+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Love Dogfish Head, they are so awesome. Definitely gunna have to try that beer.

Oh and anyone who was intrigued by that Humidor Series IPA by Cigar City...unless you are a big cedar fan I'd prolly pass on it. I guess its interesting to try, but I prefer the original Jai Alai IPA.

Just had the Palo Santo Marron at World of Beer actually. Guy hooked me up too, usually beers that are 12% are put in smaller glasses, but he gave me like a 20oz glass haha. I was already tipsy, a big glass of that shit put me in a very happy place. Great beer.

http://www.boozereviews.net/wp-conte...nto-marron.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2513/photojcg.jpg

I had this the other weekend. I dun remember what the full name was, but it was good. I can't make out the label/remember the name of this but I wanna get a case if I can. Any help would be appreciated...

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2035/photo2mh.jpg

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

not sure which label you can't make out, but the beers you pictured are ayinger ur-weisse and saint bernardus tripel. for saint bernardus, try their abt.12 some time, it's amazing (and my favorite style of beer). for ayinger, definitely try ayinger celebrator if you get a chance, it's kind of the standard-setting dopplebock (and it's great). also, if you like banana bread, try ayinger weizenbock.

it was the st. bernardus that I couldn't remember/see. That's why I took the picture and that ended up not helping at all ha.

thanks.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Change this later.
    BG Level

Today, I drove around to several liquor stores looking for a pack of Delirium Tremens, but none of them had it in anything other than single pint bottles. I ended up "settling" for a six-pack of Summit Unchained Batch 4, which is a Belgian style golden ale with similar alcohol content, and I can't say I'm sorry. The whole pack cost less than the single bottle of Delirium, due mainly to the fact the Summit is a local brewery and Delirium is imported. I'll definitely get more of this stuff.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Aha, seeing this reminds me, I tried two options I could find at a local total wine (that weren't in huge bottles or cases lol) based on the earlier suggestions:

http://beeradvocate.com/im/beers/156.jpg

This shows up on BA as a belgian IPA? But at Total Wine it said it was a dubbel, so I got one. It was actually decent, I could drink it again. Not great, but a start. It certainly made me want to find other things to try.

Then later that week I had one of these:

http://beeradvocate.com/im/beers/5423.jpg

And while this didn't taste as vile as the older stuff I had tried long ago, it still tasted not-good. I didn't want to spit it out immediately, and the drink itself was a lot better than the head (relatively speaking), but it still wasn't something I took any particular pleasure in drinking. Especially the head on it...I had half a mind to strain it out lol, but by the time that occurred to me I had already endured most of it.

So I guess any suggestions to keep trying based on that feedback are welcome

Edit: Oh yeah, not expressly beer, but I also had a woodchuck draft cider, and THAT was damn tasty...I need to find the other flavors (I had the amber, really want to try the dark & dry and the granny smith).

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

gouden carolus cuvee van de kaizer is quite good. don't remember the tripel. had it in NYC one time when i was drunk, but piss drunk wandering around a city is not the best way to try a beer.

i had pretty things baby tree tonight myself. good stuff. if it weren't 5am, i'd have a brooklyn black chocolate stout to follow it up.

today's general beer advice: if you see anything by hair of the dog, buy it. i hear ruth isn't so good, but adam and fred are amazing.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

Bugman's XXX

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

That looks terrifyingly opaque.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Norellicus View Post
    That looks terrifyingly opaque.
    note that the lacing visible in that pre-drink shot is still on the glass an hour or two later, among other things of note.

Sanoske

Found a place by my girlfriend's house that has an amazing selection of beer. We decided to pick a few things up tonight, here's what I tried.

Innis & Gunn Cask Aged Beer
    Absolutely incredible beer. Almost 5 bucks for a ~12oz bottle but worth every penny. Seriously, if you enjoy beer you have to try this immediately. Smooth on the way down, amazing flavor, definitely the type of beer worth drinking the right way.
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3224/...86d969764b.jpg

Southern Tier Creme Brulee Imperial Stout
    Great beer. I love the flavor, but it gets to be very rich, very quickly...something to enjoy in smaller quantities as an indulgence.
    http://justbeer.files.wordpress.com/...eme-brulee.gif

Also picked up Dead Guy Ale, but havent gotten to try it yet. Southern Tier looks like they have a lot of stuff I need to try, so I will be back to that package store soon.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

especially if you like dead guy, try john john ale by rogue (the whiskey barrel aged dead guy, not the juniper one). it has 2 burly looking guys on the front of it. brewed only once, a few months ago. another similar 1-off to try to get into barrel/wood aged beers is great divide's 16th anniversary wood aged IPA. it's not really as good as dogfish head burton baton, but it's basically a tutorial on what oak aging does. on a whole different end of the spectrum, another barrel aged beer worth finding immediately is goose island bourbon county brand stout.

i bring up barrel/wood aged beers just b/c you mentioned the innis and gunn oak aged. if you want to spend > $5 on a 12oz or below, i highly recommend any of the various aged j.w. lees barleywines, or for something completely different, trappistes rochefort 10, one of the best examples of my favorite style of beer, the quadrupel (which is relatively ill-defined like all belgian "styles"). also may want to check out samuel smith's yorkshire stingo, another pricy, oak aged english ale (this one an english strong ale).

southern tier creme brulee, yes, it's very rich. can't think of much like it, though i can say that i really like southern tier's jahva coffee stout. come to think of it, southern tier do their share of oak aging as well. i like most southern tier beers. their 2XIPA is a really solid value too (as close to a good west coast IPA you can find around here without really hunting).

edit: oh, you're in CT like me. if it's anywhere near hartford area, manchester wine and liquors is the best package store i know. super liquors in glastonbury isn't bad, and the chain M&R is also pretty good. pretty much everything i mentioned above is available around here, save goose island stuff, which you need to get in MA or NY (and maybe RI? dunno). i mentioned great divide and one of their not-as-stellar-as-usual beers, so let me also throw out a recommendation for my favorite of their beers, hibernation ale. still some left on some shelves from the winter.

also, if you get really gung ho beer, make sure you check out the willi pub in willimantic sometime. they make good to amazing beer. if you're not up in the hartford area, you might be close to the new england brewing company, in which case i'd advise going there and buying growlers of their beer frequently. finally, to represent local a bit, olde burnside in my hometown makes some decent beer, including their great but a bit overpriced scotch ale, ten penny reserve. their penny weiz is a nice, low alcohol refreshing wheat beer that doesn't taste remotely like anything else i've mentioned in this post.

Sanoske

Quote Originally Posted by pahnphoenix View Post
    Beer things
    I'm down in Trumbull, but I visit my lady at UConn fairly often and my cousin lives in Hocknum, so I frequently find myself in the 860. I've had the Olde Burnside Ten Penny Ale and the wheat beer, both were solid. I first had the Ten Penny a few years back when I found it at a local package store down here. The aftertaste was a bit sharp at first, but I grew to love it.

I can't say I'm a big fan of Belgian Ales (Duble-Tripple-Quad), I've had a few and while I can see the draw they just haven't been exactly my taste.

Definitely going to have to try a new beer every week tho, it's been too long since I explored a bit.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I've really wanted to find a good(in my opinion) tasting beer. After reading this I tried Hoegarrden, Blue Moon white, and Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. None of them were to my liking. I noticed the different flavors in them but none of them were easy to drink, I guess I'll always be a liquor person. Hell I have no problem with double tequila shots with no salt or lime and these were not something I want to drink regularly. I'm going to try more, I've got the woodchuck thing and sam adams imperial white left to try. Any suggestions on a beer that might be to my palette?

Old Merits
    BG Level

The three beers that you have listed are all wheat beers.
    What you might want to try to do is to jump to the opposite end of the spectrum and try some of the stouts and porters that some of the other posters have mentioned.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast