1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 15 hours, 37 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 8 hours, 22 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 8 hours, 37 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 1 hours, 22 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

6 is silly because you actually notice that black bar across the middle.
    It's useful for driving games and strategy games. What was being looked into last was 5 screens in portrait mode iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    The way your brain removes them isn't really that different. And there are triple monitor setups built specifically for eyefinity out already- they're just stupidly expensive.
    4realz.

The real way to do this is with 3+ projectors, so much cheaper, no bezels, and you can build your screen to be curved if you want(though the game really needs to support it).

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

For those of you who are interested in 3D XIV, and multi-monitor, Anandtech did a nice little write up explaining Nvidias 3D Vision Surround.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3793/n...ision-surround

Quote Originally Posted by bluefan View Post
    For those of you who are interested in 3D XIV, and multi-monitor, Anandtech did a nice little write up explaining Nvidias 3D Vision Surround.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3793/n...ision-surround
    3D vision which, everyone should be reminded is a rip off, considering how nvidia dropped all the other 3d options they d been doing for more than 10years ! and only left their overpriced glasses+overpricemonitor combo as the ONLY option.

alternatives are iz3d and tridef which are compatible with ATI cards.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefan View Post
    Viewing 3D has more to do with your brain then your eyes....and anyone who plays for that long will eventually get eye problems, on any kind of display.
    i used to think that but i m not so sure anymore. eyes have two ways of focusing on an image. i dont have all the scientific terms but one is the eye orientation muscles and the other one is the lens muscles. these are supposed to work synchronously but the artificial 3d viewing breaks that process. i m wondering if 3d doesnt sollicitate lens muscle too much and accelerate deterioration of the lens suppleness.

i m opened to arguments though could be total bs i m not an optometrist

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azgalor

I'm saving my money up for a 50" Samsung 3DTV so I can use that instead of a 3D monitor.
    Would like to get Pansonic Plasma, but because of the dithering, plasmas are not good for being used as monitors.

Formerly known as Arcknight.
    BG Level

I tried 5760x1080 (ASUS 5870 Eyefinity 6 GPU) in the beta with three screens. Framerate sucked.

COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Darus Grey View Post
    The real way to do this is with 3+ projectors, so much cheaper, no bezels, and you can build your screen to be curved if you want(though the game really needs to support it).
    Could you recommend any projectors, screens, combos etc. for something like this? Even with just one projector ... I was checking newegg off the cuff and it seems all the HD setups are as expensive as a monitor or more (screen prices especially seem ridiculous, in the multi-thousand dollar range if getting more than one).

Been debating changing the home TV to a large wall-projector style anyway, might as well ask.

Doesn't projector have time span by the hours?

A lot of time in MMO you just stand there waiting for something to happen.

Vuitton

The beginning of .hack//

(goggle headset + mic)

!!

http://baronshobbies.com/blog/wp-con...043-Medium.jpg

(note due to unattractiveness: this is not me.)

Quote Originally Posted by Araelus View Post
    Could you recommend any projectors, screens, combos etc. for something like this? Even with just one projector ... I was checking newegg off the cuff and it seems all the HD setups are as expensive as a monitor or more (screen prices especially seem ridiculous, in the multi-thousand dollar range if getting more than one).

Been debating changing the home TV to a large wall-projector style anyway, might as well ask.
    Epson has a really nice 1080p projector right now for only $1500 bucks. Mine was a good bit more than that, but I bought it a while ago. I have to say, having a 120" tv is extremely nice.

As far as 3D projectors, not so sure. I haven't been in the market so I haven't looked for them. I know you can simulate a polarized 3D effect using two projectors and polarizing filters really easily.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I have a 3d 720p projector, the acer h5360 that I use with nvidia 3d vision. I have watched monsters vs alien 3d, cloudy with a chance of meatballs 3d, and tons of various 3d clips. The image quality is surprisingly amazing at 110 inch diagonal and the 3d certainly has more "pop" than on my alienware optx 3d monitor.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Bah, I only have dual monitors set up, and my character would be split right in the middle. I don't think 3 monitors would bother me, I'd get used to, and ignore the splits in the display... but cutting my character right in half would suck.

Doesn't matter anyway, as unfortunately, my two monitors aren't the same resolution. One 1920x1080 and one (older flatscreen from my last PC) 1280x1024. Guess I'll just stick with single monitor gamesplay and second to look at shit/watch Netflix.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Planning on setting up a 3 monitor setup when i build my new PC in the fall. My question is, what's the standard resolution to look into? I'm seeing 1920x1080 and 1920x1200. Is one being phased out in favor of the other or is it just a matter of choice?

Old Merits
    BG Level

1920x1080 is a lot more common now (mainly due to 1080p). 1920x1200 is prefered by a lot of people, because you get more screen space

It's choice at the end of the day, but I'll go for 1920x1200 if they are good monitors.

COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV

BG Level

1920x1200 is more likely to be a high-quality display (IPS - In Plane Switching) which, among other benefits, gives you the option to rotate the monitor into portrait mode with no loss of coloration.

Most 1920x1080 monitors will be TN (twisted nematic) which have very limited true color viewing angles, but they're cheaper. Always check the screen type in addition to native resolution.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

when I 1st saw 3 monitors lined up I thought "thats dumb, the bezels...". then I saw ffxiv at e3, and my intrest ramped a bit. after watching some vids around the net I'm sold. not on the 3d but the extra visual info.

but pushing 6million+ pixels isnt going to happen with my rig anytime soon. So I'm going to shoot for running in 720p. Grab some small monitors to get my foot in the door. then move to hdtvs, 720p is only going to get cheaper.

I've got a 720 dlp projector. and an lcd monitor. bolth look great to me, and the lcd is junk really, 8ms, low contrast.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Just thought I'd mention that if you can 'hack' the benchmark to go fullscreen. The nvidia 3D tech does work with it compared to FFXI which doesn't. Got to see what it would look like in 3D recently and I'll tell you one thing, even if I only use it for Cutscenes it will be well worth the price. The rain effects on the ship were awesome and all the 3D models that once seemed bland looked alot better with full 3D depth. Main issue was pop in (can be jarring) but I look at that as a product of the alpha benchmark rather then a mark against the final product. Just thought I'd mention it for those select few others with the Nvidia glasses but don't have the beta to test it.

I'd link people to the hack but its bookmarked on another computer that I'm not at currently.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Croy View Post
    Just thought I'd mention that if you can 'hack' the benchmark to go fullscreen. The nvidia 3D tech does work with it compared to FFXI which doesn't. Got to see what it would look like in 3D recently and I'll tell you one thing, even if I only use it for Cutscenes it will be well worth the price. The rain effects on the ship were awesome and all the 3D models that once seemed bland looked alot better with full 3D depth. Main issue was pop in (can be jarring) but I look at that as a product of the alpha benchmark rather then a mark against the final product. Just thought I'd mention it for those select few others with the Nvidia glasses but don't have the beta to test it.

I'd link people to the hack but its bookmarked on another computer that I'm not at currently.
    Good to hear :D

I'm still a bit on the fence about the 3D, as I would have to replace my 24" MVA panel with a TN one.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azgalor

Quote Originally Posted by Croy View Post

Thanks a lot for the insight, Croy!
    Really happy to hear about your impressions! It's going to be great playing FFXIV on huge 3DTV.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Bronzebeard

Full screen hack can be found here.
    http://bygzam.seesaa.net/article/153685727.html

Download it and toss the d3d9.dll into \FFXIVBenchmark\data and you're GOOD TO GO!