+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Publix can have great beers or they can have just the typical ones. I've seen some with 6 packs of Stone's Ruination IPA and Spaten Optimator, among others...most of them dont carry that kind of beer though, no idea whats up with that. Rogue Dead Guy Ale is at most of the Publix I've been to, that would be a decent choice (although not super cheap). Total Wine is pretty much the best place in FL to go shopping for beer, no idea if one is near you or not.

I actually just went to the Cigar City brewery on Saturday, was pretty cool. Still so small scale, the bathroom for the bar they have is in the middle of the brewery with a bunch of wheat and hops and shit just laying around, was awesome haha. Had a couple decent beers, need to go back and get properly acquainted sometime soon.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...9913634cdd.jpg

Was pretty good, but not as good as I was expecting. It is brewed once a year. Was very smooth and had no taste of alcohol, which is a change for my Belgium's lately

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

resurrecting this thread with a cross-post from lolalla.

okay, beer rant time. stone vertical epic 10.10.10, just came out. this is the beer.

Quote Originally Posted by me, on beeradvocate, which requires you to register to read forums
    sorry to reply to myself, but i just have to reiterate: regarding the poor reviews of VE10.10.10, what the @#%^? this beer is amazing. i'm admittedly a sucker for any beer that earns a 5.0 for mouthfeel, but this beer is truly exceptional. it's very dry, mildly sweet, and creamy at the same time (the mouthfeel is about as aggressive and "hey, look at how unique and forceful i am," as pliny the elder). the taste is beautiful; grapes, nice restrained belgian yeast notes, leading to a nice alcohol burn right around when the beer gets to be its creamiest (any bourbon barrel aged / big stout lover should be able to tell you, alcohol heat + creamy mouthfeel at the same time = pleasure).

i've bought 4 bottles of this already, and i'm not going to stop buying them until i stop finding them. VE10.10.10 reminds me not just of how excellent stone brewery is, but of why i fell in love with belgian beer in the first place. it's the first beer in a long time to get me excited about beer itself.

i loved 09.09.09 and i think 10.10.10 puts it to shame. it's world class, as good as duvel, the 2nd highest rated beer in my 180 reviews, behind pliny the elder, which i like less but which really perfects its style--and duvel's 4.85 has a 4.5 for mouthfeel, as opposed to VE10's 5.0. if it weren't for the somewhat subdued smell and weak head retention/lacing of VE10, it would be a beer i see lurking around the top of my reviews when i sort by grade. i can't recommend it strongly enough.

i love this beer. it's the kind of thing that you drink other beers to get ready to be able to appreciate. the kind of beer where you've had others and been like, "well, i kind of like X (say "the sweetness", or "the alcohol", or "the spices") but it's too Y (say "bitter" or "watery" or "sickly sweet" or whatever)," but you have VE10.10.10 and you're like, "oh sh*t, i get this style of beer now. it's not that i didn't get it before either, it's just that the sh*t i was trying wasn't as good as this @#%^ing sh*t."

if duvel was okay but maybe too bland or sweet for you, try vertical epic 10.10.10. it's all the complexity of duvel, with a better mouthfeel (if you can't imagine a beer's "mouthfeel" impressing you, this might be the beer to show you what's going on with that description) and a lot more aggressive flavors from the fresh wine grapes they added during the brewing process. try it! this is the kind of beer that wows aficionados, and makes non-aficionados want to become aficionados. also, it's only like $6~/bottle (22oz bottle), which for beer this high quality is a @#%^ing steal

p.s.
    Spoiler: show
    the "@#%^ing" shit is the word 'fucking' or 'fuck' wordfiltered on alla!

p.p.s. don't drink this beer at fridge temp. just chill it in the fridge for 20-30 min and drink it, you don't want to numb your tastebuds with cold (as you *do* want when you slam coronas or PBR or keystone light), you want to take in all of what's going on. cool is what you want.

http://kathika.com/wp-content/upload...alonso67-l.jpg

http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/acatalog/svyturys.jpgThis. Looks light, only 5.2%, but crammed with flavour. If Molson Canadian, Rickard's Red, and Creemore somehow could have a child out of a threesome, this would be the unholy freak-baby creation. They've been making this since 1871.

Received Silver award in Dortmunder/European Export category at World Beer Cup silver. Same brand won Gold medal in Dortmunder beer category at World Beer Championship (USA) in November 2001.

