+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

How far did you get. I think if you asked me how I liked it 15-20hrs in I may have shrugged it off. But the further I get into the storyline and the hunts the more and more I like it.

I think you should dust it off and do a play through. From one tactics fan to another, I'm with you. Tactics was my favorite console experience, period. It was the first time I was driven to beat the game not for the sake of beating the game but because I was emotionally attached the to the story line. (I think being a history buff helped) The gameplay compounded my desire to play through it. The system was spot on perfect compared to other tactics games (lolTactics Ogre. Ya I said it. tripling or quadrupling hp to artificially boost the difficulty of the game by dragging battles out is fucking stupid)

I think the reason I am starting to lean towards XII > Tactics is probably the hunt system alone. Not including the hunts, this is a 7/10 with Tactics being a 9/10. The hunts really are adding another +2-3 points to me loving this game.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I beat it right when it first came out and haven't played it since.

I doubt much will ever surpass tactics for me. Did you read the entire Germonik scriptures?

ExcaliMod

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

No I didn't actually. I know its the backbone to the storyline. Again, once I beat this I plan on going through tactics more throughly. I recently ordered another version of the guide and plan on picking it apart like I have with XII.

The more I think about it Sath, the more I think Ill keep Tactics above this. If anything I might be able to hold both in the same regards. The gameplay is drawing XII to a 10 in my book while the story kept Tactics at a 10 in my book.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yeah, definitely give Tactics another playthrough. It's so worth it.

Also play Vagrant Story if you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    I want to try the international edition eventually, and hopefully the redub for the PS3 comes to light (They said they want to do it)
    I haven't heard of this before, please make it be true Q_Q.

I enjoyed 12 a lot and was bummed that I have no way to play the int. version.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Loved FF12. Never did the hunters club fights. Should go back and do those one day to get my 100%.

I've started re-playing this recently too and I'm amazed I dumped 110 Hours on my first run and I didn't even get close to 100%-ing it. Makes me wonder what I was doing all that time.

Going to try and get a few more of the ultimate weapons and Espers this time but fuck Yiazmat this time round.

The only thing I didn't do in XII was beat Yaizmat. Fought for ages and lost to a power cut, after that I just wasn't bothered to try again.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

basically, with the int edition turned up on graphics (something the emulator does easily) 12 looks on par with many mid level PS3 and Xbox games, not the perfect looking people of 13 but certainly something they could pop out a translation for very easily and port over and sell for 20-30 bucks.

A remake that would have me immediately buy a ps3

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    basically, with the int edition turned up on graphics (something the emulator does easily) 12 looks on par with many mid level PS3 and Xbox games, not the perfect looking people of 13 but certainly something they could pop out a translation for very easily and port over and sell for 20-30 bucks.

A remake that would have me immediately buy a ps3
    What annoys me is if they just made the international version with an English translation (something so simple a bunch of fans did it themselves) they could have sold a ton more without the hassle of porting it.

If they ported it to PS3, as nice as that would be, it would be really stupid. It costs a lot more to make a port with updated graphics (rather than a simple translation) and on top of that a lot more people have PS2s than PS3s.

I doubt many people that don't own a PS3 will buy one just for this.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    What annoys me is if they just made the international version with an English translation (something so simple a bunch of fans did it themselves) they could have sold a ton more without the hassle of porting it.

If they ported it to PS3, as nice as that would be, it would be really stupid. It costs a lot more to make a port with updated graphics (rather than a simple translation) and on top of that a lot more people have PS2s than PS3s.

I doubt many people that don't own a PS3 will buy one just for this.
    the port would almost assuredly be a downloaded game, not a hard copy. graphics wise the ps3 has an upscaler for PS2 games to make them look better, so it wouldnt be hard to turn that on.

Having it as DLC would be nice, obviously saves the hassle of distribution.

Seems like it would be a huge download but I don't really know how big PS2 games are.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

4.5 gigs approx, with compression setup it could be much less. considering every ps3 has a hard drive and they are already starting to do PS2 games as downloads, Im quite sure it is doable.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Yeah, definitely give Tactics another playthrough. It's so worth it.

Also play Vagrant Story if you haven't.
    I'm surprised Vagrant Story wasn't the first comparison brought up because of how reminiscent the style is. I remember instantly noticing the link to VS when Larsa is hiding behind some stairs listening in on a conversation early on in the game.

Anyhow, there's a good reason for those feelings behind Tactics and V.S. though, being the same team or "dudes that have made my most favorite games of all time" have all been involved in them in some respect. Generally anything "Ivalice" or Yasumi Matsuno is really great and likely something you'll see common themes or styles in.

FUNFACT: Yiazmat is a reference to Matsuno!

#2! Ahihiko Yoshida, who worked on character design and art for all 3 games (XII, Tactics, VS) is XIV's art director!

ExcaliMod

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

is the FFXII for DS worth it?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

FFTA and the spin-offs are horrible though, just sayin'

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    is the FFXII for DS worth it?
    I fucking love it, but at its core it's an RTS. If it's worth anything, I've never played many RTSs and generally am not a big fan of them, but I'm playing it currently and am about 25 hours in, 77% done if that gives you any idea of play-time. It's a side-story to the events after XII.

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    FFTA and the spin-offs are horrible though, just sayin'
    What other spin-offs? Something besides FFTA2? As far as the Advance games are concerned, if you played FFT before them, I wouldn't even bother. It's a shell of the original and I really didn't like the first. Sort-of warmed up to the 2nd, but haven't gotten very far. It's like a Chrono Trigger/Cross deal in that trying to see it as a sequel will automatically make you consider it shitty. A lot people like the Advance games, though, so on its own maybe it's not that bad.

What's a good emulator for PS2 games these days? The 3 PS2's I have are barely functional at this point.

Edit: After some google-fu, this seems complicated. Need to mount an ISO of the game and let it sit in your DVD drive? What if I have the actual disc, can that be played on an emulator? I think I have it still...

Thanks for the link. Have one for where to download the games? Can you set it up to use an actual PS2 controller? I have a USB>PS2 converter already.