Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Personally, I'm not a fan of stouts with coffee. The only beer I've thoroughly enjoyed with coffee is Carton's regular and irregular coffee series and those are cream ales.

I've heard plenty of good things about wicked weed, but never seen them on tap here in the nyc area.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

The guy I was with said Wicked Weed mostly known for their sours, I haven't really gotten into sours or anything so I don't know how good they are, tbh from the name sours I thought they were full of hops but I'm told that isnt the case?

I like to eat food
    BG Level

They're sour. Think of a sour berry and that's what you're looking at. Hops would be bitter more than sour.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Sours are probably the least hoppiest types of beer. My wife hates IPAs which usually have strong hop flavor, but she'll drink the shit out of sours.

Sours taste exactly as they sound. They're very tart.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Good sours are really tasty. Bad sours are just super tart without any other real flavor to them and make me sick. Like I had too much candy or something.

I don't know much about sours either, so I can't help pick any out for you to try. The one I mentioned above, Color Field from Grimm, was really tasty. Other than that, I can't remember the name of any others I've had other than Delirium's Red which was passable, but I won't go looking for it.

I want to try more wilds. The only one I can remember the name of is Ommegang's Wild At Heart, but it's really expensive when I find it for what I'm sure is a mediocre to decent wild. I tried a couple wilds and saisons a few years ago at Savor, a beer event, but I couldn't find any of them near me and now I forget the names of the breweries and beers. I just remember one saison was from a Nebraska brewery that was named for a butterfly.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

About my picture, yes they are raising prices. I've bought three 4 packs of the pictured Phat Abbot and they were all $8.09, and now the price increase. I spotted another a week ago but couldn't remember the exact price I had paid before.

While not a stout, Founders Sumatra Brown Ale is absolutely amazing in bottle and out of this world on tap. To be fair I'm a big coffee lover though so my opinion may be a tad skewed.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Try any of the Crooked Stave bottles (or draft if you lucky) as Chad literally wrote the book on wild ales in America. Really beautiful and layered flavors while remaining cheap (for wilds) at around 8 bucks a bottle or so unless it's the higher end which is around 17 depending

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Try any of the Crooked Stave bottles (or draft if you lucky) as Chad literally wrote the book on wild ales in America. Really beautiful and layered flavors while remaining cheap (for wilds) at around 8 bucks a bottle or so unless it's the higher end which is around 17 depending
    That's better than the Ommegang. Much better. The place near me was selling them for 18-20 per bomber I believe. I'll have to keep a look out. Thanks.

After like five years I finally had hopslam from bells. They didn't sell bells in Texas until a few weeks ago and it was after it shipped so I got lucky and found it while working in California. Honestly for 20$ a six pack it's not worth it. Maybe it was because it wasn't super fresh? It was good but I don't get the hype.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    After like five years I finally had hopslam from bells. They didn't sell bells in Texas until a few weeks ago and it was after it shipped so I got lucky and found it while working in California. Honestly for 20$ a six pack it's not worth it. Maybe it was because it wasn't super fresh? It was good but I don't get the hype.
    Hopslam is still a fine DIPA, but it's not worth the hype. The craft beer game is light years ahead of where it was when Hopslam first was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic View Post
    Hopslam is still a fine DIPA, but it's not worth the hype. The craft beer game is light years ahead of where it was when Hopslam first was released.
    I will agree with that completely.

On a different note I got a 4 pack of firestone's v ursus and it's quite tasty. Probably up there with hopslam for me, and it was cheaper and readily available in Texas.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I just picked up Grimm Psychokinesis and Crooked Stave Hop Savant.

Was on the look out for other Crooked Stave ones, but this is the only one I've found so far.

Sours are probably the least hoppiest types of beer. My wife hates IPAs which usually have strong hop flavor, but she'll drink the shit out of sours.

Sours taste exactly as they sound. They're very tart.
    You're not wrong at all, but that's kind of changing lately. I'm seeing more and more "hopped sours" lately, and I'm honestly expecting them to start popping up everywhere as the summer rolls in, and if not this summer then next.

It's funny how my taste buds evolved from belgians > IPAs > stouts > sours, and this seems pretty consistent with a lot of my friends. I've been on sours for 2 or 3 years now and while I enjoy a good stout, I see no signs of slowing down. Anderson Valley's Briney Melon Gose is just about my favorite thing out there at the moment in bottles. There's a brewery near me called Bond Brothers that puts out some amazing sours, but they don't bottle.

Day, if you're reading this and you're still in the Raleigh area then check them out. You can find them on tap at a couple places, but they have new beers on tap every week at the brewery, and I have not had a single thing by them that I didn't like (they did a collab that was meh, but I give them a pass on that because it's a collab).

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    I will agree with that completely.

On a different note I got a 4 pack of firestone's v ursus and it's quite tasty. Probably up there with hopslam for me, and it was cheaper and readily available in Texas.
    I'm not sure if you get La Cumbre, but since you can find Firestone then you might be able to. Elevated IPA might be my favorite IPA on the west coast, and it takes a very well balanced IPA for me to finish one and genuinely say "Yeah, I'll have another one of those", and this is one of those beers.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    You're not wrong at all, but that's kind of changing lately. I'm seeing more and more "hopped sours" lately, and I'm honestly expecting them to start popping up everywhere as the summer rolls in, and if not this summer then next.
    Yeah, I've definitely noticed a lot of dry hopped sours in the past year or so. Still, I drink far more IPAs than any other style so I'm probably biased, but dry-hopped sours don't even come close to what I would consider a hoppy beer. I'm not sure if this is the case, but I would assume the dry hopping is done with American hops to give it the fruitiness that's all the rage in east coast and, specifically, New England style IPAs.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I like the Psychokinesis. I almost want to go by that office again to go to the Whole Foods to get more. In fact, I probably will.