If you can find it, get it. The only place I know that carries it, though is the LCBO in the Lithuanian district. If you have Lugans in your town, find their beer mart.

Also anyone notice all the fuckin teens/20somethings fratbros drinking PBR? It's like they watched Gran Torino and think that drinkin it makes them cool like Clint.
    Naw, it's because PBR is one of the cheapest kegs, at least in my area.

ICreemore can be meh outside of Ontario, because they do not preserve or pasteurize. KEEP THAT SHIT COLD or it will flatten out like a pancake. Course, the brewery is in Wasaga Beach area, so we never get problems with it.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Sam Adams bock & imported Augustiner - Helles Vollbier

Change this later.
    BG Level

Today I tried Mikkeller Black, a 17.5% ABV stout. Beeradvocate says it's no longer in production, so I'm glad to say I didn't fall in love with it.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
    Today I tried Mikkeller Black, a 17.5% ABV stout. Beeradvocate says it's no longer in production, so I'm glad to say I didn't fall in love with it.
    If I remember correctly Mikkeller only does one offs, I don't think they have a single beer that is repeatedly brewed.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

That's a mighty fine beer. Since this thread got bumped, I'll go ahead and toss in another Hoegaarden recommendation. It's so god damn good.

Tis the season, so I picked up a four pack of this while in the DC area and have been enjoying it

http://images.quickblogcast.com/9166...erium_Noel.jpg

Also have to add this, one of the best trappist ales out there

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fzdIhtRmHU...0/DSC_0104.JPG

Was oh so yummy

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Auspice View Post
    If I remember correctly Mikkeller only does one offs, I don't think they have a single beer that is repeatedly brewed.
    nah, a bunch of his beers are repeatedly brewed, like beer geek breakfast and the single hop / yeast series. black was one time only though. they're all priced as if they were brewed once (with unicorn blood).

agree with above endorsements of matilda and rochefort 10, among others.

i'll throw in another plug for shmaltz/he'brew beers, particularly the jewbelation gift pack:

http://www.shmaltz.com/HEBREW/GIFTPACK/GIFT_PACK.jpg

all 7 of their anniversary beers rebrewed (they're all awesome) and an 8th bottle that blends all 7 recipes and is aged in whiskey barrels (it's probably the best bottle in the pack, though i'm partial to 13). the 8 12oz bottles + small glass generally cost around $20~$25, which is cheap for what they are (i got a few boxes for $15 in MA).

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Not beer but I had a Woodchuck Fall Cider and it was so fucking good I can't even explain it in words.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Change this later.
    BG Level

I picked up a 750 ml bottle of this today. I thought it was okay, but not really worth the $14 pricetag. The same liquor store sells Pauwel Kwak for like $10 and I enjoy that more.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

my cursory glances at some of your usernames and locations lead me to believe that some of you BG regulars are either in or close to CT. if this is true for you, i highly recommend taking a trip to the new england brewing company in woodbridge. i've never been there myself, but my evil secret beer sources always funnel NEBCO's special releases to me, and they're uniformly excellent. for example, the wet willy scotch ale i'm drinking now is great, it puts to shame another wood-aged special release scotch ale i recently had. gandhi-bot is probably the king of west coast style IPAs made on the east coast (though wachusett larry is pretty good), and their belgian strong pale ale is kind of a sleeper masterpiece.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Looks like Discovery Channel is airing a new series on brewing. Judging by the commercial, it seems to be hosted by the owner of the Dogfish Head Brewery.
    Called Master Brewers (or something like that), airs Sundays at 10 starting this weekend.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by aru View Post
    Looks like Discovery Channel is airing a new series on brewing. Judging by the commercial, it seems to be hosted by the owner of the Dogfish Head Brewery.
    Called Master Brewers (or something like that), airs Sundays at 10 starting this weekend.
    Yeah, Sam talked about it a few months back. I can't wait for it to air.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

http://breweryreviewery.com/wp-conte...2/12-21-04.jpg

Just came in to my distributors, best beer around this time of year

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

OOOhhh, a beer thread!

So far this year my favorite beer has been Anderson Valley Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema. Schalfly from St. Louis has made it's way to DC, and I really liked their pumpkin ale. Also, I really like Flemish sour reds and will try them whenever I find a new one; Douchesse has been my favorite so far though.