+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
    I like to eat food
    BG Level

I haven't found KBS since 2015. I still have a bottle of it I forgot a out in the bottom section. Saw it the other day.

Is Founders keeping the quality up at least? I'd hate to see another seasonal release fall from grace.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

KBS is still pretty good IMO, but I haven't had the 2017 release. I didn't bother with this year's release since I didn't find it worth the effort to track any down plus several shops around here really marked the bottles up. I have a bottle from 2015 myself, as well.

IMO Grimm has been killing the stout game with their past few releases. Sumi Ink was one of my favorite releases from this past winter. People go ape shit over their IPAs, but their stouts and sours sit on shelves for quite some time in my experience.

Also, I went up Equilibrium's new brewery in Middletown, NY. Toki, definitely check out their stuff if you see it on tap. I know I've seen their beers in several places in Manhattan.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

The 2014 I had during Founder's Cellar Raid was worlds above the bottle of 2017 I had last night. It was still quite good, but while drinking it last night I literally said to myself, "This expensive beer just isn't worth it". Or, maybe I'm just being a cheap ass. But yes, the markup this year was really bad depending on where I found KBS. One shop was trying to get $12 a bottle. I paid $5.99. Same thing happened with Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout. I found it at a small grocery store of all places for $8.99 where most beer joints were asking $14-$17.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I think I had Sumi Ink as well. That was the one with orange and something else, right? Maybe that was Sumi Zest... I see their stuff in whole foods a lot now. Maybe cause they're brewing out of Brooklyn for the time being.

I'll keep an eye out for Equilibrium.

I got the 2015 release for I think 6-8 per bottle. I also have a bottle of the Worldwide, but I think I got that one for almost 10.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Ink is the one with vanilla. Zest had orange. Ink was far better, imo.

Grimm's stuff is weird. The cans will sell out instantly, but the bombers sit on shelves. A lot of shops I go to mark them up to 7-8 a can. I only ever buy cans at a whole foods near my job since they sell 4 packs for less than 20.

6 for a kbs and 10 for a wws is about average and I'd be happy to pay those prices. The only 2 stores I found that had kbs while not actively looking wanted 9 and 13.50 for a 12oz. I passed on both lol.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    I think I had Sumi Ink as well. That was the one with orange and something else, right? Maybe that was Sumi Zest... I see their stuff in whole foods a lot now. Maybe cause they're brewing out of Brooklyn for the time being.
    Still brewing the bombers in Virginia until late 2018 (rumoured) opening of their BK facility. Grimm's stuff is decent, Their older kettle sours and farmhouse ales were much more interesting. Their IPA cans can kick rocks as far as I'm concerned.

2017 KBS was definitely a step up from the last few years but none of them hold a candle to the 2011-2012 batches. 14,15 and 16 all had a really watery quality to them which ruined it. If you want a great BA Stout that's reasonably (usually) priced go for the Central Waters BA series. Blows it away. Also the Schlafly Ibex series has a BA stout out right now that easily gives bourbon county a run for their money.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Still brewing the bombers in Virginia until late 2018 (rumoured) opening of their BK facility. Grimm's stuff is decent, Their older kettle sours and farmhouse ales were much more interesting. Their IPA cans can kick rocks as far as I'm concerned.
    I haven't had their sours or farmhouse stuff. I've had their Lumen, the Zest, and I think another one, but I forget which now. Had it at a tasting event. I like farmhouse and wilds so I'm always on the lookout for new ones to try.

I thought they were brewing some of their stuff out of another brewery in Brooklyn until they can get their own thing up and running? I forgot where I heard or read that, though.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I've heard they're gonna brew in house at a few different BK places until theirs is operational but as of last can release they're still brewing at Flagship. Maybe when they've got everything out of the tanks? Who knows.
    Their farmhouse and wilds are pretty dank, Psychokinesis should be sitting around a ton of places in the city as nobody cares about anything of theirs that doesn't say Double Negative or is a canned IPA.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Soeaking of that, I just picked up a bottle of BFF and Psychokinesis during my lunch break haha.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I'm out to dinner and they have an entire selection of Grimm bombers. What should I get other than Ink because I already ordered it.

Castling, candlepower, color field, skyspace, perfect perfect, field rotation, kinetic cloud, super spruce, sugarmaker.

Don't know if I'll get a response in time, but tell me what's good.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    I'm out to dinner and they have an entire selection of Grimm bombers. What should I get other than Ink because I already ordered it.

Castling, candlepower, color field, skyspace, perfect perfect, field rotation, kinetic cloud, super spruce, sugarmaker.

Don't know if I'll get a response in time, but tell me what's good.
    Castling and Candlepower are saisons. Of the two, I prefered candlepower.

color field, skyspace, perfect perfect, field rotation, kinetic cloud, super spruce - These are all sours. I'm not big on sours, but my wife is. She said she liked Field Rotation and Kinetic Cloud out of all the bombers I ever brought home.

I have yet to crack open my bomber of Sugarmaker, so no opinion there.

I hope you have someone to share that Sumi Ink with because it's like a 12 or 13% abv beer haha.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I finished the Ink myself and my wife and I are sharing the Color Field. I wanted the Kinetic Cloud wild, but they didn't have it. The owner came over and gave me the perfect perfect and the color field to taste and I went with the color field. Turned out one of the guys were having dinner with supplies the wine for the restaurant so we're getting the hook up.

Color field is good. As far as sours go, it's definitely not as strong as some of the others I've had. It's strong up front, bit mellows really nicely.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

yeah markup on the KBS this year at the shop i got it from was pretty nuts. no prices on display, just the limits -- 1 4-pack and a 750ml, i decided to max out and it came out to $43. this year's is a bit toned down compared to last year, not quite as hot/boozy. very good, but the hype has definitely pushed the prices way over what it ought to go for. i'll probably keep a big and small bottle stashed away and skip out on next year.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

The Sumi Ink was really good as well. It obviously had a mark up at the restaurant, but if you can find it if suggest it. I want to try their wild.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

So in my small town we have roughly five party/liquor stores that have a good selection of craft beer. Two of those stores are mostly overpriced and have nasty people working there and one other is only open until 7PM. The other two have later hours and are really cool. One though, they just got bought and the new owners are, we'll just say, typical party store owners that are rude, always on the phone, and typically jack prices. Well, this just happened and this really pisses me off seeing this. They are going to lose a lot of business because the clientele that goes to this store will not put up with shit like this.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The prices look off but that's good for you. Idgi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I like to eat food
    BG Level

One is $8 and one is $11. I'm guessing they're starting to mark everything up and they missed one or something.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

I got some of this https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/wicked...-stout/243271/ on tap in Charlotte, made in Asheville. Holy shit, easily top 5 imperial I've had. Might even be #1. Afraid it wont be as good bottled but I"m going to find out

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I'm not a big fan of the upswing in coffee beers. I'm also not a coffee drinker so there's that. My wife and mother-in-law make chocolate frosting with a splash of coffee which is fine, but these are heavy on the coffee.

My wife's uncle was raving about Sierra Nevada's coffee lager over Thanksgiving. I gave it a try, but found it hard to finish. There were a couple I tried a few weeks ago at a tasting that I don't remember the names of because I disliked them.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

I'm a big fan of most stouts, coffee, milk, imperial, etc. Some are better than others for sure.