+ Reply to Thread
    Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Del Toro leaves "The Hobbit",film now w/o a director

I know "The Hobbit" is still a couple years out, and I think there is a thread where its progress is mentioned, but I wanted to post this as a fresh start.
    ----------------
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-and-its-fans/

"As Guillermo del Toro shed his mantle as director of “The Hobbit” and returned to being another filmmaking fellow in a wide world, he posted a bittersweet note on a J. R. R. Tolkien Web site that explained his decisions for leaving the project in further – if not complete – detail.

Last week Mr. del Toro (“Pan’s Labyrinth,” “Hellboy”) said on TheOneRing.net that he was withdrawing as director of “The Hobbit,” which MGM is planning for release as two films in 2012 and 2013, amid uncertainty about the studio’s future.

In a message posted Sunday night on that same site (and carrying the dateline of the Elven kingdom Rivendell), Mr. del Toro wrote that his “commitment to the project demanded enormous sacrifices both in personal and professional terms,” requiring him to relocate “my entire life and family to New Zealand” after he joined the project in 2008.

Though he has made other films that required location shoots and took years to come together, Mr. del Toro wrote, “rarely do you relocate for such massive amount of time specially when you have to do major ironclad agreements to put in deep freeze other contractual obligations with multiple studios.”

Without further explanation, Mr. del Toro added: “So – while the cited delays, contractual complexities or obstacles, cannot be attributed to a single event or entity – you will simply have to believe that they were of sufficient complexity and severity to lead to the current situation.”

Mr. del Toro wrote that he was leaving behind “a wealth of designs” for “Hobbit” characters and settings, and expected that whenever he watches the finished films, “I will tear up whenever I recognize a set or a creature or a quirk created under my supervision.” He added: “I will be watching filmic family albums. Photos of my children from far away.”

Peter Jackson, the director of the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy and a producer and screenwriter of “The Hobbit” films, said he would step in if necessary to direct “The Hobbit,” pending his commitments to other projects. A replacement director for Mr. del Toro has not been announced."
    -------------------
    As a huge fan of Toklien and a lover of the LOTR movies, I am really excited to see The Hobbit brouhght to life onscreen, but done right. I hope this isnt a nail in the coffin for the movie's production.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I can't see the Hobbit not being made with how huge LoTR was. They'll stick to it.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I've read alot of QQ on other sites about Del Toro leaving Hobbit but this makes me absolutely ecstatic. I think his films overall are pretty awful.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by grantlogan View Post
    I've read alot of QQ on other sites about Del Toro leaving Hobbit but this makes me absolutely ecstatic. I think his films overall are pretty awful.
    Seriously? Pan's labyrinth was awesome.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I found Pan's Labyrinth to be one of the worst movies I've seen. Every character was awful, especially the young girl. Cool special effects, sure.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Relic Horn
    BG Level

So he basically quit because he can no longer put his other films/commitments on hold?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Man0warr View Post
    So he basically quit because he can no longer put his other films/commitments/life/family on hold?
    this is what i gathered

Quote Originally Posted by grantlogan View Post
    I found Pan's Labyrinth to be one of the worst movies I've seen. Every character was awful, especially the young girl. Cool special effects, sure.
    I have to agree 100%. I REALLY disliked Pan's Labyrinth. My sister loved it but when me and my girlfriend watched it were both had the "uhh... yeah..." looks on our faces.

Also, I heard on NPR that this move was put on hold due to the studio being out of money or going through a bankruptcy or something along those lines.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

How do you go bankrupt after The Lord of the Rings? They had to make bank off those extended DVDs, I know I bought a few sets for gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    I have to agree 100%. I REALLY disliked Pan's Labyrinth. My sister loved it but when me and my girlfriend watched it were both had the "uhh... yeah..." looks on our faces.

Also, I heard on NPR that this move was put on hold due to the studio being out of money or going through a bankruptcy or something along those lines.
    Pan's Labyrinth was awsome, I really dont see whats wrong with it.
    Peter Jackson should go back to directing LOTR stuff as its the only decent work he's done. Stick with what you're good at PJ.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Man0warr View Post
    How do you go bankrupt after The Lord of the Rings? They had to make bank off those extended DVDs, I know I bought a few sets for gifts.
    I'm not sure, but I think in 2006 MGM acquired some of New Line's properties, so they weren't the ones to make the money off of LOTR, as virtually all the money made from LOTR was when the films were initially released (2001-2003).

I do hope this movie gets made, just so long as it isn't Lionsgate.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

No shit, I liked the Hobbit much more than the following books. Although that's like saying I like sushi more than pizza.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

I never saw PL, but I loved the fantasy element Del Toro brought to the Hellboy movies. Shame to see him leaving the project. I agree though, this movie has too much potential to just be cancelled.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

New Line was sold piecemeal to a bunch of studios iirc, MGM got LOTR and yeah they are currently going through serious financial troubles, production had to be halted on the next Bond movie which is as up in the air as this for same reason.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Good, hopefully he'll make Hellboy 3

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Pan's Labyrinth was fucking terrible. There have only been two movies I've ever seen where I truly wanted my time back, and it was one of them.

Glad he's gone.