+ Reply to Thread
    Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

things to do/see in Chicago

Gonna be up in Chicago in 2 weeks for a concert (Pitchfork Music Festival), probably going to stay a bit on sunday too (maybe) Friday is booked with the show, but Saturday I'm looking for somethings to do/see around town that are cheapish, fun, and good to do with the girlfriend. Not really into the bar scene so you can exclude that, but other things would be great we are already considering Shedd Aquarium.

Also looking for cheapish hotel accomodations in the same area, so any suggestions on what is good and safe would be appreciated

Gentaro

I've been there back in 2003 (1 month after FFXI release - jeez that was bad planned ) and the things i enjoyed the most (besides the US-lifestyle as a european xD) were the aquarium and the sears tower...or willis tower by now >_>

My dad told me back then that theres a nice amusement park in Chicago....can't say much about it since i was there over christmas ^^

I hope that will help you somehow, have fun there

Been to Chicago a few times, and I enjoyed the Magnificent Mile. You can look up good restaurants on Zagat.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

LeBron

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Killgannon View Post
    we are already considering Shedd Aquarium.
    Of all the museums and the like that you can go to in Chicago, this is by far the best one. Highly recommend.

In all the years living there, I rarely ventured west of I-94, so I can't assist with your lodging issue. But there are all sorts of restaurants to go to. My favorites were:

Goose Island Brew Pub

Mario's Gold Coast

Ifrit's lolCudgel
    QQing is what I do best

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

If you're going to pitchfork, you're probably an indie/hipster fag. This will be catered to your dirty PBR-drinking ways:

Off the top of my head I know of a hostel near Broadway/Devon in Rogers Park. It's right near Loyola and a block and a half from the Granville Red Line. One of the cheaper options in the city. As for a cheap hotel, good luck finding something not in the suburbs or in the ghetto.

Go to Wicker Park and Bucktown, it is the mecca of hipster. A lot of independent shops, record places, etc... It's getting gentrified too so you'll find nicer shops/restaurants as well. The Damen Blue Line stop will drop you literally right in the center. There's a lot of stuff in Lakeview between Belmont and Fullerton off the Red/Brown/Purple lines. A lot of eclectic shops, restaurants and bars.

Also obligatory Shedd, Field Museum, Planetarium, Museum of Science & Industry, Willis(Sears) & Hancock skydeck additions. Pro-tip, if you want to see the view at the Hancock for free, go to the Signature Room. The price of a domestic beer is cheaper (or costs the same) than admission to the actual observatory deck. Plus Signature Room is one floor higher I believe.

Also, go to the parks/lakefront. Shit is awesome. Free zoo in Lincoln Park. (On Stockton between Fullerton and Diversey I think).

Also, why would you NOT hit up the bars? This city, in my opinion, is the best bar city in the USA. A lot of great bars that aren't which aren't expensive that are easily accessed by public transportation. Also pro-tip, try not to drive at all in the city. Traffic on summer weekends is hell.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I loved the aquarium... the other thing that really struck me touristy-wise was the Field Museum. I don't know how expensive it is but it really had a huge collection (HUGE) of taxidermied animals of all kinds, many extinct. A friend and I spent a good hour and a half JUST looking at the collection of birds they had (some of which were passenger pigeons, that really got to me). The giant walk they had that detailed the start of the earth's history til now was amazing too. I'm an animal lover though so I had a blast there but it might bore others, I dunno. Anyway, that's the thing that I liked the most.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Duskwood

Gonna be stationed here for about a year...so i should probably take some notes.

Formerly known as Arcknight.
    BG Level

There's a restaurant outside of Chicago called Bob Chinn's Crabhouse or something. Seats 1000+ people and the food was just amazing.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Seconding aquarium but don't bother with the show unless you're bringing kids or something

I liked the architecture boat tour, too

Willis Tower is sweet, they've got clear boxes suspended over the ground you can stand in and look down on the street below. It's a really bizarre feeling standing there.

Be sure to get a sandwich, chips, and cookie at Potbelly's. God damn those were good.

When I went we stayed in a hotel in Schaumburg and took the train in every day so we wouldn't have to deal with traffic. Saves a lot on parking and hotel room rates if you stay outside the city.

potbelly's exists everywhere >_>

but yeah, aquarium for sure. the bars in lincoln park are fairly decent, and river north.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Arvin View Post
    potbelly's exists everywhere >_>

but yeah, aquarium for sure. the bars in lincoln park are fairly decent, and river north.
    idk I've never seen one in florida, maybe we are just deprived

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

Cubs Game & Wrigleyville
    Shedd Aquarium
    Lincoln Park Zoo
    Michigan Avenue (magnificent mile)
    House of Blues (see if any of your favorite bands are playing there)
    North Avenue Beach
    Navy Pier
    Sears Tower (now called the Willis Tower)
    There's a Bajillion restaurants to go to
    If you have a lot of money go to Rockitt Bar & Grill, you'll probably see a celeb
    Second City
    Architectural River Boat Tour

and many more

Patron of Yin

BG Level

Oh yea, and AL'S ITALIAN BEEF

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Yeah, im thinking of staying in schaumburg because the girlfriend wants to go to IKEA...

If I catch the train in Schaumburg will I be within walking distance of Union Park as well?

Patron of Yin

BG Level

You'd probably have to take the Metra downtown and transfer to a CTA train and get off at the Ashland-Lake stop. I can't remember if it's the Green or Pink line.

Ifrit's lolCudgel
    QQing is what I do best

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Killgannon View Post
    Yeah, im thinking of staying in schaumburg because the girlfriend wants to go to IKEA...

If I catch the train in Schaumburg will I be within walking distance of Union Park as well?
    Either park/ride at a Blue Line Station or take a Metra train downtown, then transfer to either the Green or Pink Line to Ashland.

Since you're staying in Schaumburg, you'll either take the Milwaukee District West (MD-W) or the Union Pacific Northwest (UP-NW) into downtown. The MD-W drops off at Union Station so you can walk to the Loop and get on the L. The UP-NW drops off at Ogilivie which means you can just walk to the Clinton Pink/Green Line and get on the L there (note: don't get on a train that says Loop on it). Personally, I'd just park/ride from the Blue Line since it runs 24/7 and Metra does not.

I advise you to not wander around the neighborhood near Union Park. It's not exactly the safest.

Random: Also if you want something ultra-touristy, Navy Pier is where you can go. As a bonus, you can buy booze in to-go cups at the bars there and walk around Navy Pier with it!