Xerlic, I see your check ins at Burger Loft and it's really strange to me. My dad lives basically across the street from there.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed a lot of dry hopped sours in the past year or so. Still, I drink far more IPAs than any other style so I'm probably biased, but dry-hopped sours don't even come close to what I would consider a hoppy beer. I'm not sure if this is the case, but I would assume the dry hopping is done with American hops to give it the fruitiness that's all the rage in east coast and, specifically, New England style IPAs.
    I did a beer exchange with a friend that runs the Green Flash brewery in Richmond and one of the things he gave was this double dry hopped IPA that is ZERO IBU's. It's called IREALLYdontwanttoBU from The Veil Brewing Co. I haven't drank it yet, but it's going down soon. Friend said it was like drinking orange juice, lol. I'm a fan of NE style IPA's, though. Epiphany from Foundation Brewing Co. is probably my favorite of the NE Style's (though they called it Maine Style, lol of course)

He actually gave us a lot of really, really nice beers. Oh, I also got to drink a glass straight from the pigtail of the very first Willy Vanilly to be brewed on the east coast.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    Xerlic, I see your check ins at Burger Loft and it's really strange to me. My dad lives basically across the street from there.
    I love Burger Loft. IMO they have the best taplist in the county. They also expanded into the area next to them and started their own brewery called District 96. I've had a number of their beers and they're all quite tasty. Next time you visit your dad, you should give 'em a try.

Also, I noticed you gave Hop Savant a fairly low rating. IMO, Crooked Staves Petit Sour line is much better, but I'm also not a fan of Brett IPAs. I went to the Whole Foods at Bryant Park this week and noticed they had a few Crooked Staves in their cooler FYI. Not sure if that's the one you go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    I did a beer exchange with a friend that runs the Green Flash brewery in Richmond and one of the things he gave was this double dry hopped IPA that is ZERO IBU's. It's called IREALLYdontwanttoBU from The Veil Brewing Co. I haven't drank it yet, but it's going down soon. Friend said it was like drinking orange juice, lol. I'm a fan of NE style IPA's, though. Epiphany from Foundation Brewing Co. is probably my favorite of the NE Style's (though they called it Maine Style, lol of course)

He actually gave us a lot of really, really nice beers. Oh, I also got to drink a glass straight from the pigtail of the very first Willy Vanilly to be brewed on the east coast.
    Juicy NE IPAs are quite the rage now, for good reason. Tree House, Trillium and the like have made tons of bank honing the style. I've heard very good things out of Maine breweries like Foundation and Bissell Brothers. I've never had a chance to try anything from either of them yet, though. I did manage to get a can of Other Half and The Veil's collaboration Topical Depression last year which is a 0 IBU beer that tasted like straight Passion Fruit. Really good.

On the other side of the spectrum, one of my favorite beers ever is Carton's Epitome. It's a black IPA with 100 IBUs. Haha.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I love Burger Loft. IMO they have the best taplist in the county. They also expanded into the area next to them and started their own brewery called District 96. I've had a number of their beers and they're all quite tasty. Next time you visit your dad, you should give 'em a try.

Also, I noticed you gave Hop Savant a fairly low rating. IMO, Crooked Staves Petit Sour line is much better, but I'm also not a fan of Brett IPAs. I went to the Whole Foods at Bryant Park this week and noticed they had a few Crooked Staves in their cooler FYI. Not sure if that's the one you go to.

Juicy NE IPAs are quite the rage now, for good reason. Tree House, Trillium and the like have made tons of bank honing the style. I've heard very good things out of Maine breweries like Foundation and Bissell Brothers. I've never had a chance to try anything from either of them yet, though. I did manage to get a can of Other Half and The Veil's collaboration Topical Depression last year which is a 0 IBU beer that tasted like straight Passion Fruit. Really good.

On the other side of the spectrum, one of my favorite beers ever is Carton's Epitome. It's a black IPA with 100 IBUs. Haha.
    District 96 is actually where my buddy is the head brewer, I'm glad you dig what he puts out lately! Foundation and Bissell is great (Foundation is better) but if you're up there in that area don't sleep on Austin Street. Their Patina pale is absolutely one of the greatest beers out of Maine. Foundation just canned their coffee brown ale that is dangerously drinkable. Bissell all kinda tastes the same on draft but their cans (swish) are absolute fire.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    District 96 is actually where my buddy is the head brewer, I'm glad you dig what he puts out lately! Foundation and Bissell is great (Foundation is better) but if you're up there in that area don't sleep on Austin Street. Their Patina pale is absolutely one of the greatest beers out of Maine. Foundation just canned their coffee brown ale that is dangerously drinkable. Bissell all kinda tastes the same on draft but their cans (swish) are absolute fire.
    Haha I'm not surprised that you know Chase since he's from NEB. I love sessions when I'm at home, and if they ever get to the point of canning I would drink the shit out of Philibuster.