+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 77 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 ... LastLast

It's the trademark personality, the car is kind of designed around that look. I've just always though it looks odd without it.

Quote Originally Posted by *Shinzon* View Post
    It's the trademark personality, the car is kind of designed around that look. I've just always though it looks odd without it.
    I grew tired of it after 3 years, and now I really get less attention all around, which is a plus.

another angle.
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1011/...17ae4511_b.jpg

i took the photos. Im not a professional by any means, I just know the basics of how to use a dslr and some post processing in PS.

Quote Originally Posted by alim View Post
    I grew tired of it after 3 years, and now I really get less attention all around, which is a plus.

i took the photos. Im not a professional by any means, I just know the basics of how to use a dslr and some post processing in PS.
    That's pretty good then, because I've seen professional photos that have looked worse, nice work.

For comparison here's one that is professionally taken. Not that this one is worse, but your pics are gewd.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3219/...2f3bb91d_b.jpg

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by alim View Post

another angle.

Love wingless - but I think it only works with a drop. Great looking car, so clean. Good shots as well, you live in a pretty area!

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

That's pretty good then, because I've seen professional photos that have looked worse, nice work.

For comparison here's one that is professionally taken. Not that this one is worse, but your pics are gewd.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3219/...2f3bb91d_b.jpg
    That picture is panned. It may take an amateur or enthusiast 15-20 times to get that car in focus while panning the camera, and you still may not hit the thirds and get everything you want in frame. A very very difficult technique. The pictures pop mostly because he contrasted his cool blue car (receding color) against a warm red and yellow (both advancing colors). Just really intelligent use of color.

Anywho, nerd off. I don't like the wingless look either, Looks so odd, I think because the trunk is so small.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    That picture is panned. It may take an amateur or enthusiast 15-20 times to get that car in focus while panning the camera, and you still may not hit the thirds and get everything you want in frame. A very very difficult technique. The pictures pop mostly because he contrasted his cool blue car (receding color) against a warm red and yellow (both advancing colors). Just really intelligent use of color.

Anywho, nerd off. I don't like the wingless look either, Looks so odd, I think because the trunk is so small.
    Did I make it seem like it was bad? I was just trying to say that his pic was good using that for comparison D:

Edit: They're completely different pics though so I supposed I see where you are going now with that ._. I don't know shit about taking pictures :/

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Sorry, just seemed like you weren't giving the pro enough credit for a tough shot. The other pictures are great though, having an eye for that can take a photo from good to great. Color contrasting is almost always overlooked in amateur photography.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

For the hawkeye STi, you should try to get your hands on a trunk with one of the limited spoilers. Would look nice on the WRB >.>

Spoiler: show

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Oh, a bug eyed subie with WRC headlight mod... too bad it isn't yours Nice STI Alim.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Issah Grimes
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4290/picture1obf.png

Day to day.

http://commercialnews.autoconx.com/p...212063_1_B.jpg

If i have to go anywhere that is farther then 6mi's or I need to pick something up that wont fit in my bag

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

So, I have a question for all you fellow car guys. I love Lotus, I love the fuck out of them. Ideally until I live another 20 years and can afford a new GTR I'd like to pick up an Elise (or Exige but lolprice) within the next 7 or 8, sooner if possible obviously.

Thing is that the lowest I see any used Elise for is around $20,000+

So, first question I guess would be what would be the most you would pay for a used Elise?

Second I guess would be what, if any, cheaper cars besides the vauxhall vr220(?) handle and perform like a lotus but don't cost as much?

I love speed but honestly, there's just something about above-perfection handling quality in the newer lotus cars that drive me insane. I think it would be absolutely amazing to own one.

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    So, I have a question for all you fellow car guys. I love Lotus, I love the fuck out of them. Ideally until I live another 20 years and can afford a new GTR I'd like to pick up an Elise (or Exige but lolprice) within the next 7 or 8, sooner if possible obviously.

Thing is that the lowest I see any used Elise for is around $20,000+

So, first question I guess would be what would be the most you would pay for a used Elise?

Second I guess would be what, if any, cheaper cars besides the vauxhall vr220(?) handle and perform like a lotus but don't cost as much?

I love speed but honestly, there's just something about above-perfection handling quality in the newer lotus cars that drive me insane. I think it would be absolutely amazing to own one.
    Depends on the way the lotus was used to address your first question. If it's a track car, beat to hell, which is what most people buy a Lotus for; Low 20s is probably about right but it's going to be a car that has significant wear on it. I'd say a more reasonable price is probably 30-40, 40 being a pristine used but almost new car, lots available.

To answer the second question, lotus is really in a class of it's own. I can't really see anything that compares to it, unrealistically impractical and bare-bones, other than a Caterham or a car like it.

Edit: One car that compares, the Ariel Atom.

