+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 77 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Someone post a pic of a vuvuzela exhaust on a civic please.

Assanginator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    Dude, get a VTEC, throw on a CAI, massive can and some flames/NOS stickers and you'll be running 11s in no time(forget the AC and roll your windows up, if you sweat it makes your engine run harder)

oh and if the flames don't seem to be working, get a wing, you're probably not getting enough downforce for them to kick in properly

Spoiler: show
    in all honesty, you're not going to see significant improvements from a CAI and an exhaust, so if you have financial issues buying a late 90s civic just save the money, 6 hp isn't gonna make your shit pop
    So pretty much, the best thing would be to get a new engine for the galant?
    I have no financial problems with that, research showed VTEC was within the limit, but I'd have to wait to paint it up and fix brake/alignment problems.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by pogejr View Post
    So pretty much, the best thing would be to get a new engine for the galant?
    I have no financial problems with that, research showed VTEC was within the limit, but I'd have to wait to paint it up and fix brake/alignment problems.
    Did you read the whole thing man? If you're not technically inclined I really don't think you should be considering an engine swap, especially not a honda into a shitsubishi.. basically you're not going to have much of a race car for 3 grand, get something reliable to take you to work

Quote Originally Posted by Akumaronin View Post
    For good gear prices, you might want to see if there's a rider forum for your area. I know that here in California we have BARF (Bay Area Riders Forum), which is a huge force in the moto community. Lots of charity events, rider safety training at high schools, etc.

I got my Shift suit for $250 because the guy bought it and didn't realize it didn't fit. He wore it less than a half dozen times. Great suit, even if it doesn't have pucks (as if you really need those unless you're an A group rider or a racer. )
    Go to a store, price their items and try shit on for sizing, then order from MotorcycleSuperstore.com. They've usually got the best prices on everything and guarantee lowest prices. I've used Revzilla.com too because they have good sale prices and are near me so shipping was fast and free.

I just bought a Joe Rocket Carbon Fibre helmet in a translucent blue for $200, it's a $400 helmet.

Sanoske

I'm also trying to get a fun ride/ street-racing so I plan on buying some part to mod it (i.e. cold air intake/ exhaust).

I'm thinking of getting a 95-99' Honda Civic.
    I need a Honda flowchart.

Do you like having more than 100HP? - Yes - Don't get a Honda.
    l
    No?
    l
    Buy a Honda!

I'm actually only partly serious. I do have a softspot for some of the older hatchbacks, and I know the potential in those motors. (So nobody needs to get a serious and flip out.)

Edit: 3500 isnt going to get you much unless you really know what to look for, and you have people who might know some places to buy that the average joe isnt looking. (Friends, contacts, etc)

I put my VW together for around 3.5G tho.
    -700 for 2000 Golf with a blown 2.0 motor and auto tranny
    -1500 for donor 2001 Jetta, got 1.8T and 5spd from it, came chipped.
    -400 for wiring harnesses (Junkyard screwup/personal mistakes cost us a bit)
    -550 for coilovers
    -150 for Hella tails
    Granted it took us about 8 months to do this all, since theres not exactly a manual/guide for this kinda thing. Doing it in spare time after work/class/etc. And I had a working car so there was no rush.

If you have friends/relatives who know cars, somehow enlisting their help can make a world of difference in how far you can stretch your money. Im very lucky to have a father who is a mechanical genius, otherwise I'd be probably be driving a pos.

Predictably Unpredictable
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

2005 G35 Coupe.. lightly modified.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/2...40965hdfgl.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/36/jr1n7710.jpg

First courtesy of Beshoff. Second courtesy of GotBlueMilk when I was at Thunderhill this past Friday.

I've been contemplating trading it in for a '06-'07 STI or an EvoX.. who knows if I'll actually do it though.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanoske View Post
    I put my VW together for around 3.5G tho.
    I was typing a response to your orginal post but deleted it, but basically yeah, you might be able to make a honda quick for 3grand, but if you say things like "My AC makes loud noises when i turn it on" and "sometimes it wont start" i feel like you might not possess the necessary skills or technology to perform a task of that magnitude

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Quixon View Post
    I posted one in the last thread, to which people tried telling me I was bull shitting and it wasn't mine. I planned on meeting a few BG'ers at Englishtown Raceway Park, and of course none of them showed up. I'll see what I can find picture wise, all my old pictures got fucked when my old computer crashed.

The Miata is a MUCH better handling car in my opinion. That was not until I changed out the front and rear sway bars and added the front strut tower bar (So around $1,000 in mods to surpass the S2K in handling). The Miata is obviously not as powerful as the S2K, but the Miata is also a lot lighter (50/50 power/weight ratio bone stock).

I'm considering an LS1 (V8) swap once I have gotten all I can out of this 2.0 Liter. I will either go with that, or toss a supercharger in the stock 2.0 Liter. I want to get into Autocross eventually, so the supercharger will help more with that than the turbo will. That won't be for a while though, the Ohlins coilovers that are coming in soon set me back almost $2,800 alone >_<;;

I did run the car at Limerock Park in Connecticut a couple weekends ago. That was a blast.
    Any reason you chose to go with the Ohlins over Fatcats? I know alot of the Miata autoxers in my area seem to go with the Fatcats.

another question: Do you guys know anything about Lotus Exiges ?

I'm looking at a new car (Not a daily driver, but a weekend driver) when we move.

Ive been thinking about this and a Nissan 370Z

Quote Originally Posted by Ace-o-fire View Post
    another question: Do you guys know anything about Lotus Exiges ?

I'm looking at a new car (Not a daily driver, but a weekend driver) when we move.

Ive been thinking about this and a Nissan 370Z
    Exige: Not daily drivers unless you are really, really hardcore, never have to carry stuff, and are a minimalist, the top of the line model of the Elise. They're trackday/weekend/fun cars with no practicality. They around around 75k~ new, and close to 50k used, mostly because they aren't driven every day. Incredibly durable though because of the Toyota sourced engines.

The 370 is kind of a rough ride, also not pratical (no storage space and kind of over priced) but a good car, I'd personally wait for the new sedan WRX/STI models that will start hitting showroom floors this fall because they are more practical, more fun, and easier to tune.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I know an Exige is quite a bit more than the 370Z.. I'd sit in one first.. you may not like the plopping down into the seat. And its way more of a track car than the 370Z. More raw, etc. No practicality at all.

Though if I were getting a weekend car in that range, it'd be hard to pass up a used Cayman S.

Quote Originally Posted by sekaran View Post
    I know an Exige is quite a bit more than the 370Z.. I'd sit in one first.. you may not like the plopping down into the seat.

Though if I were getting a weekend car in that range, it'd be hard to pass up a used Cayman S.
    well id be getting a used exige or a new 370 Ive been in a exige before i know it's tiny, but i'm a tiny man so it's all good there.

Storage wise i don't care to much enough for an overnight bag or so, mostly it'll be for weekend trips to the in-laws (fuckers), also we will be living about 30 miles away from a club track that's why i was thinking exige.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace-o-fire View Post
    well id be getting a used exige or a new 370 Ive been in a exige before i know it's tiny, but i'm a tiny man so it's all good there.
    Dunno if you saw my post on the last page but you should check it out if you didn't. Neither of the two cars you are interested in should be your only car just because they aren't really designed for the purpose of everyday driving. Also the Exige is going to be a minimum of 20 grand more expensive than the Z, realistically probably no less than 50k. You may want to price an Elise instead, which can be had for 30-40k used if it's been driven enough.

Quote Originally Posted by *Shinzon* View Post
    Dunno if you saw my post on the last page but you should check it out if you didn't. Neither of the two cars you are interested in should be your only car just because they aren't really designed for the purpose of everyday driving. Also the Exige is going to be a minimum of 20 grand more expensive than the Z, realistically probably no less than 50k. You may want to price an Elise instead, which can be had for 30-40k used if it's been driven enough.
    oh it wont be it'll be my 4th car. (98 civic)-mine (06 sentra 06 pacifica)- fiancee

i went to a dealer and he just had in the basic models for the Elise I haven't seen the SC or the 240, but i'll have to see other places

I'm in the market for something about 50kish, with the Z I'll tune it, but with everything else i'll slap on some flame decals and call it a day.

Assanginator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    I was typing a response to your orginal post but deleted it, but basically yeah, you might be able to make a honda quick for 3grand, but if you say things like "My AC makes loud noises when i turn it on" and "sometimes it wont start" i feel like you might not possess the necessary skills or technology to perform a task of that magnitude
    lol alright. The problems:
    1) Wheels aren't properly aligned.
    2) Timing Belt is off; replaced about 5 times already but still not fixing the problem (believe this causes loud screeching noise heard from A/C)
    3) Fading Paint (not really that big of a deal)
    4) Battery Problems (Just replaced it not too long ago; problem with car failing stopped from frequent to occasional)
    5) Entire suspension for the car is horrid

I'm not mechanically tech savvy which is why I need advise on this issue. What would be the best course of action and could you guys provide more options. I care that the car can have a little kick, but I need something decent to drive first. What are some good car options for 2000-4000 USD, if you please.

Ridill
    BG Level

Are you concerned about mileage?

Looks?

Durability?

Or just want a cheap sports car?

And when you say 2k stock/3.5k modded, do you mean you'll pay up to 3.5k for a modded car, or 2k for a stock +1.5k modding, or 2k for car + 3.5k modding?

And then, are you talking about modding yourself or are you paying for labor?

Assanginator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    Are you concerned about mileage?

Looks?

Durability?

Or just want a cheap sports car?

And when you say 2k stock/3.5k modded, do you mean you'll pay up to 3.5k for a modded car, or 2k for a stock +1.5k modding, or 2k for car + 3.5k modding?

And then, are you talking about modding yourself or are you paying for labor?
    Not too concerned about mileage. Looks are a plus, but also not too concerned about that. Durability, yes. I don't want a car that keeps breaking down, which is why I'm in search of a new car.

I'm really not looking for a cheap sports car. I just thought modding a car would be a fun thing to do, and I'm tired of being out-kicked by a freakin hybrid. And yes, I am rethinking the entire thought of that right now.

I meant 2k for a stock and 1.5k for modding, but I can do any variation of that with the total cost being ~4000 USD. Not hoping to pass that marker though.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by sekaran View Post
    awwww skeet skeet. I'm thinkin about gettin this when I get another job. I'm just not sure if it's worth it with monthly payments and my shit credit. I've wanted a Coupe since they were introduced though. I see them for around 12-14k

Has it ever given you much trouble?

G35s

Ridill
    BG Level

Not too concerned about mileage. Looks are a plus, but also not too concerned about that. Durability, yes. I don't want a car that keeps breaking down, which is why I'm in search of a new car.

I'm really not looking for a cheap sports car. I just thought modding a car would be a fun thing to do, and I'm tired of being out-kicked by a freakin hybrid. And yes, I am rethinking the entire thought of that right now.

I meant 2k for a stock and 1.5k for modding, but I can do any variation of that with the total cost being ~4000 USD. Not hoping to pass that marker though.
    You sound like you'd like a Wrangler, honestly.

Should be able to get an early TJ in that price range, and while it's not fast, it's not going to get clowned by a Civic, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanoske View Post
    I need a Honda flowchart.
    -550 for coilovers

WTF Coilovers did you find for $550? I couldn't even find any cheap ebay shits for that price. My Ohlin's Coilovers were $2,600, and they were on sale lol. They are obviously on the expensive end though, your average coilover set up for the Miata is still near $1500 though.

I chose the Ohlin's based on recommendation by a well known miata track driver (Brian Goodwin), and the fact that they are the best, quality wise, that you can buy. If I only drove my car in the spring/summer, or when it was nice out, I would have gone with something a bit cheaper. I needed the coil overs to survive NY weather, as I still enjoy driving the car in the rain and in the winter time.

I would pass on the Lotus tbh. I know a few people that own Elise's and Exiges. They all rattle like crazy, and it's apparently just something you have to deal with. They also need constant "tinkering" if you are doing anything other than just driving them down the road. Also, take into account the increased repair costs you will be subject too. If you aren't comfortable working on the car yourself, you are going to be paying out the ass for even the simplest of repairs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 77 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag