Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

It wasn't just a grindfest... it was a grindfest with HATS
    You can't even tell me you weren't stoked when you got your first Sakkat assuming you played way back in the day.

It wasn't about sakkats, it was all about the bunny headband for me. I think I killed those fucking plants for DAYS before I got one.

But yeah, the amount of fucking glee you get when you get the hat you want is insane. I don't know why, most of those fucking things are useless and/or ugly.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Drop rates in the original RO were so ridiculous. So much grinding.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Anyone remember when RO got hacked? :D

Good times

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth View Post
    Drop rates in the original RO were so ridiculous. So much grinding.
    Yep. I played on regular ones for a while and just decided to go onto a p server. There's like millions of p servers lol with varying drop rates/exp rates set. So its easy to pick one.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Anyone remember when RO got hacked? :D

Good times
    THE ROLLBACKS!

Pservers are god awful. They were pretty good back in the day (2003-05) but now they are infested with cash shops aka donation items.

And RO is no more of a grind than any other MMO. The big difference between RO and others though, is the fact that RO just drops you into the world and leaves you to fend for yourself. There is no questing of any sort. Well there are quests but they are pretty shit.

I never cared about hats much. I am pretty big on card hunting/mvping/over upgrading though. RO is my favorite MMO to this day and I've played since beta so I am specially hopeful/weary/excited about Legend of the Second. Really they should have made RO2 exactly like this the first time around. They lost a lot of valuable time.

Lol, if you're donating or paying on Pservers you're doing it wrong. Pservers are all about nostalgia blasts without the shit in your face. And RO is no more of a grind than other Korean MMOs (I can't actually say this as truth, but still) but it's a hell of a grind compared to western MMOs.

So yes, it's more of a grind, a lot more. More than you should have to put up with.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

P servers weren't that bad, I found a good few of them that were a lot of fun, especially the lower population ones.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Lol, if you're donating or paying on Pservers you're doing it wrong. Pservers are all about nostalgia blasts without the shit in your face. And RO is no more of a grind than other Korean MMOs (I can't actually say this as truth, but still) but it's a hell of a grind compared to western MMOs.

So yes, it's more of a grind, a lot more. More than you should have to put up with.
    This, basically. I still go and find some random private server to play for like a week once every few months, good times.

I love laughing at all the people who are like RO FUCKING SERIOUS BUSINESS BYAAAAAGH RO PRIVATE SERVER DRAMA BYAAAAAAAAAAAH

Which MMOs in particular? Everquest? huge grind. WoW? Another huge grind except this one is quest based. FFXI? bigger grind than RO probably. It all comes down to the delivery of that grind and how it's spread out. Also, even if YOU don't donate/pay for for Pservers yourself, hundreds of others will and that will make PvP/WoE/MvPing a very unpleasant experience for everybody else.

And it's hard to find a server that does provide that orignal RO experience these days. It's all GAINT FUCKING ANIME WINGS EVERYWHERE AND BLINDING AURAS.

Ryko's Full of Lies and Johns
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ryuu Akaneiro
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Dunemaul

It's so fucking easy to get a 99 in RO that anyone actually trying to make an argument about it being a time sink is a moron and doesn't know what the fuck.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Akanei View Post
    It's so fucking easy to get a 99 in RO that anyone actually trying to make an argument about it being a time sink is a moron and doesn't know what the fuck.
    Kyne bot

Quote Originally Posted by 100percentile View Post
    Which MMOs in particular? Everquest? huge grind. WoW? Another huge grind except this one is quest based. FFXI? bigger grind than RO probably. It all comes down to the delivery of that grind and how it's spread out. Also, even if YOU don't donate/pay for for Pservers yourself, hundreds of others will and that will make PvP/WoE/MvPing a very unpleasant experience for everybody else.

And it's hard to find a server that does provide that orignal RO experience these days. It's all GAINT FUCKING ANIME WINGS EVERYWHERE AND BLINDING AURAS.
    All MMOs are designed to be a grind, RO is just a bigger grind than the rest. This is because the system is so primative and poorly designed it doesn't help the average player to achieve a goal like WoW or FFXI does.

Sure, the first time to 99 might not be that long (haha, no, it is), but then you get to start again at level 1! Only this grind is 3x longer than the first grind! Yaaaaay. It's not like leveling up as a group is a viable option, usually it's "MY TURN, LEVEL ME UP GUYS" rather than a group of people trying to max out.

Being level 99 isn't enough in RO, a level 99 non-transcendant character is worthless, you need to rebirth and get 99 again to be useful in endgame. That's a long fucking grind.

All MMOs are designed to be a grind, RO is just a bigger grind than the rest. This is because the system is so primative and poorly designed it doesn't help the average player to achieve a goal like WoW or FFXI does.
    Yep. The game doesn't hold your hand, I already stated that but you didn't say in which ways the game is a bigger grind than WoW/FFXI. Also, FFXI is also terribly designed and primitive. There's a story but if you don't look hard for it you will never experience it. It takes much longer to 75 in FFXI than it does to 99 in RO.

Sure, the first time to 99 might not be that long (haha, no, it is), but then you get to start again at level 1! Only this grind is 3x longer than the first grind! Yaaaaay. It's not like leveling up as a group is a viable option, usually it's "MY TURN, LEVEL ME UP GUYS" rather than a group of people trying to max out.

Being level 99 isn't enough in RO, a level 99 non-transcendant character is worthless, you need to rebirth and get 99 again to be useful in endgame. That's a long fucking grind.
    No longer than FFXI's grind. Also, you do have to start over from level 1, except by now you should be pretty familiar with the game, have friends to help you out, money/gear, etc. And you don't need to 99 your rebirth in RO. You can start WoE/MvPing/etc long before that.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Yep. The game doesn't hold your hand, I already stated that but you didn't say in which ways the game is a bigger grind than WoW/FFXI. Also, FFXI is also terribly designed and primitive. There's a story but if you don't look hard for it you will never experience it. It takes much longer to 75 in FFXI than it does to 99 in RO.

No longer than FFXI's grind. Also, you do have to start over from level 1, except by now you should be pretty familiar with the game, have friends to help you out, money/gear, etc. And you don't need to 99 your rebirth in RO. You can start WoE/MvPing/etc long before that.
    Uh, what, no.

Unless they upped the exp a ton from years ago, but even still, no, no.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I think after all these years, RO is still my favorite MMO, the environnement and music are just that good. Bout time for RO2, may try it.

Yep. The game doesn't hold your hand, I already stated that but you didn't say in which ways the game is a bigger grind than WoW/FFXI.
    Pretty much, you grind hardcore for just about everything. Money, MVPs, EXP, items, cards, EVERYTHING.
    And seriously, if you think RO's grind is close to FFXI, you must have Bernard's magic fucking watch.

And seriously, if you think RO's grind is close to FFXI, you must have Bernard's magic fucking watch.
    Just like how in FFXI you grind for money from the minute you hit level 10, you grind NMs to get some decent items, you grind exp on the same looking mobs you fought 40 levels ago, you grind your sub job, you grind trade skills, EVERYTHING. See how this goes? At least in RO you always get money from leveling so you won't have to stop and grind beehive chips for literally hours before you can advance again. Just leveling in RO will usually carry you through the game.

Also, if you think RO's leveling took longer than FFXI's you are just terrible at the game and probably gave up after you weren't told where to go every step of the way. My first 90+ in RO took me 3 months and 4 to 99. It takes many people a year + to hit 75 in FFXI.

Yeah, cause palette swaps don't exist in RO do they? You don't need to grind tradeskills at all to progress in the game or get rich.

Leveling subjobs is such a quick thing and once you're done with them, you don't ever have to touch them again unless you want to. Hell, if you only play one job, there's a chance you'll only need 2-3 subjobs leveled, and if you play more than 1 job, there's a big chance your subjobs will overlap. Lovely. What happens when you want to flirt with another job? You take it for a spin, easy. What happens when you want to try another job in RO? GRINDAN! Gotta grind more to find out what I like about this job, yay.

NMs are gay in both games, yet I bet you do more grindan in RO.

Money can be hard to come by in both games, yet I bet you do more grindan in RO.

EXP can be hard to get in both games, yet I bet you do more grindan in RO. The people who take a year to max out a job in FFXI would take 5 years to max out a job in RO.

If I'm getting this right, you spent 3 months getting to level 90, then another 4 months getting to 99? Lol, that's exactly the shitty grind I'm talking about, and apparently you're a fast leveler. Oh, was that the first or second time? Doesn't matter.