Formerly known as Arcknight.
    BG Level

I love Lotus, I love the fuck out of them.
    I love you. Best auto maker in the world imo.

To answer your question...

An 05 or 06 Elise is your best bet if you're looking anywhere close to $25,000. Don't buy one with over 18k miles. Pretty much all 07+ Elises are well over $30,000.

I considered an 2005 Elise with 11k miles a few years ago and that quickly came to an end when I was getting insurance quotes. Insurance was going to be around $450 a month (at the time I was 21) while the payment was around $480 ($26,000 @ 4% APR). Also I didn't have a mortgage at the time so money really wasn't the issue.

I recently found out that "collector car" insurance is definately the way to go. I just ran a quote with Hagerty Insurance for $1240/year which is just ridiculous for a car like that with a 24 year old behind the wheel.

Yay a "your car" thread!

Here's my old 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (I sold due to overwhelming mechanical problems...)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/100_0474.jpg
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/100_0480.jpg
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...2081925a-1.jpg

Anyways, I figured that I'd get something bigger, to haul around my 6'8" ass. (and have some fun in lol)

This is my 1993 Chevrolet S-10, 4.3L v6.

The bottom pic is old, you can notice I haven't tinted it or straightened the bumper yet. Since then I also removed the black air deflector from the bottom of the bumper.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...07115139-1.jpg
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q.../100_0654a.jpg

While I do love my truck, I would give so much to be able to drive my Eclipse again.

Predictably Unpredictable
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Edit: One car that compares, the Ariel Atom.
    Love the Atom.. I'd love to drive one of those someday. Saw two on the road a couple weeks ago and they looked awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcknight View Post
    I considered an 2005 Elise with 11k miles a few years ago and that quickly came to an end when I was getting insurance quotes. Insurance was going to be around $450 a month (at the time I was 21) while the payment was around $480 ($26,000 @ 4% APR). Also I didn't have a mortgage at the time so money really wasn't the issue.

I recently found out that "collector car" insurance is definately the way to go. I just ran a quote with Hagerty Insurance for $1240/year which is just ridiculous for a car like that with a 24 year old behind the wheel.
    Doesn't "Collector Car" insurance limit you on miles? How many miles did you say you drove on your $450/mo quote? That just seems pretty ridiculous.

Edit: Just got back from an autocross and now I'm at work.. but wanted to say, I love me some Hankook R-S3s. Insane street tires..

Comparable to an elise..?

What's your price range?

07 MX-5 you can find for about 17 Grand give or take. Budget in another 10-13 grand for Turbo/Supercharger + Tuning and suspension work. You'll smoke any elise/exige on autocross no problem.

If you want to go even farther, skip the turbo/sc drop in an LS3 in there, and there isn't much of anything on the road that is going to touch you.

I know a couple people that have elise/exige's and they all say the same shit. Prepare for a lot of tinkering, a lot of repairs, and a lot of minor annoyances. By minor annoyances I mean rattles and unwanted road noise. These are "garage queen" cars too, driven less than a month each year I would say is a fair estimate.

They love their cars, don't get me wrong, but as with most exotics..... they come at a price.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Arcknight View Post
    I love you. Best auto maker in the world imo.

To answer your question...

An 05 or 06 Elise is your best bet if you're looking anywhere close to $25,000. Don't buy one with over 18k miles. Pretty much all 07+ Elises are well over $30,000.

Was this a used lotus from a lotus dealership if you were offered financing? Because honestly, if I can finance one I can probably land one realistically in 2-3 years but buying outright would be near impossible.

Also how did you qualify for "collector car" insurance?

I drive under 10,000 miles a year these days. Probably closer to 7,000 and under honestly, which is really helpful. Thing is that when I do drive anywhere besides the a to b daily grind I like to have as much fun as possible. I wouldn't be too concerned with a 30,000-40,000 mile lotus assuming it wasn't a primarily track-beater.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by sekaran View Post
    Doesn't "Collector Car" insurance limit you on miles? How many miles did you say you drove on your $450/mo quote? That just seems pretty ridiculous.
    Yeah it's either 12 or 14k miles a year on collector car insurance. If you own an Elise it's definately going to be your second car. The $450/month quote was the average quote I got with the big companies (Geico, Progressive, Allstate, etc.). Even if I drove a fuckin' new Hyundai it was going to be at least $300 a month... and I have a clean record.

BG Level

Was this a used lotus from a lotus dealership if you were offered financing? Because honestly, if I can finance one I can probably land one realistically in 2-3 years but buying outright would be near impossible.

Also how did you qualify for "collector car" insurance?
    My bank/credit union will finance any car as long as it's under 6 years old and if the price is within something like 2% of the NADA value. At the time the average Elise with 11k miles was going for roughly 30-32k.

I honestly have no idea what the qualifications for the insurance is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag