+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Nesingwary

Full Metal Alchemist Vs FMA:B

FMA original, or FMA:Brotherhood? Saw random FMA eps on Adult Swim and couldn't stand it, watched the first FMA:B disc at a local anime club and am catching up on it.

Did I just catch bad FMA eps or was it just bad in general?

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

The new one is lightyears better than the old one.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Um, what?

Original FMA is just FMA up to a certain point in the manga, then the rest made up. New FMA is the same old FMA, but instead of deviating from the manga and making shit up, it continues with the manga.

They're basically the same show except that they diverge at certain points. <_< Also, a lot of the earlier stuff was skipped over, or went through really fast, on the new FMA, since most people had already seen the old FMA, so, I would suggest watching the old one anyway, at least up until that point.

I'd tap that turian!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Personally I thought both were good. One went another way and the other stayed true, but both were good stories that I got pretty involved in. I'm happy that the same feeling (of the show) could be reproduced twice with characters we already knew and loved (again, regardless of the circumstances.)

To me it's like having my cake and eating it too.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Julian hit it right on the head. As for the OP, there is nothing bad about FMA, you perhaps were in a shit mood when you turned it on? Check them out online instead of relying of AS to fill your void.

You clearly have shit taste.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Akucaen View Post
    Personally I thought both were good. One went another way and the other stayed true, but both were good stories that I got pretty involved in. I'm happy that the same feeling (of the show) could be reproduced twice with characters we already knew and loved (again, regardless of the circumstances.)

To me it's like having my cake and eating it too.

Better than I could have said it.

assburgers
    BG Level

The first was like, a really good FMA fanfic, the second one is the actual FMA series.

The first is fun, and it looked really good in comparison to a lot of other contemporary shows, until you see FMA: B.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Dainslaif View Post
    FMA original, or FMA:Brotherhood? Saw random FMA eps on Adult Swim and couldn't stand it, watched the first FMA:B disc at a local anime club and am catching up on it.

Did I just catch bad FMA eps or was it just bad in general?
    The original anime was good, you probably never gave it a fair chance if you hated it (especially if enjoy anime). Thew new one follow the manga completely and is better.

first FMA series
    ep1-20 = similar to the manga, ep21-52= alternate ending.

FMA brotherhood
    ep1-10 = retelling of the important event that were already covered in the first 20 episodes of the first series, ep11-60 = direct adaption of the manga story

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Never saw the original one, but absolutely love FMA:Brotherhood. Never read the manga either, but do the brothers ever stop getting their asses kicked?

Its not that I like anime where there is just power up after power up, and 'just as planned' crap, but it just seems the brothers almost play second fiddle to a lot of the other characters. Maybe my only gripe with the anime, although I am sure people would say I stupid for thinking so...

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Just go with what I say on this, you have terrible tastes and should feel bad. I'm totally unbiased on this issue.

assburgers
    BG Level

They're kids, who stumbled into a world of monsters, megalomaniacs, and deific level powers.
    Yeah they're gonna get slapped around now and then, they also get to kick epic levels of ass at points too.

This isn't DBZ, or Bleach, or Naruto, the reason they are developing other characters is because they are all important.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Kayos View Post
    Never saw the original one, but absolutely love FMA:Brotherhood. Never read the manga either, but do the brothers ever stop getting their asses kicked?

Its not that I like anime where there is just power up after power up, and 'just as planned' crap, but it just seems the brothers almost play second fiddle to a lot of the other characters. Maybe my only gripe with the anime, although I am sure people would say I stupid for thinking so...
    If they were stronger than the bad guys early in the story, the manga wouldn't last long.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

If it's one or the other, definitely Brotherhood. FMA was good but half way through they ran out of material and just made stuff up. Brotherhood is a lot more faithful to the manga. What really sets these two apart though is that the original seemed to focus on the plot whereas the new one focuses on the plot but also heavily on developing the personalities of the characters and what motivations drive them.

FMA - Good series. Watch it if you are gonna watch both series.
    FMA Movie - Skip this. Unless you want to watch all the FMA anime it's not worth the time.
    FMA: Brotherhood - Amazing anime. Definitely watch this one.

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Nesingwary

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    Julian hit it right on the head. As for the OP, there is nothing bad about FMA, you perhaps were in a shit mood when you turned it on? Check them out online instead of relying of AS to fill your void.
    I may have very well caught filler episodes. It was mostly them walking around or doing political BS instead of moving the story forward from what I could tell. That's why I liked the first few FMA:B so much; shit actually happened in each one.

You clearly have shit taste.
    Not sure if you were directing that at me or someone else, but kay.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

You obviously.

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Nesingwary

Quote Originally Posted by Skotty View Post
    If it's one or the other, definitely Brotherhood. FMA was good but half way through they ran out of material and just made stuff up. Brotherhood is a lot more faithful to the manga. What really sets these two apart though is that the original seemed to focus on the plot whereas the new one focuses on the plot but also heavily on developing the personalities of the characters and what motivations drive them.
    Yeah, that was also something I picked up on. Especially during/after the Shou Tucker episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Max™ View Post
    This isn't DBZ, or Bleach, or Naruto, the reason they are developing other characters is because they are all important.
    Obviously, but then again I don't watch those. I grew up with stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Hellsing, etc.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Max™ View Post

I agree, and this is one of the reasons I really like the anime. Some of the other characters like Greed, the President, Mustang, etc.. are awesome. I am glad they get a lot of screen time/development.

Shamed to admit, but sometimes I just want to see the brothers kick some serious ass I guess, especially after all the shit they went through.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Dainslaif View Post
    Not sure if you were directing that at me or someone else, but kay.
    He was clearly super serial. I'm not biased either.

assburgers
    BG Level

I am biased due to poor selection methods, resulting in a non-random sample.

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Nesingwary

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    He was clearly super serial. I'm not biased either.
    Yeh, I'll probably give it another go sooner or later - watching it from the beginning will probably help. I just remembered seeing a lot of them wandering around and talking with no real events taking place. >_>