+ Reply to Thread
    Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The "Best" external hard drive?

Hi, I was curious as to what the best external hard drive would be for around $100 that you guys would recommend? I'm a total newb and don't want to go into a store knowing nothing... I have no experience with external hard drives. I want to buy one by the end of the summer to put all my movies/programs on for when I go back to college. Thank you =)

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

It's hard to go wrong with a WD Mybook, they're pretty popular and cheap. I'm sure someone will say how unreliable WD drives are, but I've never had a problem. Buffalo externals are solid as well.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I've always sworn by my 1 TB WD mybooks. I never buy Seagate since i've had one fail as have many of my friends. I haven't tried a Buffalo, but I do love their networking equipment so I'm sure they're just as good on the externals.

! Western Digital is the way to go. I have 2 - 1TB externals from them, and shits amazing.

DAKPluto

I also have yet to have a problem with my WD external. (Other than my mobo refusing to stop trying to load from it first on a restart.)

I also have a Maxtor external that has not given me a single problem at all.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I will say the new 1 TBs WD is pushing out have their stupid software on it (that I can't seem to rid the PC from prompting) but it shouldn't be an issue. My gf bought one and we removed the software off the HD but it still pops up the SmartCD message when I plug it in. Kind of annoying but meh. My old MyBooks don't do that and I love them dearly. :D

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Octavious View Post
    I will say the new 1 TBs WD is pushing out have their stupid software on it (that I can't seem to rid the PC from prompting)
    We have a few of the my passports at work and it requires a firmware update on each and every one of the drives to get rid of that stupid fucking software. here Shit was painful. I don't know how bad it is on their other hardware.

That aside the drives are pretty reliable. The passports don't have the most durable casing on them, get one of the bigger ones if you don't intend to transport the drive anywhere.

If you happen to have an eSATA port it might be worth looking at one that is compatible with that. (It should be able to run as fast as an internal drive).

Downside is most pcs don't have them, so you'd not be able to use it on other PCs without eSATA. You can get drives that have both usb2.0 and eSATA.

Of course if you don't have the port then disregard this.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

I love my WD external. I wish they didnt cost so much more than a normal HD and an external box but thems the breaks I spose

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Saga View Post
    No offense but $150 for a TB drive isn't really "great" anymore. Most are around $100 these days: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...21288&name=1TB

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

1TB WD Caviar Green. Just shoved it into an external eSATA dock and has worked like a charm for months.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    No offense but $150 for a TB drive isn't really "great" anymore. Most are around $100 these days: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...21288&name=1TB

Word

Well only one drive on the 1st paged linked has any type of connection but usb2.0 that is $100 or less.

Interface Transfer Rate
    (max. bus speed) : eSATA: up to 3Gbits/s; USB 2.0: up to 480Mbits/s

A normal SATA drive and a dock might work out cheaper too, I've never looked into it really.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9fp35476c0s441

1 Terabyte for $65 (free shipping) if you use the coupon code $3CZWXH1802313

I think the cheapest they've gone for was $60.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    At least link a similar product.

For a portable 1tb (the 2.5inch) in a rugged design, 150 is a good price.

DAKPluto

Quote Originally Posted by guartz View Post
    At least link a similar product.

For a portable 1tb (the 2.5inch) in a rugged design, 150 is a good price.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822154368

$131 is a much better price than $149...just saying.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

All WD 3.5" HDDs I've had have died on me within 2 years. So I moved away from them. But if I had to buy an external, I'd go Seagate > WD > Samsung. Usually it's personal preference/experience. The new WD MyBooks though IMO aren't so great. If you remove the casing of the enclosure, the SATA connectors are apart of their system board so if your enclosure dies, you're SOL. My best experience has always been to go w/ the better internal HDD + enclosure. Even if it is Western Digital. Especially since manufacturers usually use the cheapest/slowest HDDs in their lineup when they make external HDDs. It also won't come with that software crap they built into the HDD.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Related question: what's the best external drive enclosure? Minimum connectivity: USB and eSATA. How hot it gets matters. Noise damping a plus.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

If you're in US, just check NewEgg for HDD enclosures and pick based on the connections you need/want then out of those, get those w/ the highest rating that's within your price range. As far as brand goes, I've seen dozens of brands; any you'll never have heard from before. For those as well, usually comes down to personal experience and the egg rating usually doesn't lie.