Page 109 of 111 FirstFirst ... 59 99 107 108 109 110 111 LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Small update on my quest to prove buddy wrong XD

It appears that there was a change to the OF structure in Nov 2011, and possibly the format for how update info was passed on to us from the devs. I can find evidence that there was an update, but there are no comprehensive update notes on either JP/NA sides as far as I can tell >_<;; So, no luck on past statements... Maybe we can try to get them to give new info since we are going to be getting the relic shield? It's sorta related after all...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    Small update on my quest to prove buddy wrong XD

It appears that there was a change to the OF structure in Nov 2011, and possibly the format for how update info was passed on to us from the devs. I can find evidence that there was an update, but there are no comprehensive update notes on either JP/NA sides as far as I can tell >_<;; So, no luck on past statements... Maybe we can try to get them to give new info since we are going to be getting the relic shield? It's sorta related after all...
    Actually it goes back to march of 2011. Which from what I recall and based all the stickied "welcome to" posts is about when the OF went online. Before that it was just links on playonline with all the notices and you can still find it there unless unless you want to go back to before 2005. Before that I think it was done a little differently and I know you used to be able to still find the very early years a couple of years ago but not sure if you still can

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Actually it goes back to march of 2011. Which from what I recall and based all the stickied "welcome to" posts is about when the OF went online. Before that it was just links on playonline with all the notices and you can still find it there unless unless you want to go back to before 2005. Before that I think it was done a little differently and I know you used to be able to still find the very early years a couple of years ago but not sure if you still can
    I was not playing at the time, so you probably know the actual dates much better than I. ^^;; I was assuming based on http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...ersion-Updates (posted 11/17/2011). Either way, it feels like some stuff from around that timeframe got lost in the shuffle, so I have no idea where to look now for further reference... So I posted yet another thread on OF asking for direct clarification using the Crafter Relic Shield as justification/bait to get them to answer lol Fingers crossed I guess.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I just looked in the update section and march was the first post. But yeah going by that history... it stops at feb so pretty good chance an update before November lol. iirc they were usually like 4-6 a year back then? They probably just put that history up later when people started asking why aren't the other update notes here. If you have a basic idea of when said update happened (often can be somewhat figured out by checking update history of associated wiki pages) you can find out some info. Though I don't remember too awful much crafting updates from back then other than adding stuff

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I'm estimating based off of what Zouri reported earlier in this thread actually ^^;; I don't have any other reasonable reference point to look for.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

What exactly are you wanting to look up?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

To start with, just official confirmation that the function of the stalls was changed around that time to the current flat rate skill+5. I rather doubt that devs have actually explained exactly how the furnishings interact with each other, or what the precise effects are for cheers, etc.. so I'll settle for something that should be easy like the stall change (since Zouri said it was in the update/patch notes...)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Been gone a while, are there crafting cheers now?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

To start with, just official confirmation that the function of the stalls was changed around that time to the current flat rate skill+5. I rather doubt that devs have actually explained exactly how the furnishings interact with each other, or what the precise effects are for cheers, etc.. so I'll settle for something that should be easy like the stall change (since Zouri said it was in the update/patch notes...)
    Changed from what? I don't really remember them being changed like that. But if you can track down Zouri's comment you can go back to update notes from that date.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Been gone a while, are there crafting cheers now?
    just skill gain rate

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Changed from what? I don't really remember them being changed like that. But if you can track down Zouri's comment you can go back to update notes from that date.
    Link to post by Zouri

I've found several pre-nov2011 references to the stalls, and they state that the stalls initially had skill+2 and stacked up w/ the other 3x GP furnishings for a total effect of skill+5 in addition to the the matloss- type stuff from the other furnishings. Everyone who likes to argue with me about how the stalls function tend to fall back to referencing those posts. It's difficult to convince them otherwise when I can't find the update notes that say the stalls were ever even changed. :/

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Its obvious the other GP items do not stack. Key items are given based on aura strength. Stall just has the highest strength,so its KI replaces all others. Look under Active Effects.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Link to post by Zouri

I've found several pre-nov2011 references to the stalls, and they state that the stalls initially had skill+2 and stacked up w/ the other 3x GP furnishings for a total effect of skill+5 in addition to the the matloss- type stuff from the other furnishings. Everyone who likes to argue with me about how the stalls function tend to fall back to referencing those posts. It's difficult to convince them otherwise when I can't find the update notes that say the stalls were ever even changed. :/
    Well Zouri says November... but there was no update to the real servers that November. There were several to the test server but those records are long since deleted. There is nothing about moglification or stalls (other than they can't be stored) on any update on the OF prior to that Zouri post though as previously mentioned those only go till early 2011 so you'd have to manually search individual update notes based on the list you posted early though should only have to go back a year or so since I think the stalls were made around end of 09

Regardless I find it amusing people will believe old initial testing by players but completely ignore newer more recent testing

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I find it amusing as well usually. As long as they aren't giving out advice based on their superstitions and ancient testing data while stating/insisting that it's factual.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkworkz View Post
    Its obvious the other GP items do not stack. Key items are given based on aura strength. Stall just has the highest strength,so its KI replaces all others. Look under Active Effects.
    I know this. You know this. Some ppl just refuse to accept that there are not "hidden effects".

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I know this. You know this. Some ppl just refuse to accept that there are not "hidden effects".
    tbf this game is full of things that had to be tested or weren't really easily determined or outright hidden. The moonphase thing for crafting/drops I believe came from the very real effect it has on fishing. But it also makes sense with fishing given I think an npc alludes to it and well real life. But it's one thing to believe a hidden effect could exist and another to believe it definitely does without proof or in this case with proof to the contrary.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

tbf this game is full of things that had to be tested or weren't really easily determined or outright hidden. The moonphase thing for crafting/drops I believe came from the very real effect it has on fishing. But it also makes sense with fishing given I think an npc alludes to it and well real life. But it's one thing to believe a hidden effect could exist and another to believe it definitely does without proof or in this case with proof to the contrary.
    There's some obscure NPC that no one cares about anymore that would show you a constellation map. There are constellations for the various avatars, and that became the "logic" behind the gameday/directional superstitions. Don't remember name of that NPC or whether or not he talks about crafting in particular.

Fishing + moonphase also makes sense because there are fishing related equipment that is linked to moonphase. Fisherman's Cuffs from synergy is a good example of this.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

There's some obscure NPC that no one cares about anymore that would show you a constellation map. There are constellations for the various avatars, and that became the "logic" behind the gameday/directional superstitions. Don't remember name of that NPC or whether or not he talks about crafting in particular.

Fishing + moonphase also makes sense because there are fishing related equipment that is linked to moonphase. Fisherman's Cuffs from synergy is a good example of this.
    I believe it was one of the guys in windy. Maybe one of the rooftop research centers. iirc they also mentioned elemental weakness/strengths and bam crafting.

Cuffs probably not the best example since they don't say anything on them and they just give precision thwack which is similarly believed but I don't think tested or directly shown to be related to moonphase. Plus they came out years and years after the these theories had been proven/disproven. But I don't think any fishing gear explicitly says moonphase

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Link to post by Zouri

followin the link you posted and then the link to the craft section in the post below it... the section directly under the megamoglification in related links... link to Days and Directions. the guy asks to not alter his guide (its older) but i feel like a disclaimer of the devs stating this is all bull shit shuold be added at least to not steer people wrong.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I was under the impression bg-wiki was for tracking factual information, not superstition or hearsay. It's been openly stated by the devs that it's wrong. It should just be deleted imo.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I believe it was one of the guys in windy. Maybe one of the rooftop research centers. iirc they also mentioned elemental weakness/strengths and bam crafting.

Cuffs probably not the best example since they don't say anything on them and they just give precision thwack which is similarly believed but I don't think tested or directly shown to be related to moonphase. Plus they came out years and years after the these theories had been proven/disproven. But I don't think any fishing gear explicitly says moonphase
    The official ffxi guide back in the day stated fishing was effected by moonphase and weather, and NPCs also mention this.

Moonphase effecting things also gains credibility when multiple other in game things are effected by it. Chocobo digging had elemental ores during specific moonphase, fenrir's abilities, diabolos' abilities, certain monster spawn conditions... etc etc.

With it being so prolific its not hard to imagine people making further (unsupported) extrapolations.

Direction synthing on the other hand though has no other examples in game. Even Geomancer and SATA are in relation to the target, and not the actual direction you face.

Nothing I can think of in the game has ever cared what absolute direction you face. A small amount of things care about your relative direction though. If anyone knows of anything that requires you to, say, face north for example, feel free to correct me.