1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 35 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 24 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 20 hours, 35 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 13 hours, 24 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level

Stereoscopic 3D & Multiple Monitors in FFXIV

Detached and moved from JP Media thread

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/...4/837/ff04.jpg

As noted in the E3 thread it will support stereoscopic 3d and multiple monitors. Pretty impressive to see though.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Not sure I could play with the chat/status/menus spread so far away. Maybe at like 15 feet away or something...

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    Yeah you can move it around in the end anyway, I'm more than likely having my chat spread at the bottom like FFXI's heh cuz it was just so much..easier on the eyes.
    Good point. But theres still more to this UI update than shown in this pic - like the right sliding menu instead of the small menu by the abilities when pressing Triangle. I like eeeet.

You don't need a special monitor for 3D right? Just a good GPU and glasses ya?

I was watching the video of the new battle system on youtube and thought to myself how thats gonna be like at end-game with Haste gear/spell. Then I pictured the FF13 action bar with Haste and my FF14 character spamming arrows... my mind was blown. ;(

Edit: inb4 n00b! Ranger's/Archer's arrows don't benefit from Haste.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    You don't need a special monitor for 3D right? Just a good GPU and glasses ya? ;(
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-about.html
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visi...uirements.html

From what I've read looking into it is you do need a compatible monitor, but I am not 100% sure what the state of the tech will be by the time FFXIV ships.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe View Post
    user posted image

As noted in the E3 thread it will support stereoscopic 3d and multiple monitors. Pretty impressive to see though.
    mind blown, but I'm not sure I'd want that in an MMO aside from drooling at scenery.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shuichi Shadowstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I just did a quick check on PCRichards.com (NYC area retailer) and a Sony 46" LCD HDTV @ 120hz is priced around $1000. Not as bad as I expected. May hit that 3D thing up sooner than later.

Fellow NYC'ers you can view it here.

One of the cool things with PC Richards is that you can haggle with them some and perhaps get the price knocked down a little. I've purchased all our HDTVs from them.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-about.html
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visi...uirements.html

From what I've read looking into it is you do need a compatible monitor, but I am not 100% sure what the state of the tech will be by the time FFXIV ships.
    /copy paste my post from another thread: I'm pretty sure you don't need special hardware for stereoscopic 3D, on the PC anyway. This type of 3D is different from nVidias which requires 120mhz monitors etc. Just need to enable it and have the glasses... not entirely sure though.

Old Merits
    BG Level

http://news.cnet.com/3d-tv-faq/

According to this not all 120Hz TVs can do 3D because it has to have 120Hz input plus special chips to interpret the signals. TVs that do 120Hz output take a 60Hz input and interpret it up to 120Hz.

So you need a TV marketed as a 3D TV.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Again, not all 3D is created equal. Stutter glasses like nVidia Vision require a 120mhz display, whereas Stereoscopic mode simply means you can use it with a regular monitor/TV and regular blue/red glasses.

I'm sure they will make it Nvidia 3D compatible though as well (120hz and shutter glasses) as that is typically the new, 'real' 3D. But we won't know which they were using for FFXIV at E3, and shouldn't assume.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Stereoscopic - (or Stereoscopy) is any technique capable of recording three-dimensional visual information or creating the illusion of depth in an image.

Anaglyphs Images are used to provide a stereoscopic 3D effect, when viewed with 2 color glasses.

Yes the old style 3d with the glasses that have one red filter and one blue filter may have lower requirements but watching the video demoing FFXIV's 3D support features Shutter Style 3D or Polarized glasses both lenses are dark grey. Either Shutter or Polarized require a compatible monitor. Considering how SE and Nvidia are so closely partnered I would be willing to bet SE is using Nvidia's 3D Vision.

Both Nvidia and ATI list 120Hz 3D displays as a requirement for their current 3D technologies moving forward. Just as the big new movement in 3D TV and gaming moving forward will require compatible monitors.

http://3dvision-blog.com/wp-content/...initiative.jpg

One method of producing a 3D image is using polarized lenses in the 3D glasses. Two different polarized images are shown and each lens blocks out one of the images providing a full color 3D effect that is superior to the red and blue glasses. This is the method used in IMAX and other theaters showing 3D movies. Polarization works by using filters that only let waves of light through that are not aligned with filter. Each projected image is aligned with one of the lenses and the opposite lens lets that image through. This allows 3D display of a full color picture. The polarized 3D glasses look like any average pair of sunglasses you'd find on a store rack. http://www.anandtech.com/show/2779

Another method of creating a 3D image involves using shutter glasses. This method, often called "frame sequential display", has the user wearing powered glasses with an LCD screen that opens and closes like a camera lens. The 2 different images are shown in an alternating fashion while the glasses are synced via outboard hardware to open and close each lens separately providing one image to each eye. This effectively halves the frame rate of media being shown so a 60Hz LCD TV being used with shutter glasses will appear at 30Hz and 120Hz at 60Hz. With fast moving images this 3D technology can suffering from flickering, also the tint of the glasses effectively lowers the screen brightness by up to 50%.

Shutter glasses are also used on the 3D capable DLP TVs available currently from Mitsubishi. Samsung's final line up of DLPs that were 3D capable also used this method but Samsung has since dropped it's DLP line. The DLP version of this technology uses a grid system that displays alternating squares like a checkerboard. Think of it showing the red and black squares in an alternating fashion with each lens synced to either the red or black squares to provide the 3D effect.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Was it your intent to write 5 paragraphs explaining what I did in a single sentence?

Yes, those are two different modes with two different requirements. It shouldn't be assumed FFXIV was using the type that required new hardware when there is no proof to that. Reasonable assumption? Maybe. Proof? No. Especially when you consider that Crysis 2, a much more graphically intense game than FFXIV, uses stereoscopic 3D that does not require the addition of any new hardware.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    Was it your intent to write 5 paragraphs explaining what I did in a single sentence?

Yes, those are two different modes with two different requirements. It shouldn't be assumed FFXIV was using the type that required new hardware when there is no proof to that. Reasonable assumption? Maybe. Proof? No. Especially when you consider that Crysis 2, a much more graphically intense game than FFXIV, uses stereoscopic 3D that does not require the addition of any new hardware.
    Sorry but you are wrong about that, from Crytek's page on 3D Support

*Additional hardware and accessories, not included with game, may be required for full 3D effects.

there are 3 basic technologies to get Stereoscopic 3D on a screen, 2 of the 3 require compatible hardware. Anaglyphs does not require additional hardware but is no longer a competing tech against the other 2. That is a fact.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

All proper 3D technology outside of anaglyph requires completely different monitors and glasses. If they 'really' were using 3D on those three monitors then it's clearly 3D vision technology (those glasses are the 3D vision shutter glasses, I got one at hoome, plus if it was anaglyph the screen would be a red and blue mess.) and those DO require special monitors. Yes you can get 3D without special monitors but it's all based around old technology we have been able to do for years now. Nvidia just made it easier to implement thanks to the 3D drivers they made for their special shutter glasses tech, it was only a matter of taking the data from the drivers and making a red and blue offsetted images on a normal monitor. Nothing more to it then that. That 3D, however, is headache inducing and is as far as I'm concerned not even proper 3D. The Nvidia glasses technology that uses special 120hz (input and output signals) monitors makes a very streamlined image in each eye which simulates the quality of the polarized 3D we see in theaters now a days. I like it a lot but it's not for everyone... very expensive to setup too >_> and each new pair of glasses cost $150.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Stereoscopic 3D capability is not a requirement to play FFXIV or any other game that supports it such as Crysis 2. It's a feature you can enable if you have the hardware.

I'm trying to find out the correct information and give others reading the thread realistic answers to their question. It's more misleading and erroneous to suggest a company would implement an outdated method of producing Stereoscopic 3D when newer, superior technologies are being broadly adopted.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Am I the only one that doesn't give a shit about 3D? Yes it looked much, much, much better in Avatar (with the more expensive dolby 3D), but for all the immersion it gives, it still shatters the instant something goes off the screen, still is mildly irritating to wear the glasses, and still looks absolutely fucking retarded when someone sees you doing it (plus the fact that they can't really watch over your shoulder, either).

With the cost of the hardware on top of the reasons listed above, 3D is still pointless and not worth the time it's taking to write these super excited posts.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras
    I'm sure they will make it Nvidia 3D compatible though as well (120hz and shutter glasses) as that is typically the new, 'real' 3D. But we won't know which they were using for FFXIV at E3, and shouldn't assume.
    The setup they're using for FFXIV at E3 is Nvidia 3D Vision.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Sorry but you are wrong about that, from Crytek's page on 3D Support

*Additional hardware and accessories, not included with game, may be required for full 3D effects.
    The glasses. You're wrong.

Old Merits
    BG Level

The glasses. You're wrong.
    You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Blitz Games is working with Sony and Microsoft to bring Stereoscopic 3D to both the PS3 and the Xbox 360. The PS3, it's getting a firmware update to make it compatible with 3D capable TVs(Sony and Samsung use Shutter Glasses). You'll need a 3D capable TV to use 3D with a PS3! I don't have a Xbox 360 so I don't know about any updates for it.

I watched the Crysis 2 E3 announcement on 3D on all three platforms and they DO NOT say you won't need new hardware. They say it will be able to be played 2D and Stereoscopic 3D on PC, PS3, Xbox 360. Now if you are basing your statements on the fact that they had Linear Polarized glasses for the audience, that was because it was projectors and a screen, like in a movie theater. So they projected it in 3D.

As I said in the other post on the PC you have Shutter and Polarized which are the two current techs and both require compatible monitors and glasses.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah whatever man, you're fucking clueless coming out of the woodwork with wikipedia'd definitions of stereoscopic and acting like you know what you're talking about.

Yerli comments that Crytek has been researching 3D technology for the past three years, and that actual 3D support was first implemented about a year ago. He promises support for any and all types of 3D technology (he throws out names like "Dolby3D" or "RealD"), as opposed to requiring a specific type of 3D glasses or hardware.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179807

You're arguing what, the fact that Crysis 2 will support 3D that doesn't require specific hardware(120mhz displays etc)... or the fact that I used it as an example as to why SE might do the same? Newsflash, ANY game works with nVidia 3D if you have the hardware. You flip a switch, and its on to varying degrees depending on developer. It's been this way for years as a selling point for nVidia GPUs. Just because SE shows the game in 3D at a conference where 3D was practically the theme, it doesnt necessarily reflect their intentions with 3D development. And nobody can claim to know otherwise since yesterday is the first time this has even surfaced.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Umm, hate to troll in and break up the love fest...

oh wait, its all I do here, since I don't take shit seriously

But, PS3 has already updated its firmware for 3D support.

Super Stardust HD 3D is amazing...

Back to Forum Fighting...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast