then you beter be willing to cough up something for me if you crit fail it.

Not that this matters as I just ask ls mates to synth if I need something (not that my luck with that is good... wtf at darksteel synths, it should be 10% HQ but the 106/62 crafter I was with went 1/36 on hands and 0/48 on hat wtf)

Quote Originally Posted by noodles355 View Post
    I can't stand this "If I HQ it I want XXX, but if I break it then hard luck" shit.
    Sorry pal, if you want a bonus for HQing it (whether it's gil or keeping the HQ and giving me a NQ in return) then you beter be willing to cough up something for me if you crit fail it.
    personally i don't charge at all like i said but i can see why some ppl do.Think of it this way HQ on a T0 is 1% now in the short term to the person asking the crafter it seems like a lottery but for us ppl who craft 1000's of times that 1% over enough synths will acculy be only 1% so 1000 = 10 HQ on a long enough time line.So if we HQ for you where basically giving you money out of our own pockets.We don't get an extra HQ for ourselves just cause we did that synth for you and not our self.

so ya i really hate that argument.Cause if we HQ for you depending on the synth where losing more money then you do if a break.Cursed Cap -1 is what 20mil these days(not 100% what it goes for now had quit for almost a year only just started agen lol) so i HQ that for you i basically lose 20mil and if it breaks you lose 750kish sooooo um whose losing more here? The whiny little bitch whose to cheap to lvl the craft them self or the crafter. And if you wanna bring up the 5% fail guess what which is more 20mil i lose or 3.75mil you lose.

Now since no matter what ppl say we really all are out for ourselves in the end which is why we lvled the craft in the first place.Now we did that to make money for ourselves not give it away so next time anyone reading this thinks about saying that to a crafter think about what you just read cause you cant argue with percentages and where stuck with them weather the HQ is for someone else or not we don't get an extra shot at an HQ just cause the HQ wasn't for our self.

Just to point out my reasons for my earlier post and the fact theirs just plain some synths I don't do for anyone anymore.

Long time ago after i first got bone to 100 friend brings me mats for cursed cap wanted to uncurse the ABJ he had gotten earlier so i do it and it breaks i feel so bad cause he dident have enough to uncurse it now I go buy mats out of my own pocket guess what it HQ's and since i knew him for like 4 years where great friends all that time I just hand it over.Guess what he does he blacklists me puts it in bazzar for 40mil drops linkpearl and server transfers.

Now am not gonna post his name and start drama over it.It was a long time ago so don't ask for a name.I'm just pointing out my personal reasons for why i do what i do.