+ Reply to Thread
    Banned.

BG Level

Fire Emblem: Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~ (NDS)

Translates roughly into "Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of Light and Shadow~"
    http://i46.tinypic.com/21c86ja.jpg

This is the second DS remake for the genre-defining SRPG series. Isn't it technically a remake of a remake? Or am I getting my Fire Emblems mixed up? I haven't played the previous DS entry, so maybe it doesn't cover the second half of Marth's story, I really don't know! Anyway, no western release data as of yet. The game is set to release in Japan July 15.

Trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJPYbbzsyN4

A fan discusses older screenshots and makes comparisons: Felt like linking. ("So um yeaaa" lol)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9pLhztY4T0

Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Em..._no_Eiy%C5%AB~

Official Japanese Site
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/vi2j/topics/index.html

Andriansang has translated some information from the website. It concerns the game's (mainly new) features:
    http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...emblem_update/
    My Unit
    As previously detailed, you create your very own character to star alongside main character Marth in the game's story. You can customize your My Unit in appearance and abilities. For details, see this story.

Casual Mode
    The game has four difficulty levels: normal, hard, maniac and lunatic. After selecting difficulty, you can select between Casual and Classic modes. In Classic mode, allies who are killed in battle don't return -- just like in past Fire Emblem games. In Casual mode, fallen allies return for the next battle.

Character Relationship Chart
    You can view a growing character relationship chart as the story progresses.

Download Content
    Nintendo will be offering new scenarios and special items via Wi-Fi Connection.

Saving
    There are three ways to save progress. You can save following each chapter. You can pause play during the middle of a battle. Here, the save file is deleted when you continue. The game also includes save points directly on the battle field. These are handled like standard saves.

Wireless Play
    Face off against other play via wireless or Wi-Fi Connection. These fights take place on multiplayer-specific maps.

Rental Unit
    You can trade units from your battle party with friends. Nintendo suggests using this feature to borrow powerful units when you can't clear a map.

Online Shop
    You'll be able to purchase weapons from an online shop using in-game money. The lineup of items will change regularly.
    "Lunatic" - finally a mode for my demographic! (People who like hard games are all insane.)

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Correct, this is the 2nd book which was introduced in Fire Emblem 3, I believe?

The first DS remake was just the first book, or Fire Emblem 1.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

the casual option can be useful, I've been trying to introduce my brother to the series but he always found it to daunting, maybe that'll make the difference and get him hooked.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Can anyone link me to a listing of the games that points out the parallels? I'm looking to whittle the list and eliminate the remakes/ports.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tits View Post
    Can anyone link me to a listing of the games that points out the parallels? I'm looking to whittle the list and eliminate the remakes/ports.
    There are only three Fire Emblem remakes, IIRC. Fire Emblem 3 had a remake of Fire Emblem 1, and a brand new second half. Shadow Dragon was a remake of FE1. (and the first half of FE3) This game is a remake of the second half of FE3. All the other FE games are new.

If this means the next handheld Fire Emblem game will be a Genealogy of the Holy War remake, SIGN ME UP.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Thanks for clearing that up. I just don't have patience to replay stories at this point

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Fire Emblem and Advance Wars were like my favorite games on the GBA

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Joshua ----> BEST

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by TheKoolAidMan View Post

yes, yes he is.

Didn't he have a sister in that game? i could never get her...

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by TheKoolAidMan View Post

Joshua/Caellach was one of the best exchanges in the game, no matter what route.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Fuck I now have the urge to hunt down a copy of the Sacred Stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    yes, yes he is.

No, but his mother was a swordmaster and one of his love interests, Marisa, could become one. She also had bright red hair, so I'd imagine she looked like his sister abit

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    yes, yes he is.

I think you might be thinking of Raven? His sister was Priscilla.

Also, Raven>Joshua.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I can' wait!

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

Needs more Myrrh!

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrh_Quetz View Post
    Needs more Myrrh!
    Valter killed Myrrh in my first playthrough ; ;

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Japanese Battle Tactics Gameplay
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ja...-emblem/701107

Looking good.

Banned.

BG Level

Game is out in Japan today

http://www.andriasang.com//e/blog/20...em_iwata_asks/

The conversation about perma death first came up when Iwata asked the three to share the defining characteristics that make a game Fire Emblem. Maeda brought up the perma death feature as something that gives the FE series its uniqueness. Maeda feels that this feature makes players feel more emotionally attached to the characters, and also heightens the tension during play. He also admitted to Iwata that when he played Fire Emblem as a fan he'd often resort to resetting the game to make sure he didn't lose a character.

As development progressed, the staff had constant meetings with Nintendo. One issue that arose during these meetings was how to open up the game for beginner players. The major point of debate for this area was the perma death feature. Nintendo's side first suggested that they make it so that fallen allies will return for the next map. Higuchi, who was serving as point man in the conversations with Nintendo, originally felt that doing this would make the game cease to be Fire Emblem. He felt, like Maeda, that the perma death feature contributes greatly to the feeling of tension the players have during the game, and is one of the major appeals of the series.

The staff spent a great amount of time debating this issue with Nintendo, with the dialogues becoming heated. Narihiro recalled the debates taking place daily, and sometimes lasting late into the night.

Narihiro was actually familiar with this debate, though, as it happened with the Shadow Dragon remake, and even Fire Emblem games prior to that. They even implemented a revival system for past titles but removed it before release.

Higuchi recalled one instance of perma death being debated for the series. When he first entered the company some 14 years back, Nintendo was working on the design phase for 1996's Super Famicom Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu. The design document that he first saw for the game had "You can die up to five times" written in it, something that he protested to the game's director.

For New Mystery of the Emblem, Higuchi felt that this was a point that could not be negotiated. However, after talks with Nintendo, they came to the conclusion that beginner players may be put off after just hearing that your allies will not return to life after being killed. Maeda noted that beginner players wouldn't know about the trick where you can reset if you want to get the character back.

To make the game enjoyable for beginner players, they originally tried to make it so that one of the modes of difficulty would make allies return for the next fight. However, under the thinking that advanced players would want to play the harder difficulties but still have their allies return, they untied the feature from the difficulty settings. Regardless of difficulty setting, you can play the game with perma death on by selecting "Classic Mode, " or switch perma death off by selecting "Casual Mode."
    hehehehe figured it went like this!

Also new feature:

Elsewhere in the interview, the team introduced a new feature that players who've already picked up the game (it sees official release today, but, as usual, some shops were selling it in advance) have probably stumbled upon. Even when the game is off, time flows in the game world. Your characters will head off on their own in search of items and also build experience. You can see what types of items your characters have gathered by visiting the pre battle prep screen.

Banned.

BG Level

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/23484

Today they released what is arguably one of the biggest – the inclusion of BS Fire Emblem: Record of Akeneia Wars as bonus content.

BS Fire Emblem – with the "BS" standing for "Broadcast Satellite" – was released for the Super Famicom satellite receiver Satellaview in 1997, and then again in 1999. The game serves as a prequel to the first Fire Emblem game, which was remade for the Nintendo DS two years ago.
    How did I miss this?