Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Synergy Skill-up Guide?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Synergy Skill-up Guide?

So I've put off grinding my synergy skill for a long time now, but it looks like I gotta put in the time for a bunch of these new synths.

I'm currently at level 4 synergy and I only got this far through the bonecraft smock route which sucks ass. I'll maybe get 0.1 skillups once every 6 synth attempts, if even that much. Am I doing it wrong? Someone told me he sat there doing smock synths for 5 hours and hit level 40 but I call pure BS on that.

Anyone got a quick and dirty guide for skilling up quick? Any suggestions or tips? Should I forget this crap-ass smock route? I'd consider doing juices but it seems like a waste of time gathering a crapload of mats and pumping out trash juices to NPC, but it looks like I might be going that route.

Which way did you guys end up using?

Thanks for any help in advance. :kickface:

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Grab yourself about 4-5 stacks of fire fewell to start, 2 vitriols and all the leaves for the various ____ nugget synergizes.

Start at the bottom and work your way up. Just spam feed fire fewell and eat the explosions.

Wait for disease to wear, rinse, and repeat. It takes a long ass time but it doesnt cost that much.

Myr said I should dodge roll
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fiendish One
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Easiest is to spam fewell feed but don't successfully finish the synth. Basically it's break synthing without losing the ingredients.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

think i did:
    bone apron to 40
    mythril nugget to 50
    gold nugget to 60
    platinum nugget to 70

i've found it easiest to spam earth fewell with haste up because the slow will not overwrite

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Didn't you find that starting at 0 to 40, the skillups are painfully bad? You just sucked it up and lived with 1x 0.2 every 4 synths?

Are there low level nugget recipes too?

There's gotta be some sorta fast track method, this is killing me

Thanks for the suggestions though.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

try something between 6-9 levels above your current skill level

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Buy or make a ton of dark/light fewell and spam a crafting apron from after level 10. Least I did and it both works and doesn't take up as much invent.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I think I started off for a few levels with like apple juice or something, then carpenter's mitts, then apron, then the nugget path.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

0-50 mythril nugget
    50-60 gold nugget

RDM-composure-haste spam feeding earth. Make the earth fewell or have a friend do it. Goto town, super easy.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I definitely suggest using a wind based synergy or earth if you can haste yourself, saves a lot of time and annoyance removing debuffs. If not, anything with fire is a good bet, because you can simply spam enter even after disengaging the furnace. No reason to not attempt thwacking, a successful thwack can give skill ups and eliminates the need to re-engage the furnace. Plus its very quick message.

If you have a lot of dark fewell you're willing to burn through, pressure lever and purity options are also very fast to spam, seems like more chance at skill per time spent.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I wouldn't suggest feeding fire fewell while diseased, as that makes you spend 4~5 fire fewell instead of 1 per feeding.

Also, wind element explosions will also make you lose large portions of fewell, wasting money.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Seems like I don't get many skillups on my apron.... you guys experience this? Synth levels way above yours give less skillups than ones 5-8 above your level?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Just use the highest recipe for the current skill cap (Platinum Nugget at 70).
    Skill up rates is flat - Doesn't matter if you are 70 levels under or 2 levels under.
    -> It will blow up a lot more but you can spam a few more feeds while its exploding anyway.
    -> RDM/WHM, haste yourself and spam recipes with earth fewell in it. That way you don't get any status effects to interrupt the spamming. Wind and Thunder works ok if you don't have haste.

Skill up rate appears to be ~5-10% of (feed) actions performed, no change after lvl 50 either.
    I still got 0.2 skillups from 60-70.

196 Skillups/2408 Actions from 20 to 50(8.14%) (stopped counting after, though I have records until 60) - Used Panetiere
    33/566 from 50-55 (5.83%)
    36/616 from 55-60 (5.84%)

Total Average = 265/3590 ~= 7.38%
    This appears to be roughly equivalent to T1 HQ rates to get a skillup proc. These data are taken without apron.

No point taking further results so I stopped there.

-> No noticeable "sweetspot".
    ---------
    Spamming fewell...at least you can go read something else while you get carpal tunnel hitting enter.
    The fast track for synergy is simply to find the method that you will be least interrupted by spamming the enter key.
    > The idea of using recipes <5 levels is simply to be able to spam several more feeds before it blows, but it otherwise doesn't really save much time.
    > Skip thwacking or any other fancy methods of skilling up. You can't entertain yourself with more worthwhile endeavours while hitting enter.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I found that thwacking sucks in general when skilling up, this is because:

a) you gotta pay attention, navigate menu, select thwack, etc and is less mindless-enter mashing
    b) it really kills your furnace HP bar a lot faster, dramatically faster, which means your ratio of "potential skillup actions"/total time invested drops a lot, since when your furnace dies you gotta go through all that damn menu waiting, removing item from furnace, getting claim on furnace, trading item, all over again.

Just my 2 cents. After I came to the realization that I shouldn't do anything but FEED FEWELL to get skillups, it's really not too bad. When I was getting 0.1 outta 4 synths, that was because I was feeding and thwacking. Without thwacking, I'm getting some decent skillups, I've seen up to 0.6 in 1 synth, and that's at lv8 synergy doing a 40 recipe.

TL;DR - fuck thwacking, mash that feed

Just my 2 cents, thanks for all the advice everyone.

On a side note, does anyone know if feeding the WRONG elemental fewell will still give you skill ups? I can confirm 100% that feeding fewell levels of the correct element, but going OVER the required amount will still yield skillups. If it's at 99 and I keep feeding, is it still possible to get skillups? ie. I'm lazy and love to mash enter

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I have tried feeding a fewell that did not go into the recipe and never received a skillup. We are talking ~ 6 orbs worth of fewell and nothing. While I suppose I could have just been unlucky.. I would wager a guess that to get a skillup, the fewell you feed needs to be used in the recipe. I am about to go on a skillup ramapge and will post if I get a skillup when the element is 99+.

Edit: Just got a skillup on Gold Nugget recipe feeding Earth fewell when it was already @ 99. What I don't know is if it had a chance to leak down to 98 between feedings.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by dem0nfr0g View Post
    I have tried feeding a fewell that did not go into the recipe and never received a skillup. We are talking ~ 6 orbs worth of fewell and nothing. While I suppose I could have just been unlucky.. I would wager a guess that to get a skillup, the fewell you feed needs to be used in the recipe. I am about to go on a skillup ramapge and will post if I get a skillup when the element is 99+.

Edit: Just got a skillup on Gold Nugget recipe feeding Earth fewell when it was already @ 99. What I don't know is if it had a chance to leak down to 98 between feedings.
    I can confirm your suspicions on this.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Being @ or above a recipe cap makes your impurity level cap at 5 per feeding. For each level below the recipe, this increases by 1 up to a certain number. So yea, you could in theory go 1-70 off 1 recipe, but expect wasting time to explosions every 3rd feeding until the 40-50s.

I just did the nugget recipe relevant to each rank, made the skillup go much faster. Takes 2~3 hours for 10 levels unless you get a lucky streak.

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

What I do is use the Wind Crystals I get from bird parties, and spam Empire Earring. This saves me a lot of gil, and hassle in finding an alchemist to T3 a fewel recipe. I'm 90% certain you can't get skill ups on recipes that don't contain the element you need to feed it. Empire Earring goes up to 50, and it cost 13k for both the waystone and the earring. When I get a few earth crystals, I use those to spam the Platinum Nugget recipe. I'm at 23 skill so far and I only go to Upper Jeuno to skill up when I'm lfp. The thing is, with the Upper Jeuno furnaces, if you stand right behind it, near the cathedral, the knockback from the wind explosion will not push you out of range of the furnace. So you can just sit there and spam wind fewel.