Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Better?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

MaachaQ

Trying to make some upgrades to my Bard now that my Gjallarhorn is finished, but running into an issue with spellcast. Would I be better off just fulltiming my 2 Nereid Rings rather than trying to swap in my Omega Ring for debuffs? Spellcast (and FFXI macros too) have an issue when it comes to equipping 2 items with the same name, so sometimes my 2nd Nereid Ring will not equip when I need it to for Marches.

Basically, am I losing much by using Nereid x2 in my debuff set rather than Omega/Nereid?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

like 2, maybe 3m.acc

but you need to switch them out when you want to use SS gear/PDT gear, so non-issue really. spellcast should be able to manage it no?

windower macros work for my x2 hades+1 earrings on PLD JA's

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

if all that you are swapping is rings, then yes, you're going to run into problems with any macro system. at least with ffxi macros and windower macros, put one ring on at the top of the list, then several other equips (chanter's/minstrel's, etc) and then the 2nd ring. works for my rdm with snow/aquas, etc.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

What's the better combo for sam gk tp assuming capped acc?

(hagun with usu body)

usu feet/sword strap or fuma/pole grip

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

fuma/pole

Fish Resale Price

What are the Best fishes in terms of highest resale price to the NPC (besides Matsya)

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by ZhiGaruda View Post
    To make it clear, VIT and DEF are definitely underrated in this day and age of blink tanking, for sure.

There are plenty of physical moves that wipe shadows, too. Perhaps not as many as magical, but still. Aside from the aforementioned enmity loss (very, very slight due to +20 HP), Kaiser vs. Terror makes no difference for magical damage, I don't see why you insist Terror has the advantage for magical survivability? That's confusing me.

AoE Magical, if a hit goes through, Kaiser will reduce damage taken by it, even without shield block.

AoE Physical, if a hit goes through, again, Kaiser will reduce it.
    +20 HP in a slot that you don't swap gear in and out of is as good as 2 more HP merits. That's why I consider it to be better for survivability.

The extra defense on Kaiser is worth 1.5% more damage reduction on a physical hit during a shield block. I hate to make up numbers, but for illustration, let's say a mob hits for 400 damage unblocked. According to the 'zam research from way back when, that would be reduced to 160 on a terror shield block and 154 with a Kaiser, strictly based on the shields' sizes (3 in both cases) and defenses (20 vs. 23). Based on a 1420 HP tank with Terror vs a 1400 HP tank with Kaiser, I calculate that on a shield block the first one would lose 202.88 CE, while the second would lose 198.044. For unblocked hits, the Terror tank would shed 507.2 while the Kaiser would lose 514.4. Using these hypothetical numbers, Kaiser is superior by 4 enmity on blocked hits and Terror is superior by 7 enmity on unblocked hits. The Kaiser shield tank would also die first in most cases, since +20 HP is usually better than saving 3-4 HP per hit (not all hits are blocks).

Granted, that doesn't account for the 6 vit and 6 total defense that Kaiser has over Terror. Vit and defense do matter, but I can't quantify how much damage that will reduce on an average physical hit. 2? 5? 10? If there's evidence that it's significant, I'd be interested in seeing it.

This is an example of Terror being competitive from a tanking standpoint against physical damage. Terror is undisputedly better against magical damage because more HP means harder to kill and less enmity loss. IF you're taking mainly physical hits and IF you can verify that 6 vit and 6 defense will have a more significant impact on your survivability than 20 HP, and IF you have absolutely nothing else to spend 3-4 million gil on... well, then Kaiser might be better. I just feel like the mindset that maintains Kaiser > Terror is the same one that full-times a Hauteclaire instead of Joyeuse. Something like, "Of course it's better, don't you know how hard it is to get one?"

Edit: Math is hard.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Silvermoon

mnk legs 55-74, republigar vs kyoshu sitabaki +1 (using fumas not kick boots)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Skillchaining aside; am I correct in assuming guillotine is better than insurgency in pretty much any situation?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Yes, insurgency is guillotine -1.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Nocturnal body vs Haub+1 for TP (Noct is no contest, right?).

Aesir ear for melee WS... regardless of single or multi-hit, 7 attack + chance to save a hit is better than say a Triumph ring or Assault Earring, (etc?).

I'm retarded and posted in the wrong thread.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

What's the difference between Iron Ram and Coral +1 from a PLD perspective?

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

Magic Defense Bonus and Magic Damage Taken-% are separate statistics. Looooong story short, from a PLD perspective, you want Coral+1 until you reach approximately -25% Magic Damage Taken in gear total, and then you can pour on the MDB in other slots. If you are confident that any WHM you get will have Shellra V at 5/5, then you can safely shoot for -23% MDT. Because of the MDB bonuses on Iron Ram, it's typically preferable to stack MDT in the Accessory slots (Merman's Rings, Merman's Earring, Iron Ram Lance, Active Resentment Cape, etc) and then use Iron Ram and as much MDB as possible in body slots. However, if you need to give up a piece of Iron Ram to cap out MDT, do so.

For RDM nuking (SCNM soloing and such):

8 MAcc
    43 INT
    14 MAB
    37 Skill

vs.

10 MAcc
    51 INT
    10 MAB
    32 Skill

My guess would be the second set, but just making sure.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

So, thinking about dnc again. Is there a place for the def down dagger? Oat offhand you need to keep for TP gain, but Acc/DEX main vs DEF down dagger... I will likely get both and just see how much I use them.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    Skillchaining aside; am I correct in assuming guillotine is better than insurgency in pretty much any situation?
    Shit looks badass, use it 24/7 strictly for that purpose.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Devinry View Post
    For RDM nuking (SCNM soloing and such):

8 MAcc
    43 INT
    14 MAB
    37 Skill

vs.

10 MAcc
    51 INT
    10 MAB
    32 Skill

My guess would be the second set, but just making sure.
    set #2 would most likely be better since you're likely to be getting a couple of resists

get the feeling a better set alltogether could be made from your gear, if you post what you have available.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    Shit looks badass, use it 24/7 strictly for that purpose.
    DAT. swap Guillotine's animation for Insurgency's if you like it so much. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercilessturtle View Post
    Yes, insurgency is guillotine -1.
    Also this ^

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Maytag* View Post
    Nocturnal body vs Haub+1 for TP (Noct is no contest, right?).

Aesir ear for melee WS... regardless of single or multi-hit, 7 attack + chance to save a hit is better than say a Triumph ring or Assault Earring, (etc?).
    I was told Hauby +1, and I'd go with Triumph Earring, <3STR<3

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast